Hunt begins after Ukrainian passport used in B450k rental motorbike theft

webfact

Hunt begins after Ukrainian passport used in B450k rental motorbike theft

By The Phuket News

1552616903_1-org.jpg

The man entered the rental shop wearing a cap and sunglasses. Image: CCTV / Supplied

PHUKET: A motorbike rental company in Rawai is offering a reward for information that leads the recovery of Honda CB 1000 that was rented and not returned by a man who presented a Ukrainian passport, which the company now believes may be fake.

“We bought the motorcycle in December 2018. It’s a new model. Very few of these have been bought in Phuket, probably less than 10, and this one is red, of which there are only two or three on the island maximum,” explained Frenchman Patrice Ardennes French, shareholder of the rental company Thairoadways and partner of the company director, Inpoo Vorapitcha.

“This Ukrainian guy rented the bike for three days (from Mar 6-9). He left his passport as deposit, signed the rental contract, paid the rental amount and went off on the motorcycle,” Mr Ardennes said.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/hunt-begins-after-ukrainian-passport-used-in-b450k-rental-motorbike-theft-70715.php#3s8pRXOR1Hikbo9H.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-15

5 hours ago, Roel said:

This might be useful then. Took it from facebook.

53541046_1229753160525009_5743893613025165312_n.jpg

I am in hotel business, this is most certainly  fake passport. I have had a few Ukrainians and theirs did not look like that. Unless it’s a new one but highly unlikely. Never seen Ukrainian document with red logo , red is not Ukrainian colour, looks more Estonian or Latvian or Lithuanian 

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Prolly crated up and in a sea container on its way to Europe already 

Not possible, would not be accepted without export permit and other papers , unless they left original book with the bike.

i would say crashed it or sold it or used parts for his own one 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Not possible, would not be accepted without export permit and other papers , unless they left original book with the bike.

Because no one has ever bribed a Customs Official!

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Never seen Ukrainian document with red logo , red is not Ukrainian colour, looks more Estonian or Latvian or Lithuanian 

Which red logo?

The one in the upper left is the (international) symbol for a biometric passport issued since 2015.

And I see misc. samples of Ukrainian passports (non fakes) where it is in red.

And the article says that the passport had a visa from the Thai embassy in Kiev.

Also fake?

It's worth reading the whole article with the comments from Thai immigration official!

(left Thailand on February 27????)

Interesting to see that a search for "ukrainian passport" ends with tons of "fake passport" entries.

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Which red logo?

The one in the upper left is the (international) symbol for a biometric passport issued since 2015.

And I see misc. samples of Ukrainian passports (non fakes) where it is in red.

And the article says that the passport had a visa from the Thai embassy in Kiev.

Also fake?

It's worth reading the whole article with the comments from Thai immigration official!

(left Thailand on February 27????)

Interesting to see that a search for "ukrainian passport" ends with tons of "fake passport" entries.

I am telling you what I see and I am certain I see more than you. But whatever rocks your boat. 

I have not seen the visa nor am I an immigration officer to comment on visa authenticity 

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am telling you what I see and I am certain I see more than you. But whatever rocks your boat. 

I have not seen the visa nor am I an immigration officer to comment on visa authenticity 

Yet you didn’t know that the ‘logo’ means that his biometrics are included in the ‘biometric RFID strip’ in the passport. 

Examples from Wikipedia below...   How certain are you that you know more than BENQ and what about rocking boats ?

Of course, the passport could be fake... who would steel a bike with their real passport.  Unless something has happened to the lad who rented and they’ll find the bike down a cliff somewhere... but we can’t tell that from a photo that the passport is fake from a photo or because of a ‘red symbol’ !!!!

DC0F3911-1366-40E1-8A70-77FA9312A276.jpeg

AF10760C-3F18-4708-BECD-471F4B872FBB.jpeg

3 hours ago, BestB said:

What if it’s been dismantled? Engine alone must be worth a few bob

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet you didn’t know that the ‘logo’ means that his biometrics are included in the ‘biometric RFID strip’ in the passport. 

Examples from Wikipedia below...   How certain are you that you know more than BENQ and what about rocking boats ?

Of course, the passport could be fake... who would steel a bike with their real passport.  Unless something has happened to the lad who rented and they’ll find the bike down a cliff somewhere... but we can’t tell that from a photo that the passport is fake from a photo or because of a ‘red symbol’ !!!!

DC0F3911-1366-40E1-8A70-77FA9312A276.jpeg

AF10760C-3F18-4708-BECD-471F4B872FBB.jpeg

I said I have not seen Ukrainian passport with that red thingy , unless it was new. And I see a lot of them on daily basis . Have a look at google images what Ukrainian passports look like and also look at what fake ones look like and you will see the difference in red logo 

52FBCBF1-6817-4A5A-8BE2-D9DC360E0EF9.jpeg

I think the passport is genuine and this is probably what happened: 

From the article: 

"However, he also confirmed that a man who presented himself as Dmytro Maruniak had already left Thailand via Phuket airport on Feb 27.

The man was allowed leave Thailand after he presented an emergency travel document issued by the Ukrainian embassy, Col Kathathorn explained."

So the passport was stolen , Mr Maruniak entered Thailand in January with the same passport , that has already been confirmed by immigration.  And he left with emergency documents February 27, after reporting his PP stolen.  

In March this man walks in wearing caps and sunglasses.  He leaves the passport and the staff do not care to look closely enough to compare the picture in the passport with the man wearing a cap, maybe they look a bit similar, same age etc. 

So he gets away with the theft, and the bike is already sold or out of the country.  

This will be difficult to solve , consider the bike lost. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I said I have not seen Ukrainian passport with that red thingy , unless it was new. And I see a lot of them on daily basis . Have a look at google images what Ukrainian passports look like and also look at what fake ones look like and you will see the difference in red logo 

Then google Ukrainian Biometric passport....  and you will see your 'fake one' with the red logo (biometric logo) on the Wikipedia page as an an example of a Ukrainian Passport... 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then google Ukrainian Biometric passport....  and you will see your 'fake one' with the red logo (biometric logo) on the Wikipedia page as an an example of a Ukrainian Passport... 

Let’s try again for the 3rd time . I am yet to see one pictured here and I see passports on daily basis .

which part of this do you still struggle with ?

11 hours ago, balo said:

I think the passport is genuine and this is probably what happened: 

From the article: 

"However, he also confirmed that a man who presented himself as Dmytro Maruniak had already left Thailand via Phuket airport on Feb 27.

The man was allowed leave Thailand after he presented an emergency travel document issued by the Ukrainian embassy, Col Kathathorn explained."

So the passport was stolen , Mr Maruniak entered Thailand in January with the same passport , that has already been confirmed by immigration.  And he left with emergency documents February 27, after reporting his PP stolen.  

In March this man walks in wearing caps and sunglasses.  He leaves the passport and the staff do not care to look closely enough to compare the picture in the passport with the man wearing a cap, maybe they look a bit similar, same age etc. 

So he gets away with the theft, and the bike is already sold or out of the country.  

This will be difficult to solve , consider the bike lost. 

Yes, you summed up the timeline well, but I wouldn't necessarily assume the PP was stolen. 

By leaving the country, before the document was used in a crime, the holder has to be absolved from blame. However, he could still be an accomplice in the sting. 

Many people sell or pass on their travel documents for nefarious purposes. There is a good reason some countries won't issue further passports to people who seek replacements too often.

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

this is a 1000cc, what is a big bike then

A big bike, like the one I ride is powered by 4 jet turbines from a 787.

Seriously it was early and I had barely opened my eyes when I first read this, though it said CB 100.

7 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Seriously? You believe a motorcycle theft is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Motor bike theft is bad all theft is bad but so is extortion .Holding your passport as blackmail until you pay some totally excessive made up amount of money for a minor repair is also bad.I refer to the hundreds of reports of people being forced to pay stupid sums  of money and when they involved the police,guess whose side the police were on.

Archived