Loud, shrill mechanical bird calls

guywith2kids

My two kids' sleep have been interrupted by very loud shrill noise that seem to imitate bird calls. It takes place in the early hours in the morning, sometimes at 2am, 4am and 5am. It does not seem to be produced by real birds. To me it comes from a mechanical or electronic device.

Does anyone know what the device is?

1 hour ago, guywith2kids said:

loud shrill noise that seem to imitate bird calls. It takes place in the early hours in the morning, sometimes at 2am, 4am and 5am.

We get from time to time something that sounds like bird noises you describe I thought it might be lizards and still not sure whether it be a type of bird or not, the shrill noise repeats and can be very loud as you say. 

1 hour ago, jvs said:

This one?

No, it is definitely not the Asian koel.

The bird calls that my family hears do not sound natural. They seem to come from a house further down the street.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-Songbird-Magnet-Electronic-Caller/dp/B000FG8B5K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VI4E5OOZCDAE&keywords=bird+caller&qid=1552635711&s=gateway&sprefix=bird+call%2Caps%2C1072&sr=8-4

Edited by guywith2kids

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

We get from time to time something that sounds like bird noises you describe I thought it might be lizards and still not sure whether it be a type of bird or not, the shrill noise repeats and can be very loud as you say. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-Songbird-Magnet-Electronic-Caller/dp/B000FG8B5K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VI4E5OOZCDAE&keywords=bird+caller&qid=1552635711&s=gateway&sprefix=bird+call%2Caps%2C1072&sr=8-4

We are living in Samut Prakan now. We heard similary noises when we were living in the north of the country.

Edited by guywith2kids

On 3/15/2019 at 7:50 AM, jvs said:

Can you record the sound so we can hear it?Does it sound like the device that was posted?Where do you live?In a town near a traffic light?

Impossible to record.

According to a colleague of mine who had been living in the north of Thailand, the device produces loud, shrill noises to scare birds in rice fields. Expensive devices can project loud, shrill noises up to 500 meters in radius. They can be battery-operated (think lithium batteries) or powered by an electrical source.

Farmers occasionally use them to scare birds away.

Edited by guywith2kids
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, guywith2kids said:

Impossible to record.

Really?? You can hear it therefore you can record it ????

There are some birds that make really mechanical sounding noises, we have one that does a "bok, bok, bok" noise for what seems to be hours on end.

EDIT Assuming it is a bird scarer and it's definitely coming from a specific house.  What do you intend doing?

In the early weeks of Winter when winds are ideal for flying kites you can hear what sounds like some form of computer generated electronic or Moog music.

Sometimes these kites are left to fly all night, they can ound almost next door or at some distance, loud enough to keep you awake if you have woken up.

There are numerous bird calls, even crows make loud calls when flying in the early morning.

Tokay lizards can make loud calls but they often sound like a clock unwinding.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, guywith2kids said:

My two kids' sleep have been interrupted by very loud shrill noise that seem to imitate bird calls. It takes place in the early hours in the morning, sometimes at 2am, 4am and 5am. It does not seem to be produced by real birds. To me it comes from a mechanical or electronic device.

Why don't you go out and find where the noise is coming from instead of getting us to guess what device is making the noise? Simple innit?     dnftt.gif

Edited by Rally123

It could be recordings of swifts through loudspeakers, sounds very metallic. It’s used to attract swifts to come and nest in a designated dark empty room. The nests are harvested for the birds nest soup/beverage industry

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Does the sound repeat? Start strong, repeat for 4, 5, 6 even 7 times running out of 'puff'..... Does it go like this..... "Tooo Kay" and repeat, if so, it's one of these and it'ss not going to go away!

This is Ted, one of I think around 8 on our property...... Ted took to shouting into the bathroom, though the window, it gave his 'mating call' so much more volume...... We soon put a stop to that malrky, we shut the window. They are no bother....... Just don't put your finger in there face!

621130_10151072577507858_1808847554_o (2).jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tonto21 said:

Does the sound repeat? Start strong, repeat for 4, 5, 6 even 7 times running out of 'puff'..... Does it go like this..... "Tooo Kay" and repeat, if so, it's one of these and it'ss not going to go away!

This is Ted, one of I think around 8 on our property...... Ted took to shouting into the bathroom, though the window, it gave his 'mating call' so much more volume...... We soon put a stop to that malrky, we shut the window. They are no bother....... Just don't put your finger in there face!

621130_10151072577507858_1808847554_o (2).jpg

Brilliant little photo...

Out "Ted" was called "Monty"-the little bugger-tho' I kinda missed him when he disappeared.

Kinda like the rat snake downstairs..I don't know how many times I told him.."Please do not obstruct the exit."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, Thongkorn said:

If not a Gowow. It maybe a tooker. 

I agree that the bird in the film in post #3 is a nok gaa-wao (Thai name). Alternative spelling gowow.

I believe its western name is an Asian Koel or Common Koel.

I love their exuberant call, whatever the time of day or night.