Just got a VOID stamp on my new tourist visa , help?

Thank you Brit Tim ! I am going to skip getting a new visa , pack my stuff in my apartment and head home . It’s a sad ending . I’ll spend my last songkran here and say my goodbyes. Asta la vista  . With that void in my visa do you think that is in “the system” ? And will be looked upon ? When I enter ?

cheers 

7 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

Thank you Brit Tim ! I am going to skip getting a new visa , pack my stuff in my apartment and head home . It’s a sad ending . I’ll spend my last songkran here and say my goodbyes. Asta la vista  . With that void in my visa do you think that is in “the system” ? And will be looked upon ? When I enter ?

cheers 

Why not head to Cambodia or Vietnam?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fixit89 said:

True . Thank you. And How unfortunate .

Any other land crossings aside from Nong Khai / Laos ? 

Would getting a new passport reset reset everything for me ? I’m willing to get a new one just so I can fly back in . Waiting for some experts to reply back. Thank you all 

No...getting a new passport does not reset your history of entries to Thailand. Thai Immigration has computerized records. Even having a valid Tourist or Ed visa in your passport is no guarantee you will be allowed entry into Thailand. The Thai Immigration Officer sees your past history upon arrival. Its their decision to allow entry or not.

Just now, BritTim said:

I have another idea for you. There is a direct flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Pakse in Laos. You can go from Pakse to the border at Chong Mek, crossing and making your way to Ubon airport. This is going to be a quicker trip than going all the way to Kuala Lumpur.

You do not need a new passport to cross at Chong Mek for a visa exempt entry.

OP.... take one of these suggestions and sort your stuff out when you get here. It is best you know how Thai Imm thinks and then you can proceed.

Good luck. There are plenty of ways for people to stay in Thailand if they so desire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As long as you do not use the wrong entry points, neither the voided visa nor your history of stay in Thailand will prevent getting a visa exempt entry entering by land. The voided visa is not noted in any online system. Once you have a new passport in the future, there will be no residual evidence that it ever happened.

BritTim! Behind your posts there is obviously a background and wealth of information. Thank you very much! In my mind it wouldn’t make any sense that the voided visa would be in any online system. Due to the fact that it was probably voided at last minute. Void means cancelled/not approved , not “your not allowed into Thailand.” If I did go to the airport yes that would be my point where they would say “ hey you got a voided visa we don’t want you!” But I never made it to that point .. thanks to you guys here at TV! I think people are misconstrued in their ideations here. 

Im looking at Cambodia because currently as you noted no direct flights from hchm to Vientiane. So I might as well take a long vacation somewhere first 

I never thought about pakse , I used to go out with a girl from there . Although that time has long passed. Maybe I should make a trip out there!

seeems like a good land border as you noted (thanks again) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fixit89 said:

Im looking at Cambodia because currently as you noted no direct flights from hchm to Vientiane. So I might as well take a long vacation somewhere first

There's a bus ftom HCMC to Phnom Penh, 350bht.

Then a bus to Sieam Reap $7.

Then a bus to Vientienne.

I'm doing it next month with a week in each place, no rush to get back to Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, onera1961 said:

How rude. They take the money and deny visa. If OP does not have any connection with Thailand like GF or child, it is better to forget about Thailand and spend money where there are no issues. I made a mistake 14 years ago and stuck here but I plan to spend only 6-months in Thailand. 

The visa fees are fees for processing the visa regardless whether it is successful or not. However the consulate can do a better job by vetting the passport for obvious visa rejection before processing the visa. Once passport is accepted for processing, most applicants would obviously think that their visas were approved and the passport accepted for visa stickers to be printed and attached. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This is bit off topic, but..

To quote elviajero above "toleration of practice is clearly ending"....

I just returned home tonight from popular night life area Ratchada bkk. Market/bars etc. Few years ago there were very few Chinese and Korean tourists. How times have changed. Also to add I have read (not Thaivisa) that Thai imm expect next BOOM to be be from India and Chinese tourist growth to continue. IMHO Thai do not need/want long term tourists living in los.

They want rich long term tourists who spent loads of money and not those on retirement visas living barely on the fringe of existence. Altruism is not a strong word in their vocabulary.

17 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

They want rich long term tourists who spent loads of money and not those on retirement visas living barely on the fringe of existence. Altruism is not a strong word in their vocabulary.

Personally, I live here on extension based on retirement and spend 60k aud every year. Is that enough?

Oddly enough I spend loads of money in thailand as I have a successful business in the USA . But how could the visa office know that? unless I showed them my business bank account attached to my my name and not personal account and an emloyment letter of our enterprise stating what I do. It’s a darn shame if you ask me

wish I gave them my employment letter I wonder what difference it would have made ! I always keep that with me even when I had my METV for cases like being questioned at the airport.  I always keep 20,000b on me , that’s not much for me to carry around anyways.

have a nice Saturday everyone , thank you again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fixit89 said:

Oddly enough I spend loads of money in thailand as I have a successful business in the USA . But how could the visa office know that? unless I showed them my business bank account attached to my my name and not personal account and an emloyment letter of our enterprise stating what I do. It’s a darn shame if you ask me

wish I gave them my employment letter I wonder what difference it would have made ! I always keep that with me even when I had my METV for cases like being questioned at the airport.  I always keep 20,000b on me , that’s not much for me to carry around anyways.

have a nice Saturday everyone , thank you again

If you are well off then why not get an Elita Visa? Problem solved.  It is designed for well off people under 50 who can afford to spend a lot of time in Thailand.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Thailand doesn't want people 'living' in the country on tourist visas, because they are not tourists and are abusing the system.

If it was "abuse" it would be specified as illegal in the law.  Thailand welcomed people spending lots of money here over and over on tourist-entries for decades.  That's called precedent.  A change to that policy would require an official published change to the law (Immigration Act) which specifies the only reasons a person can be denied-entry.

Recently, some subset-clique of IOs decided to throw their own fellow-citizens under the bus by preventing self-funded foreigners from coming repeatedly and supporting locals with their spending.

Which is exactly what the OP is doing, and precisely why they feel the need to keep tightening the regulations.

They haven't tightened any "regulations" at all.  Some IOs simply began breaking the law - pushing their own completely unregulated (illegal) agenda - and getting away with it.

If you manage to wangle your way back in via a land crossing, consider yourself lucky, but don't bank on it working next time - you definitely need a longer term option, particularly if you have assets/family/girlfriend in Thailand.

For now, all the Land-Crossings but one (Poipet/Aranyaprathet) Follow The Law - which is why we do not have reports of illegal denials of entry at them. 

I do agree it is dangerous to make plans to remain long-term in a country where there is no functional Rule Of Law in effect.  Definitely NOT a place to make any sort of investment, put significant money in the bank, etc. 

Even with a "more accepted for now" visa/extension option, it is still risky.  Immigration is attacking all types of foreigners with "crackdowns" and "unpublished requirements" - Retired, Married to a Thai, etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fixit89 said:

He states that I should get a new passport , and with a new passport I could get a new SETV. Would this be feasible ?

Yes, because the Thai Consulates only use the Visa-History shown in your passport - not immigration records.

Does the IO really have info that will scrutizinize me from further entry from an air border with a new passport ? I find that highly u likely . Even if it was just visa exempts ? 

Yes - they have a full-record of all your entries/exits at their fingertips.  They might be less likely to look into your history with a new passport, but there are also "warnings" that pop up to alert them to a potential easy-victim to throw into their for-profit airport-gulag - such as if you have 6+ Visa Exempts since 2015 (and who knows what others).

In general, entering Visa Exempt by air more dangerous than entering with a Tourist Visa by air - but at this point, I am not sure it matters as much, given they may not even go through a mock "procedure" of pretending to determine if you are within a specified category (as defined in the Immigration Act) for which one could be legally refused-entry.

The unfortunate thing is that I would need to leave around or before songkran time after my 30 days is expired. I went to hcmc to get my visa because I avoid extensions like the plague . Changwattana is dreadful for me especially after this many years. 

Extensions are generally not a problem.  Very few have reported problems getting extensions - and only at a few offices.

16 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

All of the cases I've seen have been in DMK. Do you have any examples from BKK? (I hope not - I'm coming in through there next week!)

There have been many refused entry at BKK, also.  Maybe they do a little procedural shuffle first vs DMK's "straight to the gulag" routine - and maybe you could somehow get through by saying the "right things." 

Who knows?  Bangkok airport-immigration might as well be in Somalia, where they don't bother to pretend to have "laws in effect" governed via legal procedures.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Where wages are many times higher hence need to be protected by limiting immigration by the world's poor

Apparently you missed the fact that Thailand's wages are a draw to Burmese, Cambodians, and Loasians...

The US gladly takes 5000 THB from visa applicants without any intention of granting them to 90%+ of applicants.  Probably how LOS got the idea....also likely how they got the idea to be dicks at immigration and the embassies.  But, yeah, very tough on visa runners nowadays.  I used to live here half the year with hardly any effort at all. A double entry TV, and a few enjoyable trips to Maesai, with very pleasant IOs. Now, at 55 it is pretty easy to live here, but if I was under 50, I would not deal with the current maze..the writing is on the wall.  Seen way too many get caught gaming the system, and screaming bloody murder, when they get caught.  

Edited by moontang

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

caught gaming the system, and screaming bloody murder, when they get caught.  

As far as I have heard, those "gaming the system" - and in huge numbers - are using Immigration's Agent-Partners to get extensions of stay they do not qualify to receive.  They are not having issues other than a fee-increase, incurred under cover of the last so-called "crackdown" (how they always increase their corruption-money loot - same as they did with the so-called "ED Visa" crackdown).  The big agents are still in business, and their IO-Buddies driving even nicer cars - of that we can be sure.

But on this thread, we were not talking about the "gamers" that immigration loves, but rather, people entering the country legally as Tourists, for which immigration does not have a reliable angle to extort corruption-money.  It's easy to see why immigration would hate such people.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

As far as I have heard, those "gaming the system" - and in huge numbers - are using Immigration's Agent-Partners to get extensions of stay they do not qualify to receive.  They are not having issues other than a fee-increase, incurred under cover of the last so-called "crackdown" (how they always increase their corruption-money loot - same as they did with the so-called "ED Visa" crackdown).  The big agents are still in business, and their IO-Buddies driving even nicer cars - of that we can be sure.

But on this thread, we were not talking about the "gamers" that immigration loves, but rather, people entering the country legally as Tourists, for which immigration does not have a reliable angle to extort corruption-money.  It's easy to see why immigration would hate such people.

They can't extort from long term so-called tourists so they deny a few of them entry!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Genius.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Using repeated tourist visas to effectively 'live' in the country is abusing the visa system

If that were true, surely the Immigration Act would spell it out in black and white.  But it doesn't, because Thailand has welcomed (not "tolerated") repeat tourists here for decades - because it was, and is, good for their citizens and economy and does no harm.

It was written 40 years ago when they almost certainly did not consider the possibility of foreigners staying months/years as tourists.

They have always "welcomed" "repeat tourists" but they are not the issue. It is those tourists staying months/years that they have - for at least 13 years - been actively stopping.

Long term tourists were tolerated for years, but as the numbers grew the toleration reduced. Immigration policy is not just about the countries financial gain; numbers and reason for the visit are as important. Thailand, just like many other countries, want tourists to visit for a holiday and go home. They will allow other visitors to stay long term that meet certain criteria. Tourists do not meet that criteria.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:
18 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Thailand doesn't want people 'living' in the country on tourist visas, because they are not tourists and are abusing the system.

If it was "abuse" it would be specified as illegal in the law.  Thailand welcomed people spending lots of money here over and over on tourist-entries for decades.  That's called precedent.  A change to that policy would require an official published change to the law (Immigration Act) which specifies the only reasons a person can be denied-entry.

Recently, some subset-clique of IOs decided to throw their own fellow-citizens under the bus by preventing self-funded foreigners from coming repeatedly and supporting locals with their spending.

Abusing a system doesn't mean you're breaking a law. The TIB's policy is to lawfully give IO's the discretionary power to deny entry to long term tourists.

Even if they formally announced a specific limit the law would not need changing. A simple regulation is all that's needed. However, because all long term tourists almost certainly qualify for denial under 12 (2), or (3), or (9), they don't have to.

"subset-clique of IO's ... ". LMAO

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Abusing a system doesn't mean you're breaking a law. The TIB's policy is to lawfully give IO's the discretionary power to deny entry to long term tourists.

Even if they formally announced a specific limit the law would not need changing. A simple regulation is all that's needed. However, because all long term tourists almost certainly qualify for denial under 12 (2), or (3), or (9), they don't have to.

"subset-clique of IO's ... ". LMAO

This is a good post. Who is or is not abusing the system is left up to Immigration IOs for a reason. There are no concrete ways to measure who is and who is not abusing the system. So it is up to an IO to determine if it is necessary to look deeper or ban outright. This screening is done on the fly. Once when returning to the USA I was asked more than the normal amount of questions at CBP desk. Lastly I was asked if I had lost weight. I had lost 13kg since the picture was taken. He was doing his job.

This is the same as the USA does. USA issues a 10 year tourist visa and the holder can stay up to 6 months at a time. They must exit and come back. However I have read, and a friend of mine was warned by USA CBP, if you exit for a few days and come back too many times they deny you entry. There are no hard and fast rules for this in the USA.... just like Thailand.

I'm pretty sure USA doesn't have a "subset-clique of IO's ... ". But I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

... or money to blow on their "pay us 10x what other nations in the region charge for visas with 5+ years up front," solution

Not likely seeing as the Thai police can cancel it at any time with no effort at due process.

Then add 'overstay' to your list of alleged crimes.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

I would not have a kid so that I could stay here.  That is a horrible idea.

It's also ineffective, as I have a kid here, and am facing increasing problems in staying.

I'm here on back-to-back 90-day non-o VISAs as the extensions are even worse than marriage extensions.

If I'd fathered a Viet, Flip or Khmer kid I would be on VISA easy street.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1