BANGKOK 20 March 2019 06:31
Fixit89

Just got a VOID stamp on my new tourist visa , help?

Hello all, I have had 2 back to back METVs along with one stand alone SETV issued in USA as well back early in 2017 I think . I am am an American . This was denied in Vietnam . Received my passport back with a VOID stamp on my tourist visa . I do not work in thailand and would have been happy to supply them with proof of employment in USA . The consulate said they could not give anymore information to me regarding as to why it was voided . Not helpful at all.  

Where do do I go from here ? What are my options ? Can I go to Bangkok airport and get a visa exempt or do I risk getting denied entry? Of course I have 20,000 b in cash always in my pocket so no problem . Or should I go to do a land crossing?

any information would be helpful, thank you very much everyone 

Guess a land crossing is the best alternative when this has happened...

You will get it sorted out I hope and guess, but flying in could be risky - anything out of the ordinary could be a "flag" for IM, especially when running into the wrong officer!

• Like 1

You have my sympathy. I would recommend entering by land. Perhaps, you could fly to Vientiane, and cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.

Did you have this experience in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You have my sympathy. I would recommend entering by land. Perhaps, you could fly to Vientiane, and cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.

Did you have this experience in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?

Thank you to both of you very much for your responses. I’m very saddened by this and reading through the forums it seems that in HCMC this has been known to happen! If I only knew I would have went to Singapore or something. What a shame !

What if I got a new passport in a different country? Or is that taking it a step too far? I’m willing to do anything besides being held at an airport and embarrassed (omg) . 

I also believe that in this past year 2018 I have spent more time in thailand than USA , but I was on an METV(shouldn’t make a difference) ugh . In the past 5 years I’ve stayed longer in Thailand rather than USA 

Was just about to ask your recent history. You mention back to back metvs and also setv but indicated 2017. Now mention most of 2018 spent in Thailand. Personally, NO WAY would I risk flight into bkk for VE entry. A refusal could be BAD. You could be flown to where you boarded... Saigon/Hanoi....Could be refused entry there (without current visa for Vietnam) Then flown back to USA. BritTim gave good advice. Try and get to loas. Visa exempt crossing from somewhere like Vientiane.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Was just about to ask your recent history. You mention back to back metvs and also setv but indicated 2017. Now mention most of 2018 spent in Thailand. Personally, NO WAY would I risk flight into bkk for VE entry. A refusal could be BAD. You could be flown to where you boarded... Saigon/Hanoi....Could be refused entry there (without current visa for Vietnam) Then flown back to USA. BritTim gave good advice. Try and get to loas. Visa exempt crossing from somewhere like Vientiane.

Point well noted. Thank you for your continued support and replies. Much appreciated 

so I will pose the question. Why is a land border safer than an air border (aside from BKK) ? No one has ever been denied at a land border from a void stamp?

I’m guessing a void stamp is better than a red stamp or something ? Please make me feel better with more of your kind and helpful comments.

thank you everyone 

Stricter Immigration procedures at airports than land border crossings.

You'll only get a 30 day Visa exempt entry, which you can extend for another 30 days at Immigration.

Long term if you want to continue staying in Thailand, you need to find an alternative to TV's.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Stricter Immigration procedures at airports than land border crossings.

You'll only get a 30 day Visa exempt entry, which you can extend for another 30 days at Immigration.

Long term if you want to continue staying in Thailand, you need to find an alternative to TV's.

True . Thank you. And How unfortunate .

Any other land crossings aside from Nong Khai / Laos ? 

Would getting a new passport reset reset everything for me ? I’m willing to get a new one just so I can fly back in . Waiting for some experts to reply back. Thank you all 

2 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

Would getting a new passport reset reset everything for me ? I’m willing to get a new one just so I can fly back in . Waiting for some experts to reply back. Thank you all 

Where would you get a new PP from and what Nationality are you ?

To get a new UK PP in Thailand , you have to show proof of an address to show that you are living in Thailand and the old PP is linked to the new one .

Previously getting a new PP would reset everything , but that may have changed recently with the new clampdowns

5 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

A new passport would help as Embassies don't connect previous passports.

However Embassies are now restricting the number of repeat TV's in a passport to 3/4.

It could buy you another 12 months, but you need a more permanent fix long term.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

To get a new UK PP in Thailand , you have to show proof of an address to show that you are living in Thailand and the old PP is linked to the new one .

The old passport is only linked to the new one by Immigration at entry to Thailand.

He hasn't been refused entry.

Embassies do not link a change of passport to obtain more TV's.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

The old passport is only linked to the new one by Immigration at entry to Thailand.

He hasn't been refused entry.

Embassies do not link a change of passport to obtain more TV's.

Yes, I was stating that a new PP wouldnt "reset everything" in regards to his arrival/departure record 

In your OP you say the TV has been voided in Vietnam? 

What would hinder you from flying into Bangkok? 

travel to Phnom Penh;

than bus to Battamabang- shared taxi to Pailin an cross there

or fly into Siem Rep- shared taxi to Osmach ad cross there

BUT I'd travel somewhere an apply for a new passport, ( US passport takes about 2 weeks, you can apply for a new US passport anywhere there is a US embassy) unlike being deported, there will be no record in the computer you had a visa cancelled so ur new passport will be fine for land borders.

Your OLD visas will still be seen as there crossed reference to a new passport

I'd hang out in Cambodia

Edited by phuketrichard

Very unfortunate that Thailand is becoming a cat and mouse game for perpetual tourists and difficult for retirees. May be they no longer require foreign currency due to massive influx of Chinese and Indian Tourists. We may have to find a different place.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1