Residency Cert. 4 motorbike purchase??

Residency cert. for buying a motorcycle????  

Was just at Jomtien Immigration to obtain a residency certificate in order to purchase a motorcycle.  They demanded to see the green book, photocopies of the owners passport, stamps etc and bill of sale.  Doesn't sound right to me.  Anybody have/had the same experience??

Yes ,you need res' cert'  to buy new or to transfer secondhand.  

I normally get them through an agent pattaya 1000bt.  this time [2 months ago ] she wanted sales contract and green book.  obviously you won't have a green book for a new bike. 

Also said she can't get res' cert' for bank A/C anymore.    

I got two from Jomtien only last month to renew my licencenes, easy and very efficient. Copies of passport pages and chanote. However there was a guy that had been the day before and had to come back, then was asked for the greenbook. Maybe tell them its to do your lcence?

It's just nutty that I have to go to ThaiVisa to find info on this sort of thing.  This country would do well by providing simple, useful information on a website that informs us on requirements.  Quite remarkable that Thailand is so lacking in that regard. 

49 minutes ago, Randy99 said:

Haha.  Yes, I just did the same thing a week ago for DL renewal and had no issues.  It's the bike purchase that has different requirements.   Ugggg.

I certainly wouldn't hand over the original greenbook if I was selling without the full purchase price or very large deposit...do they insert reg details on the residence letter?....a residence letter is just that...to show where you reside, no more and no less...regardless what it is required for...mine didnt include driving license anywhere just stated pp number, and address

I certainly wouldn't hand over the original greenbook if I was selling without the full purchase price or very large deposit...do they insert reg details on the residence letter?....a residence letter is just that...to show where you reside, no more and no less...regardless what it is required for...mine didnt include driving license anywhere just stated pp number, and address
Yes!!! You totally get my point. I don't knòw whether or not the certificate identifies it's specific use or whether they're generic. The application requires that you indicate the intended purpose of the cert.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Randy99 said:

Residency cert. for buying a motorcycle????  

Was just at Jomtien Immigration to obtain a residency certificate in order to purchase a motorcycle.  They demanded to see the green book, photocopies of the owners passport, stamps etc and bill of sale.  Doesn't sound right to me.  Anybody have/had the same experience??

If you're purchasing new, the dealer will arrange everything. They may charge you around 700 baht or you can bargain to get to for free. If you're purchasing used, you can ask an agent to do the transfer for 700baht + cost of name change. No need for residency certificate and other BS. Privileges must be bought for most people unless you're famous or have connections. 

Edited by onera1961

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

If you're purchasing new, the dealer will arrange everything. They may charge you around 700 baht or you can bargain to get to for free. If you're purchasing used, you can ask an agent to do the transfer for 700baht + cost of name change. No need for residency certificate and other BS. Privileges must be bought for most people unless you're famous or have connections.  

The dealer also needs a certificate of residence (or yellow book or work permit), they also can't do it without any document confirming the address

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The dealer also needs a certificate of residence (or yellow book or work permit), they also can't do it without any document confirming the address

I talked to a dealer and he said if I have a TM 30 It is ok and they can process it. Eventually I bought a used one and paid 700 baht to the agent and he processed everything without any certificate. I just had to fill up a form at the agent's office with my address backed up by my lease. when the agent saw my TM 30 in my passport, he said you don't need to fill up the the form. But he still needs 700 baht as his agent fees. I gladly paid. 

Edited by onera1961

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most replies don't seem to get it. A newish requirement to buy the bike and then get a residence cert for the registration. A strange way to do it, but I've heard it a few times

How is it newish? When I bough my first bike in 2018 in Pattaya, I first bought it at the shop. Then when I got the green book from the shop (about 1 week latter) I went to Immigration for a Residence Certificate so that I can get my official bike white plaque (not the temporary red one). From what I know it's still the same procedure today.

Edited by Pattaya46

How is it newish? When I bough my first bike in 2018 in Pattaya, I first bought it at the shop. Then when I got the green book from the shop (about 1 week latter) I went to Immigration for a Residence Certificate so that I can get my official bike white plaque (not the temporary red one). From what I know it's still the same procedure today.

Oct 17 when buying my bike i took my residence cert and the shop registered it using that.

At some time in 2018 after another crackdown, jomtien immigration would only issue the cert once its seen purchase confirmation, so a different process and matches what the op has experienced.

The solution might be to ask the shop if they'd accept a certificate if it said for driving licence. I don't think the shop would care

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why isn't this thread in forum re licenses, motor vehicles etc. Hardly visa related. BTW you can obtain RC at embassy if problems elsewhere.

OP was about getting residence certificates.

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Oops. I meant 2008, not 2018! Too late to edit to fix it...

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
45 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:
Oops. I meant 2008, not 2018! Too late to edit to fix it...

Don't you think 2008 info is a bit old? probably lots of changes in 10 years

No, as it was precisely to say that it was exactly the same procedure as now in 2019...

I was asking what is "newish" in the procedure, as seems to me that nothing changed ??

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

No, as it was precisely to say that it was exactly the same procedure as now in 2019...

I was asking what is "newish" in the procedure, as seems to me that nothing changed ??

the change is you need a copy of the green book and a sales contract to get the res' cert ' from immo'

• Like 1