BANGKOK 23 May 2019 15:41
bowerboy

Should I Be Concerned for My Life

Just now, bowerboy said:

Excellent advice....thank you.

Waal....I would suggest gettin' the hell of ThaiVisa myself.

And sorting this out with HR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bowerboy said:

He is however on a fixed term contract that expires this week

Take a vacation for a couple of weeks and go somewhere. Out of sight out of mind. By the time you're back he'll be gone from the company without seeing you there to remind him, and possibly out of the country depending on his visa situation. I doubt he'd actually do anything to hurt you, but why even take the chance when you can easily avoid it by not being there.

As for the girlfriend... if she's really of the "questionable" sort then she's after money, not love. No reason for her to hurt you after he's already broke and gone.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Thank you for this question and also to everyone for their response.

There are some specific reasons why he does not like me...I am a bit reluctant to go into deep detail lest he read this (also a few people that are close to the situation could read this and figure it out if I give too much info).

Essentially though said person has a proven track record of not working well with others...I have had many people in the company discuss this guy with me and warn me about him. 

I know now there are 2 sides to every story and he has his side but all of it has been completely irrational from the beginning. 

No he he has never made any threats and that is part of the problem...again I don’t want to say too much but essentially he is as nice as pie to your face and then 20 minutes later you have a call from HR about a written complaint just been filed against you with reasons as to why I should be fired and what the succession plan would be in that event....I can’t give too many more details than that.

Yes I have encountered similar characters in the workplace.

Once he has gone he will concentrate on his latest problem (these people always have them) and you will fade into his history. Probably a number of people in his past that he has a simmering resentment for, you're just one of many. Has he had any of them "offed"?

Trust me, the guy is a coward, he'll talk the talk but he won't walk the walk, the worst that you can expect is him sending vitriolic letters to your employer. Probably a good idea to make them aware of the issues.

I can remember, a couple of years ago, in Pattaya, a group of boiler room scammers had a major fall out. They were all high rollers and serious money was involved. Did they hire Thai hitmen? No, they did the job themselves, despite being able to afford no end of "Thai hitmen". It's another urban myth. I've never heard of a farang hiring Thais to hit another farang.

Does he know your home address? If you are really paranoid, you may want to change your address. Me, I'd just forget he ever existed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Foreign embassies have people working for them that have experience in personal security. There are professional companies that provide personal security and your embassy would be aware of them.  Your own employer may be willing to pay for this service until things die down.

Carry pepper spray. Be aware of your surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most people who make threats can be disregarded, it’s the one’s who clearly hate you but don’t that you have to be wary of. Increase your level of vigilance and be cautious. The “hits” I’ve read about in Thailand are undertaken by village idiots who are caught in 24 hours. I doubt you’ve anything to worry about but just to be on the safe side move around with a heightened sense of awareness. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments and it’s all good sense stuff.

Much of it is aligned with what I was thinking and is a great sanity check. 

I must admit that that it would be rare for a Thai style village thug to target a foreigner. 

There will be some steps to try and cool the situation down and I am confident in our HR team to sort this out. I think it can be done without going over the top and causing further stress to all concerned.

Intetesting point above about it’s the ones who are not making direct physical threats that are the ones to worry about....hence why I am worried!

When you do see someone killed in Thailand it is mostly love or relationship related rather than a spat in the office....or bad business deals.

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

ntetesting point above about it’s the ones who are not making direct physical threats that are the ones to worry about....hence why I am worried!

Another urban myth. The ones not making physical threats are the ones incapable of carrying it out as they are inveterate cowards. They just type letters from the safety of their bedrooms. Just like keyboard warriors on TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Although it isnt "cowardice" , people who dont use violence or threaten it .

Having to resort to violence to get your point across,just shows a lack on intelligence and social skills , rather than cowardice

Keyboard getting a bit hot, is it?

Good old Sano, we can always rely on you.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

Correct, what a load of bo$$ox.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't worry Sano's entered the fray. At least it'll be funny bo$$ox now.

• Like 1

I wonder if moving or just getting out of town for a while might do the trick? Does he know where you live? Do you know where he lives?

• Like 1