Just got a VOID stamp on my new tourist visa , help?

Hello all, I have had 2 back to back METVs along with one stand alone SETV issued in USA as well back early in 2017 I think . I am am an American . This was denied in Vietnam . Received my passport back with a VOID stamp on my tourist visa . I do not work in thailand and would have been happy to supply them with proof of employment in USA . The consulate said they could not give anymore information to me regarding as to why it was voided . Not helpful at all.  

Where do do I go from here ? What are my options ? Can I go to Bangkok airport and get a visa exempt or do I risk getting denied entry? Of course I have 20,000 b in cash always in my pocket so no problem . Or should I go to do a land crossing?

any information would be helpful, thank you very much everyone 

Guess a land crossing is the best alternative when this has happened...

You will get it sorted out I hope and guess, but flying in could be risky - anything out of the ordinary could be a "flag" for IM, especially when running into the wrong officer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You have my sympathy. I would recommend entering by land. Perhaps, you could fly to Vientiane, and cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai.

Did you have this experience in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?

Thank you to both of you very much for your responses. I’m very saddened by this and reading through the forums it seems that in HCMC this has been known to happen! If I only knew I would have went to Singapore or something. What a shame !

What if I got a new passport in a different country? Or is that taking it a step too far? I’m willing to do anything besides being held at an airport and embarrassed (omg) . 

I also believe that in this past year 2018 I have spent more time in thailand than USA , but I was on an METV(shouldn’t make a difference) ugh . In the past 5 years I’ve stayed longer in Thailand rather than USA 

Was just about to ask your recent history. You mention back to back metvs and also setv but indicated 2017. Now mention most of 2018 spent in Thailand. Personally, NO WAY would I risk flight into bkk for VE entry. A refusal could be BAD. You could be flown to where you boarded... Saigon/Hanoi....Could be refused entry there (without current visa for Vietnam) Then flown back to USA. BritTim gave good advice. Try and get to loas. Visa exempt crossing from somewhere like Vientiane.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Was just about to ask your recent history. You mention back to back metvs and also setv but indicated 2017. Now mention most of 2018 spent in Thailand. Personally, NO WAY would I risk flight into bkk for VE entry. A refusal could be BAD. You could be flown to where you boarded... Saigon/Hanoi....Could be refused entry there (without current visa for Vietnam) Then flown back to USA. BritTim gave good advice. Try and get to loas. Visa exempt crossing from somewhere like Vientiane.

Point well noted. Thank you for your continued support and replies. Much appreciated 

so I will pose the question. Why is a land border safer than an air border (aside from BKK) ? No one has ever been denied at a land border from a void stamp?

I’m guessing a void stamp is better than a red stamp or something ? Please make me feel better with more of your kind and helpful comments.

thank you everyone 

• Like 1

Stricter Immigration procedures at airports than land border crossings.

You'll only get a 30 day Visa exempt entry, which you can extend for another 30 days at Immigration.

Long term if you want to continue staying in Thailand, you need to find an alternative to TV's.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Stricter Immigration procedures at airports than land border crossings.

You'll only get a 30 day Visa exempt entry, which you can extend for another 30 days at Immigration.

Long term if you want to continue staying in Thailand, you need to find an alternative to TV's.

True . Thank you. And How unfortunate .

Any other land crossings aside from Nong Khai / Laos ? 

Would getting a new passport reset reset everything for me ? I’m willing to get a new one just so I can fly back in . Waiting for some experts to reply back. Thank you all 

2 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

Would getting a new passport reset reset everything for me ? I’m willing to get a new one just so I can fly back in . Waiting for some experts to reply back. Thank you all 

Where would you get a new PP from and what Nationality are you ?

To get a new UK PP in Thailand , you have to show proof of an address to show that you are living in Thailand and the old PP is linked to the new one .

Previously getting a new PP would reset everything , but that may have changed recently with the new clampdowns

5 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

A new passport would help as Embassies don't connect previous passports.

However Embassies are now restricting the number of repeat TV's in a passport to 3/4.

It could buy you another 12 months, but you need a more permanent fix long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

To get a new UK PP in Thailand , you have to show proof of an address to show that you are living in Thailand and the old PP is linked to the new one .

The old passport is only linked to the new one by Immigration at entry to Thailand.

He hasn't been refused entry.

Embassies do not link a change of passport to obtain more TV's.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

The old passport is only linked to the new one by Immigration at entry to Thailand.

He hasn't been refused entry.

Embassies do not link a change of passport to obtain more TV's.

Yes, I was stating that a new PP wouldnt "reset everything" in regards to his arrival/departure record 

travel to Phnom Penh;

than bus to Battamabang- shared taxi to Pailin an cross there

or fly into Siem Rep- shared taxi to Osmach ad cross there

BUT I'd travel somewhere an apply for a new passport, ( US passport takes about 2 weeks, you can apply for a new US passport anywhere there is a US embassy) unlike being deported, there will be no record in the computer you had a visa cancelled so ur new passport will be fine for land borders.

Your OLD visas will still be seen as there crossed reference to a new passport

I'd hang out in Cambodia

Edited by phuketrichard

Very unfortunate that Thailand is becoming a cat and mouse game for perpetual tourists and difficult for retirees. May be they no longer require foreign currency due to massive influx of Chinese and Indian Tourists. We may have to find a different place.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

You mean they issued you an SETV then voided it, or never issued a SETV but stamped your last TV as void ?

OK, answer is in the title...was skimming through this thread...that is weird that they issued it but then voided it...why not just say 'sorry, no visa for you sunshine.... ! "

Edited by freedomnow

Thank you everyone for the continued responses , as I am deeply grateful for you all..

at this point I have thought to go to phonm penh Cambodia and get a new passport at the US embassy . The processing time is 10 Days via there website. I am OK with this. Now , I know this does not clear the system for immigration but it does clear the IO ideation that I may have been staying in Thailand too long or not. For example with a new passport there is nothing to check, and a simple visa exempt stamp would be so easy on my eyes . Am I right ?

regarding another poster , you are correct I have not been denied entry into Thailand . And yes I could go apply for another visa , and I could potentially risk going by air into the DMK or BKK airports. But I do not wish to risk the potential embarrassment at this point of what may or may not happen..

also right now now I am weighing my options as the land border at Laos to Nong Khai seems very good , but even better with a clean passport ! Zero potential for risk. Am I right again?

i know that there is not any risk involved right now on a visa exEmpt theough a land border but why risk it right ? Can someone clear my mind and portentially save my time? Maybe I don’t have to get a new passport in Cambodia and just head for the land in Laos and get back to my “home” in Thailand ? Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

where the application fee has already been taken, but the visa application subsequently denied.

How rude. They take the money and deny visa. If OP does not have any connection with Thailand like GF or child, it is better to forget about Thailand and spend money where there are no issues. I made a mistake 14 years ago and stuck here but I plan to spend only 6-months in Thailand. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

How rude. They take the money and deny visa. If OP does not have any connection with Thailand like GF or child, it is better to forget about Thailand and spend money where there are no issues. I made a mistake 14 years ago and stuck here but I plan to spend only 6-months in Thailand. 

Yeah I actually have a girlfriend and an apartment that ends next month . So , for this news I will be leaving Thailand forever after songkran and end of April. Super disappointed 

i'd just keep the passport for now.  fly SGN to KUL and take train to thai border and then fly from hat yai to dmk (domestic so no passport checks).  SGN-KUL is cheap one way and they have non stops (air asia, vietnam airlines, viet jet, malaysian airlines).  i don't think you can do a nonstop SGN to VTE. 

get a visa exempt entry at the land border (unless you've had two of those already this calendar year - sounds like you were using visas so unlikely this is the case).  extend it for 30 days if you need more time in thailand.  i think someone just reported a problem at one of the malaysian crossings so make sure you pick the right one.  i can't remember what their problem was (maybe didn't have the cash 10k or 20k or a hotel booking).

edit:

get a new passport at USA embassy in bangkok.  i got mine in a week but normally it is two weeks.  easy appointment system. 

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

Guys have given you good advice .....But honestly the long stay situation for under 50s is terrible in Thailand....So for your sake I hope you can figure out a better game plan than Hodge podge visas ..... 

Edited by fforest1

46 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:
I don’t like my current picture in my passport . I think that is okay. What do you think?

Haha. This is a good one. Just like my GF, she does not like her pic in Thai ID card so she gets a new one. I seriously need a new passport. My PIC looks like an addict.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by onera1961

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Guys have given you good advice .....But honestly the long stay situation for under 50s is terrible in Thailand....So for your sake I hope you can figure out a better game plan than Hodge podge visas .....

If for you Thailand is the required country due to gf here then marry have a kid or buy elite visa. The cheapest and best option is the elite. Personally I don't think Thai wish or want to provide other options for under 50. 

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

OK, answer is in the title...was skimming through this thread...that is weird that they issued it but then voided it...why not just say 'sorry, no visa for you sunshine.... ! "

They do this to keep the money, and mess up his passport. 

1 hour ago, Fixit89 said:

Maybe I don’t have to get a new passport in Cambodia and just head for the land in Laos and get back to my “home” in Thailand ? Thoughts?

Almost no chance of problems entering at Nong Khai Visa-Exempt, based on reporting to-date - even with your passport-history and voided-stamp.  Since the last visa-exempt rule changes, they are only reported to enforce the "2x Land-Border Visa-Exempt Entries Per Calendar-Year" rule there.

The big difference in being rejected at a land-border, is No Detention - just walk back and cancel your last exit-stamp.  And unless trying at Poipet/Aranya (bad idea), you won't get an official-rejection, either - they just tell you "No," and you walk away w/o passport-damage.

31 minutes ago, buick said:

i'd just keep the passport for now.  fly SGN to KUL and take train to thai border and then fly from hat yai to dmk...

Yes - no problems with domestic-flights.  I like this route also.  The only catch with using that entry-point visa-exempt, is that he would need to have the money (he does), plus a flight-out within 30-days (throw-away ticket), plus a hotel-booking (easy - free online).  They could ask for all of it, as has recently being reported in 2 cases in the last week or so.  Maybe, crossing in the train station they wouldn't ask for all that - but the "new boss" at the office on the road is reported to be a rude thing.

-------------

@Fixit89 Another thing to consider is an ED Visa + extensions, if you want to stay long-term in Thailand.  You can learn the language for a year and a half (or so, depending) while having a way to stay w/o border/visa runs.  Then, if desired, you can stay another chunk of time learning another language.  And you would not need to get a new passport to do this. Just be sure to pick a school that "handles" your extensions for you, so immigration gets their envelope, then don't make problems for you.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If for you Thailand is the required country due to gf here then marry have a kid or buy elite visa.

If married, can get a marriage visa. Why elite? Sorry. Did not notice OR

Edited by onera1961