Hunt begins after Ukrainian passport used in B450k rental motorbike theft

webfact

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Let’s try again for the 3rd time . I am yet to see one pictured here and I see passports on daily basis .

You clearly don't look very closely st them do you? If you did you would have known what the biometric tab was at the top left. I have a feeling you may be blowing your own trumpet a tad too much.

3 minutes ago, I am More Thai Than You said:

You clearly don't look very closely st them do you? If you did you would have known what the biometric tab was at the top left. I have a feeling you may be blowing your own trumpet a tad too much.

I have a feeling you talking out of your backside . I have a brand new passport and it does not have one. 

Motor bike theft is bad all theft is bad but so is extortion .Holding your passport as blackmail until you pay some totally excessive made up amount of money for a minor repair is also bad.I refer to the hundreds of reports of people being forced to pay stupid sums  of money and when they involved the police,guess whose side the police were on.

And of the hundreds of “reports” you mention, how many are you sure that damage was not caused while the vehicle was in the possession of the customer?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

Motor bike theft is bad all theft is bad but so is extortion .Holding your passport as blackmail until you pay some totally excessive made up amount of money for a minor repair is also bad.I refer to the hundreds of reports of people being forced to pay stupid sums  of money and when they involved the police,guess whose side the police were on.

No way I would ever give any rental company my passport. They can copy it; however, if they wanted the passport left as security I would walk away.

An Australian passport remains the property of the Australian Government.

2 hours ago, CeeGee said:

Really, How many bikes are hired on an average, every day. Thousands - but you refer to hundreds of reports (hardly any on TV) which also involve police collusion... Get out much?

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

And of the hundreds of “reports” you mention, how many are you sure that damage was not caused while the vehicle was in the possession of the customer?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No denying the damage caused by the customer,just google Thailand motorbike scams and see what is said there and then see why this is a well known scam.Nothing more to say apart from, yes there are honest motorbike renters but in certain areas of Thailand this is a common scam.

2 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

No denying the damage caused by the customer,just google Thailand motorbike scams and see what is said there and then see why this is a well known scam.Nothing more to say apart from, yes there are honest motorbike renters but in certain areas of Thailand this is a common scam.

Yes, if it's online then it must be real. ????

1 minute ago, CeeGee said:

Sorry, no point in continuing this discussion,surprising if you do google it, the first entry is from Thai Visa. 

Not wanting to be precocious, but I did say hardly any. Seriously, most of the crap you read online is by attention seeking wannabees. So many fake stories it is impossible to believe any.

There are many farangs hiring out bikes, would you trust them?

If you know someone personally that has experienced this, or have direct knowledge of it happening then you can make a stance otherwise you are just blowing hot air, as they say in the classics. Pity everyone forgets about them classics.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

I have a feeling you talking out of your backside . I have a brand new passport and it does not have one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_passport

This is the Ukrainian Passport - According to Wikipedia - the Biometric logo is clear to see.

You have mentioned that you see a lot of Ukrainian Passports yet have not seen the Biometric Logo on any Ukrainian passport you have encountered, as such you have drawn the conclusion that a Ukrainian Passport with a Biotmetric logo is fake.

BestB - this question is aimed directly at you.... Do you think the Wikipedia Image is wrong?

Anyone who lends out a vehicle, or anything worth that much is nuts, in my opinion. I am mildly surprised it didn't disappear sooner...

Surely only big companies can afford the insurance alone? One wonders if it is insured as a hire vehicle, or just the shop owner private insurance to save money.

So it would appear, from the full news report, that this passport was, in fact genuine, (red logo not withstanding!) but had been lost or stolen.

Therefore the hirer company were not very vigilant when it came to scrutinizing the hirer's licence to make sure that the name on the documents matched. How very clumsy of them.

Unless of course the original holder just happened to have, very carelessly, lost his motorcycle licence along with his passport.

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So it would appear, from the full news report, that this passport was, in fact genuine, (red logo not withstanding!) but had been lost or stolen.

Passport was genuine.

Holder left the country on emergency travel document.

Let's speculate:

Not lost or stolen, just handed to an accomplice for the rent.

Passport holder reports document as lost/stolen and leaves the country on emergency travel document. Accomplice has all the time to get the bike shipped/smuggled out of the country.

Or no accomplice involved. Passport holder covers face so that he can not be recognized.

Rest as above.

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Passport was genuine.

Holder left the country on emergency travel document.

Let's speculate:

Not lost or stolen, just handed to an accomplice for the rent.

Passport holder reports document as lost/stolen and leaves the country on emergency travel document. Accomplice has all the time to get the bike shipped/smuggled out of the country.

Or no accomplice involved. Passport holder covers face so that he can not be recognized.

Rest as above.

Read the full report in the Phuket News and you will come across this:

However, he also confirmed that a man who presented himself as Dmytro Maruniak had already left Thailand via Phuket airport on Feb 27.

The man was allowed leave Thailand after he presented an emergency travel document issued by the Ukrainian embassy, Col Kathathorn explained.

So the perp was not Mr. Maruniak as you suggest and If he did hand over his passport to an accomplice, for the con to be watertight he would have to have handed over his licence as well.

Which is why I suggested earlier, that the hire company was very lax. They should have checked that the names on the two documents matched and that the face of the hirer matched the photos. Very negligent when you consider the value of the motorcycle.

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

They should have checked that the names on the two documents matched and that the face of the hirer matched the photos.

Might even have been worth a call to the hotel that the thief supposed to live at?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, BestB said:

I am in hotel business, this is most certainly  fake passport. I have had a few Ukrainians and theirs did not look like that. Unless it’s a new one but highly unlikely. Never seen Ukrainian document with red logo , red is not Ukrainian colour, looks more Estonian or Latvian or Lithuanian 

Well, it ain't new for sure as it was issued November 4, 2015.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:17 PM, Moonlover said:

Therefore the hirer company were not very vigilant when it came to scrutinizing the hirer's licence to make sure that the name on the documents matched. How very clumsy of them.

We all look alike to them? ????

Regarding a license, nothing is mentioned in the article and also, I have never been asked for a license in Thailand, so possible/likely there was no license at all.

Question really is, did the guy who lost his passport genuinely lose it, 1 week before the theft? Was this an opportunist crime, perpetrated by someone who conveniently found a passport and decided to steal a bike - not likely IMO

Could even be the passport owner sold it to a shady person and was not aware what it would be used for.

The bike wouldn't need to leave the country, plenty of ways to disguise it if you have the tools and a place to do it. More than likely somewhere far from Phuket.

Archived