What kind of salary level should someone with my profile expect?

Hi all.

Seeking job as an English teacher in Bangkok, there seem to be so many factors at play regarding what size of wage one can expect to get one's hands on - age, race, level of education, whether one is a native speaker, etc. The vast majority of jobs posted online seem to be in the 30-40,000 baht/m. bracket. What I am especially curious about is what it takes to get into the better paying jobs, the ones that pay 50 or 60 thousand or more a month. If you have a profile like mine, that is: male, Scandinavian (thus non-native), 45 years old, Caucasian, Bachelor of arts (in music) from a top 100 university, globally, fluent in English (hardly any accent), close to zero teaching experience - will someone with such profile be able to secure positions paying more than 50 thousand a month in Bangkok? Will he even be able to secure the "lower" paying positions (under 40,000/m.)?

I have been searching for an answer to this question here and other places online, but not been even close to get a clear answer. What do you folks say? 

The major boosting factor to salary is QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and teaching experience in your home country. Then you can work in reputable international schools at salaries above 80,000.

You don't have this.

In this case, you could earn over 50,000 Baht a month teaching corporate classes. You would need to put in the hours and have some experience of working in a professional role. You would not be paid a fixed salary but an hourly rate. This means during holiday periods and sickness, you receive no income.

16 minutes ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

If you have a profile like mine, that is: male, Scandinavian (thus non-native), 45 years old, Caucasian, Bachelor of arts (in music) from a top 100 university, globally, fluent in English (hardly any accent), close to zero teaching experience - will someone with such profile be able to secure positions paying more than 50 thousand a month in Bangkok?

I think maximum 35,000 THB.

My daughter is in her last year at a UK university, studying to get QTS (PGCE in the UK).  She is mixed race, Thai/Brit, so fluent in both languages, also in Laos (Issan) and Mandarin. On enquiring about her prospects of teaching in Thailand once she is qualified, at a state school, no more than 20,000, at an international school 60,000, at a Bangkok private school/ English college, 30,000. Needless to say, she has also enquired in Singapore and Hong Kong and the salaries on offer there are many times those numbers, some with expat packages attached.  I very much doubt she will come here to teach.  

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My daughter is in her last year at a UK university, studying to get QTS (PGCE in the UK).  She is mixed race, Thai/Brit, so fluent in both languages, also in Laos (Issan) and Mandarin. On enquiring about her prospects of teaching in Thailand once she is qualified, at a state school, no more than 20,000, at an international school 60,000, at a Bangkok private school/ English college, 30,000. Needless to say, she has also enquired in Singapore and Hong Kong and the salaries on offer there are many times those numbers, some with expat packages attached.  I very much doubt she will come here to teach.  

Tell her China. My disruptive little brat is pulling about 4K US a month now after 2 years with a free pad and minimal expenses except her travel all over Asia costs.  But she is highly qualified.

Better if you can teach your own discipline, although how much demand there'd be for music here I wouldn't know.   But experienced engineers, etc., teaching their own disciplines can expect 100-150k per month. 

Archived