Bangkok students strike against climate change

webfact

Bangkok students strike against climate change

By The Nation

9c571b9b43d5a4909feb701d029f1068-sld.jpe

Photo cr:Greenpeacethailand

Bangkok students led by an 11-year-old, among others, went on strike on Friday and abandoned their classrooms to join the global “Fridays for Future” movement calling for action on climate change and environmental protection.

As documented on the Twitter account “greenpeaceth”, the students rallied outside the Public Service Centre at Government House with a petition for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. 

Many carried signs with messages in English reading “Youth4Climate”, “School Strike”, “There is no Planet B”, “The oceans are rising and so are we” and “I do not want to clean up after my parents”.

The 11-year-old, identified only as Lily, read aloud an open letter asking the government to take immediate action on air pollution, single-use plastics, climate change and deforestation. 

“Our Earth cannot wait and we cannot do it by ourselves and we need the government to help us now,” she said. “It’s everyone’s responsibility to help the Earth, but with the help of the government, it will be faster and more powerful.”

Schoolchildren, parents and other supporters were expected to hold similar demonstrations in 100 countries on Friday. 

The movement was inspired by 16-year-old Swede Greta Thunberg, who spent all of last August protesting over climate change outside the Swedish parliament, and then when her school semester began, continued her protests on Fridays. 

Thunberg was invited to address the UN Climate Conference in December and has been nominated by three Norwegian lawmakers for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365861

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-15

Swedish child leads because ?

Thai only interested in charms, and shrines as methods of taking action?

Thai schools don't deal with climate change and use a us type curriculum inspired by trump

Thai schools don't teach anything outside of using Burmians laos and others for labour?

just stupid?

7 hours ago, seajae said:

what a laugh, most thai students are dumb as dog sh*t and can barely read and write let alone speak and understand english

but I think the point is mainly to inform and persuade the government?? also you can see online that many of the signs were translated in Thai as well. you’re a racist piece of shit. ????

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

More ignorant kids being used as tools by the Radical environmentalists.

disgusting how you’re talking about the people who are trying to change the problems that your generation has caused.

9 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

So why not just go out clean your filthy country up 

Signs don't help action does 

exactly, which is why around 50 students can’t go and just clean up the whole of Thailand. these students are there to inform the public and speak to the government so actual change can happen. rude online comments dont help either, ACTION DOES. 

9 hours ago, jgfjuhg said:

disgusting how you’re talking about the people who are trying to change the problems that your generation has caused.

Oh how childish and silly. Tell us how the baby boomer generation has destroyed the world then? Oh and I assume you don't contribute to global warming.

Bet snookems calls me a denier soon. Ouch.

19 hours ago, marquis22 said:

I'm glad I won't be around to witness the non-action of ignorant climate change sceptics!

I'm glad I won't be around to witness the non-action of ignorant climate change proponents who think that they can change something that's been happening for millions of years. And the planet's still here.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'm glad I won't be around to witness the non-action of ignorant climate change proponents who think that they can change something that's been happening for millions of years. And the planet's still here.

Point is, it HAS been happening for millions of years, and no one has done anything to stop it. Finally, people actually decide to take action and you call them ‘ignorant’. The planet is still here, you think a whole planet will suddenly disappear ? The earth is billions of years old, and humans have only been on it for a short period of time compared to it. Yet they have already destroyed so much of its landscape. 

20 hours ago, jgfjuhg said:

Point is, it HAS been happening for millions of years, and no one has done anything to stop it. Finally, people actually decide to take action and you call them ‘ignorant’. The planet is still here, you think a whole planet will suddenly disappear ? The earth is billions of years old, and humans have only been on it for a short period of time compared to it. Yet they have already destroyed so much of its landscape. 

No one has done anything to stop it because no one can!

I do not think that the "whole planet will disappear", I did not say that it would, precisely the opposite; it's the ignorant climate-change proponents that wrongly claim that the planet is in danger of disappearing due to climate!

23 hours ago, jgfjuhg said:

Yet they have already destroyed so much of its landscape. 

Yeah well I like Arizona a lot better before Nature put that stupid Grand Canyon there. Giant holes in the ground indeed.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Nyezhov said:

Oh how childish and silly. Tell us how the baby boomer generation has destroyed the world then? Oh and I assume you don't contribute to global warming.

Bet snookems calls me a denier soon. Ouch.

EVERYONE contributes to it. But these people are actually trying to do something about it and break the habits that we humans have as part of our day-to-day basis. What have you done ?

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No one has done anything to stop it because no one can!

I do not think that the "whole planet will disappear", I did not say that it would, precisely the opposite; it's the ignorant climate-change proponents that wrongly claim that the planet is in danger of disappearing due to climate!

Not true at all. These so called ‘ignorant climate-change proponents’ are trying to make the world we live in a healthy and proper environment for the future generations to live in. How would you like to live in a place where you have to wear masks just to be able to breathe normally? I bet you’re one of those Trump-supporters whom believe global warming is fake.

7 minutes ago, jgfjuhg said:

EVERYONE contributes to it. But these people are actually trying to do something about it and break the habits that we humans have as part of our day-to-day basis. What have you done ?

Whats to do then? Turn down the airconditioning? I do what all minimalists do, I exist and try not to use too much and own even less. I do it on my own, I am not forced to, not do I think .gov has the right to tell anyone how to live and what to eat.

What do you do?

6 minutes ago, jgfjuhg said:

How would you like to live in a place where you have to wear masks just to be able to breathe normally? I bet you’re one of those Trump-supporters whom believe global warming is fake.

Im in BKK so Ive worn the mask.

I beleive that climate changed is a ginned up manufactured crisis by folks with certain political goals. I beleived that before Trump and will beleive it after he is gone.

When the climate changes there are winners and losers.

Countries closest to the poles are getting warmer and they are the winners. They'll have longer growing seasons and use less fuel for heating.

Countries near the equator are the losers - they are getting too hot and many will turn into a desert.

13 hours ago, jgfjuhg said:

Not true at all. These so called ‘ignorant climate-change proponents’ are trying to make the world we live in a healthy and proper environment for the future generations to live in. How would you like to live in a place where you have to wear masks just to be able to breathe normally? I bet you’re one of those Trump-supporters whom believe global warming is fake.

In which world is it necessary for everyone to wear masks to just breathe normally everywhere due to climate change?  Let me help you with that one...not this planet.

"Global warming"? You need to follow what's been going on for the last few years, that expression has not been used for a long, long time by those who know what they are talking about because global warming has been well and truly debunked by the scientific community.  "Climate change" hasn't because it's been happening for millions of years and nothing that the feeble human species can do will ever be able to change it. 

What has my support, or otherwise, for Donald Trump got to do with anything?

Archived