Polished concrete floors

banagan

Hi, does anyone know a contractor that does polished concrete floors here? I believe it's not that expensive, anyone know the average cost per sqm?

Also, anyone with them, any drawbacks? I hear cracking can be an issue?

Looking for something like this, 

Andeas_Manolioudakis_house_photo_Pavlos_

Hill-Country-Residence-by-Cornerstone-Ar

The floors you show here have pigments in the concrete, this can up the cost greatly, also if you already have a poured concrete floor the top layer might be too thin to not crack. When I was building, I was surprisingly told that it was more expensive than a quality tile. Any decent contractor can pour concrete and polish it with a polishing machine.

I think Kuhn Top does good work, speaks English, but not sure if he will take on such a small job. I believe I've seen concrete floors on more than one of this projects.

https://top-design-and-build.business.site

It can cost more than hardwood....but it can also be done on the cheap, like the rooms at some of the B2 Hotels....anything more than porch paint will cost more than tile.  I looked into it a few years ago, for my CM condo...surprisingly expensive, and to do it like your photos might approach 3000 THB psm.

You can of course polish up an existing connie floor which will be infinately cheaper because it only involves grinding and polishing.

To do a new pour, please find someone who knows what they are doing and have had experience before.

The key ponts to bear in mind are the concrete needs to arrive and be poured quite dry.....that will eliminate 99%of labourers because its hard work when its not soup.

Ideally you need a fibre reinforced mix to eliminate cracking and if it were me I woukd opt for a smaller 10mm aggregate in the mix.

The rest is completed with a power floater, not Somchai on his knees with a plastic float.

I have visted dozens of building sites here in 8yrs and still i have not comr across anyone using a powerfloater, yet they sell them ay Global.

The colour is a powdered dye which is often just thrown onto the surface when the concrete is green. 

I have also seen a few bags thrown into the mixer when it arrives but that generally gives the concrete an overall colour unlike the blotchy floor

Expect lots of hairline cracks. I had this done in one of our units. It took 2 crews to get it finished to a point that it’s acceptable. But it’s only acceptable by Thai standards and not western. 

They don’t use the proper tools unless they are doing this for a large job (malls, warehouses...), and those workers / companies usually don’t take smaller jobs. That means your left with Somchai and whatever makeshift tools he has.

I don’t recall the final price but it wasn’t that bad. The headache was worse than the price. It’s still holding up years later but there are a lot of small cracks.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, banagan said:

Sounds like I'll just go with ceramic tiles and a couple of rugs ????

Thanks for the feedback

I have also seen tiles that look like the cement floor pix above.

You may want to look around and see if tiles like that suit your needs.

Take a look in Boonthavorn and Home Sukkapan.  The looks (really illusions) that can be created with ceramic tile are amazing.  Plus, it wears well and the contractors are used to working with it.  With our current remodeling project we went with large scale ceramic tiles that look like wooden inlaid parquet.  Even have the texture and feel of wood.  

On 3/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, Phrafarang said:

your first picture is not concrete its an epoxy resin and it way way more expensive than tiles or polished concrete

Yes , but if you really want the Stalag 17 look then money is no object.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Take a look in Boonthavorn and Home Sukkapan.  The looks (really illusions) that can be created with ceramic tile are amazing.  Plus, it wears well and the contractors are used to working with it.  With our current remodeling project we went with large scale ceramic tiles that look like wooden inlaid parquet.  Even have the texture and feel of wood.  

If you really want to have that wood reality I can supply you with some termites and their poo pipes

On 3/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, banagan said:

Sounds like I'll just go with ceramic tiles and a couple of rugs ????

Thanks for the feedback

They don't install tiles properly in Thailand. The subfloor needs to be sealed or separated. What happens is that concrete subfloor gets damp, wet from exterior moisture, then mold forms under the tiles.

You had the right idea of applying a epoxy or finishing concrete slab directly. Of course if you are not bothered/allergic to mold then no worries.

Archived