BANGKOK 20 April 2019 18:07
Fixit89

Just got a VOID stamp on my new tourist visa , help?

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Where wages are many times higher hence need to be protected by limiting immigration by the world's poor

Apparently you missed the fact that Thailand's wages are a draw to Burmese, Cambodians, and Loasians...

Posted (edited)

The US gladly takes 5000 THB from visa applicants without any intention of granting them to 90%+ of applicants.  Probably how LOS got the idea....also likely how they got the idea to be dicks at immigration and the embassies.  But, yeah, very tough on visa runners nowadays.  I used to live here half the year with hardly any effort at all. A double entry TV, and a few enjoyable trips to Maesai, with very pleasant IOs. Now, at 55 it is pretty easy to live here, but if I was under 50, I would not deal with the current maze..the writing is on the wall.  Seen way too many get caught gaming the system, and screaming bloody murder, when they get caught.  

Edited by moontang

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

caught gaming the system, and screaming bloody murder, when they get caught.  

As far as I have heard, those "gaming the system" - and in huge numbers - are using Immigration's Agent-Partners to get extensions of stay they do not qualify to receive.  They are not having issues other than a fee-increase, incurred under cover of the last so-called "crackdown" (how they always increase their corruption-money loot - same as they did with the so-called "ED Visa" crackdown).  The big agents are still in business, and their IO-Buddies driving even nicer cars - of that we can be sure.

But on this thread, we were not talking about the "gamers" that immigration loves, but rather, people entering the country legally as Tourists, for which immigration does not have a reliable angle to extort corruption-money.  It's easy to see why immigration would hate such people.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

As far as I have heard, those "gaming the system" - and in huge numbers - are using Immigration's Agent-Partners to get extensions of stay they do not qualify to receive.  They are not having issues other than a fee-increase, incurred under cover of the last so-called "crackdown" (how they always increase their corruption-money loot - same as they did with the so-called "ED Visa" crackdown).  The big agents are still in business, and their IO-Buddies driving even nicer cars - of that we can be sure.

But on this thread, we were not talking about the "gamers" that immigration loves, but rather, people entering the country legally as Tourists, for which immigration does not have a reliable angle to extort corruption-money.  It's easy to see why immigration would hate such people.

They can't extort from long term so-called tourists so they deny a few of them entry!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Genius.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:
15 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Using repeated tourist visas to effectively 'live' in the country is abusing the visa system

If that were true, surely the Immigration Act would spell it out in black and white.  But it doesn't, because Thailand has welcomed (not "tolerated") repeat tourists here for decades - because it was, and is, good for their citizens and economy and does no harm.

It was written 40 years ago when they almost certainly did not consider the possibility of foreigners staying months/years as tourists.

They have always "welcomed" "repeat tourists" but they are not the issue. It is those tourists staying months/years that they have - for at least 13 years - been actively stopping.

Long term tourists were tolerated for years, but as the numbers grew the toleration reduced. Immigration policy is not just about the countries financial gain; numbers and reason for the visit are as important. Thailand, just like many other countries, want tourists to visit for a holiday and go home. They will allow other visitors to stay long term that meet certain criteria. Tourists do not meet that criteria.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JackThompson said:
18 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Thailand doesn't want people 'living' in the country on tourist visas, because they are not tourists and are abusing the system.

If it was "abuse" it would be specified as illegal in the law.  Thailand welcomed people spending lots of money here over and over on tourist-entries for decades.  That's called precedent.  A change to that policy would require an official published change to the law (Immigration Act) which specifies the only reasons a person can be denied-entry.

Recently, some subset-clique of IOs decided to throw their own fellow-citizens under the bus by preventing self-funded foreigners from coming repeatedly and supporting locals with their spending.

Abusing a system doesn't mean you're breaking a law. The TIB's policy is to lawfully give IO's the discretionary power to deny entry to long term tourists.

Even if they formally announced a specific limit the law would not need changing. A simple regulation is all that's needed. However, because all long term tourists almost certainly qualify for denial under 12 (2), or (3), or (9), they don't have to.

"subset-clique of IO's ... ". LMAO

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Abusing a system doesn't mean you're breaking a law. The TIB's policy is to lawfully give IO's the discretionary power to deny entry to long term tourists.

Even if they formally announced a specific limit the law would not need changing. A simple regulation is all that's needed. However, because all long term tourists almost certainly qualify for denial under 12 (2), or (3), or (9), they don't have to.

"subset-clique of IO's ... ". LMAO

This is a good post. Who is or is not abusing the system is left up to Immigration IOs for a reason. There are no concrete ways to measure who is and who is not abusing the system. So it is up to an IO to determine if it is necessary to look deeper or ban outright. This screening is done on the fly. Once when returning to the USA I was asked more than the normal amount of questions at CBP desk. Lastly I was asked if I had lost weight. I had lost 13kg since the picture was taken. He was doing his job.

This is the same as the USA does. USA issues a 10 year tourist visa and the holder can stay up to 6 months at a time. They must exit and come back. However I have read, and a friend of mine was warned by USA CBP, if you exit for a few days and come back too many times they deny you entry. There are no hard and fast rules for this in the USA.... just like Thailand.

I'm pretty sure USA doesn't have a "subset-clique of IO's ... ". But I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Ctkong said:

They want rich long term tourists who spent loads of money and not those on retirement visas living barely on the fringe of existence.

How can they tell which you are at a border checkpoint?

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

... or money to blow on their "pay us 10x what other nations in the region charge for visas with 5+ years up front," solution

Not likely seeing as the Thai police can cancel it at any time with no effort at due process.

Then add 'overstay' to your list of alleged crimes.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

I would not have a kid so that I could stay here.  That is a horrible idea.

It's also ineffective, as I have a kid here, and am facing increasing problems in staying.

I'm here on back-to-back 90-day non-o VISAs as the extensions are even worse than marriage extensions.

If I'd fathered a Viet, Flip or Khmer kid I would be on VISA easy street.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1