Should I Be Concerned for My Life

bowerboy

29 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Pretty fully explained in the OP.  The guy does not have a permanent contract. Unless he is highly sought after, which if he were he would have a contract, he is apparently about to lose his employment at that corporation. 
Instead of ensuring continued employment with some other employer and thus maintaining his work permit and immigration status it appears that he is trying to abrogate the OP's status with their company in the expectation that if he can torpedo OP's standing and get him fired, and automatically. (not bloody likely from the sound of things), inherit the permanent contract position. The damned fool also seems to think that his girlfriend is all in favor of the nefarious plot. Maybe so, but if he loses his income and visa it will be "no money, no honey" for sure.
D'ya think I missed any obvious detail, folks? 

OP answered w/o answering back on page 2, but your speculation sounds pretty good to me. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was a Thai guy......may be an issue.

with that age difference, I would bet a paycheck she came out of the bar and she will be back in the bar and back to her life before he is wheels up at Swampy.

He KNEW when he was hired what his end date is.

Give him his Completion of Assignment, he can leave the country and come back as tourist Visa or get a Retirement like the rest of us did.

believe me, I am not discounting your concern, but it is my experience with the same type from same country, all mouth, not a real threat.

I did 47 yrs in Oil n Gas all over the world usually with 800-1200 employees but topped out at a Petro Chemical plant in Kuwait with 14,000 workers.

Some countries, I see you are from there, your CV IMMEDIATELY in the trash without a look.

I would complete him, immediately cancel his work permit, he has options as I stated above

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Wild Bill Hickok died the night he could not sit at the table with his back against the wall, as was his practice

At least sit where you can see people coming and going in and out the front door and as close to the exit as possible, even I still do that, it’s just a basic safety thing.  And I actually do prefer to sit with my back towards the wall whenever possible but I always prefer the seat facing the entrance.  

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

When see him don't walk near him but acknowledge him with a nod if he looks at you. Don't look smug or look like your laughing, just a normal face.

He tried to get you fired so this tells something of his character. If you match that with a stone for stone by telling HR or police or etc, then some more serious trouble will probably come your way as it is looking like an attack on him and he is challenged. Psychically if you are not worried about him then you should be fine. Stay calm and lay a bit quiet low and don't talk around the office or work environment so much as others he will see into their faces and blame you. 

His contract is hopefully almost up and then he is gone. You are not the one firing him. Or are you? Did you act like his boss or senior because you are full time? If so turn that down a bit to bring it to level. 

If he does not get a good recommendation or cannot use the place as a recommendation then he will be P -Off.

England has many areas and each area has a sort of different character. I have know some from areas that will scrap and some from other areas that have a big mouth but no bite.

Just write him off as superficial and let him figure out his life. If he confronts or barks at you with blame, just say back off, I had nothing to do with you or your temporary contract and work related performance of being let go. This is from the superiors. 

When see him don't walk near him but acknowledge him with a nod if he looks at you. Don't look smug or look like your laughing, just a normal face.”  That’s good advice but if he’s in fear for his life he really should at least tell someone such as his HR and the Embassy because we don’t know this person like the OP does.  Sure it’ll probably piss him off even more you’re right about that but at least if the proper officials are aware he is still somewhat protected because the guy would probably be less inclined to try anything stupid if he knows that people are aware that the OP is afraid of him if this guy has any brains at all.  Because obviously if he knows people are aware then he knows that he’d be the number one suspect if he did do anything to the OP, unless he’s totally unhinged and doesn’t care what happens.  He’d have to be suicidal to do anything to the OP in this country knowing that he’d get caught immediately.  

So yeah I think the OP should report it most definitely report it.  TRUST ME IF YOU REALLY DO FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY!  Once his work permit is done theoretically he should have to leave Thailand and then it should be over depending on the situation.  

Try to avoid him and the girl but if you do see them the first paragraph is good advice.  

If you see him in public and if he attacks you try to run and get help.  I don’t really want to give you very much self defense advice unless I met you in person and knew you.  But if he backs you into a corner all I can really say is be prepared to defend yourself EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVELY and I don’t mean punch him in the face I mean punch him in the esophagus or the trachea throat punch him, or pick up something heavy that can be used as a weapon you gotta get very aggressive and violent if you are fighting for your life and don’t give him a single second.  But I don’t know you or your personality or how big you are so it’s very difficult for me to give you self defense advice online.  I’m not really comfortable with giving you self defense advice online because I’ve never seen you before in my life and I don’t know you or your personality type.  If you’re a type A personality you might do okay if it came down to that at least you would be better off anyway.  But hopefully it never comes down to violence I sincerely hope not.  I hope it ends peacefully and civilized.  

If you see him in public try to avoid a fight at all costs only fight if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you have no other option.  Otherwise do what it says in the first paragraph and if he comes at you just run and get help if possible.  But avoid them at all costs.  And avoid any confrontation if at all possible.  

Again until he’s gone avoid hanging out in dark unpopulated areas especially at night which you ought to do anyway just for common basic safety practice.  When out stay in well lit heavily populated areas in the city, and if possible when you’re out try to use the “buddy system” in other words when you’re out if you can try and have a friend hang out with you.  Always stay alert don’t make yourself look like an easy target look like a determined hard target by just simply paying attention and paying attention to your surroundings just basic situational awareness when you are out.  You don’t have to constantly be looking over your shoulder but it couldn’t hurt to have a friend watching your six if possible.  Regardless of if you are walking around alone or with a friend stay alert at all times and pay attention to what is going on around you.  

And DO NOT walk around looking down at the ground like I see so many foreigners doing all the time.  Keep your head up and always maintain situational awareness.  And don’t let anyone scare you to the point where you are afraid to leave the house.  Although when you do leave the house try walking and or driving alternate routes every time and try to be as unpredictable as possible, what I mean by that (unpredictable) is do not set a reoccurring pattern every day.  From day to day change your routine and schedule as much as possible and keep them guessing.  Basically don’t be walking the same route to work every day or go to the same coffee shop every morning just for example.  Try to vary your daily routine every day as much as possible.  Or as much as you can I understand you have a job.  

I don’t know this dude like you do but I think you’ll be okay he probably is just all talk most of them are but every once in a while you might encounter a real dangerous nut case, I’m not saying he is but I don’t know him like you do so just be careful, follow my advice, be sure and REPORT IT, and whenever possible try and travel with a friend if you can.  You’ll be okay don’t stress out about it too much that just makes it worse.  You’ll be fine try not to worry to much but do be careful.  

“Should you be afraid for your life?”  No one here really knows that but trust me follow my advice in my above post (2 posts above this one) and you should be okay.  Definitely report it if you even think for a second that he’s a risk to your well being.  Report it to your company and report it to the Embassy by all means.  Sure it’ll piss him off but it should also deter him from trying anything stupid.  Good luck to you and be safe.  

9 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

When see him don't walk near him but acknowledge him with a nod if he looks at you. Don't look smug or look like your laughing, just a normal face.”  That’s good advice but if he’s in fear for his life he really should at least tell someone such as his HR and the Embassy because we don’t know this person like the OP does.  Sure it’ll probably piss him off even more you’re right about that but at least if the proper officials are aware he is still somewhat protected because the guy would probably be less inclined to try anything stupid if he knows that people are aware that the OP is afraid of him if this guy has any brains at all.  Because obviously if he knows people are aware then he knows that he’d be the number one suspect if he did do anything to the OP, unless he’s totally unhinged and doesn’t care what happens.  He’d have to be suicidal to do anything to the OP in this country knowing that he’d get caught immediately.  

So yeah I think the OP should report it most definitely report it.  TRUST ME IF YOU REALLY DO FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY!  Once his work permit is done theoretically he should have to leave Thailand and then it should be over depending on the situation.  

Try to avoid him and the girl but if you do see them the first paragraph is good advice.  

If you see him in public and if he attacks you try to run and get help.  I don’t really want to give you very much self defense advice unless I met you in person and knew you.  But if he backs you into a corner all I can really say is be prepared to defend yourself EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVELY and I don’t mean punch him in the face I mean punch him in the esophagus or the trachea throat punch him, or pick up something heavy that can be used as a weapon you gotta get very aggressive and violent if you are fighting for your life and don’t give him a single second.  But I don’t know you or your personality or how big you are so it’s very difficult for me to give you self defense advice online.  I’m not really comfortable with giving you self defense advice online because I’ve never seen you before in my life and I don’t know you or your personality type.  If you’re a type A personality you might do okay if it came down to that at least you would be better off anyway.  But hopefully it never comes down to violence I sincerely hope not.  I hope it ends peacefully and civilized.  

If you see him in public try to avoid a fight at all costs only fight if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you have no other option.  Otherwise do what it says in the first paragraph and if he comes at you just run and get help if possible.  But avoid them at all costs.  And avoid any confrontation if at all possible.  

Again until he’s gone avoid hanging out in dark unpopulated areas especially at night which you ought to do anyway just for common basic safety practice.  When out stay in well lit heavily populated areas in the city, and if possible when you’re out try to use the “buddy system” in other words when you’re out if you can try and have a friend hang out with you.  Always stay alert don’t make yourself look like an easy target look like a determined hard target by just simply paying attention and paying attention to your surroundings just basic situational awareness when you are out.  You don’t have to constantly be looking over your shoulder but it couldn’t hurt to have a friend watching your six if possible.  Regardless of if you are walking around alone or with a friend stay alert at all times and pay attention to what is going on around you.  

And DO NOT walk around looking down at the ground like I see so many foreigners doing all the time.  Keep your head up and always maintain situational awareness.  And don’t let anyone scare you to the point where you are afraid to leave the house.  Although when you do leave the house try walking and or driving alternate routes every time and try to be as unpredictable as possible, what I mean by that (unpredictable) is do not set a reoccurring pattern every day.  From day to day change your routine and schedule as much as possible and keep them guessing.  Basically don’t be walking the same route to work every day or go to the same coffee shop every morning just for example.  Try to vary your daily routine every day as much as possible.  Or as much as you can I understand you have a job.  

I don’t know this dude like you do but I think you’ll be okay he probably is just all talk most of them are but every once in a while you might encounter a real dangerous nut case, I’m not saying he is but I don’t know him like you do so just be careful, follow my advice, be sure and REPORT IT, and whenever possible try and travel with a friend if you can.  You’ll be okay don’t stress out about it too much that just makes it worse.  You’ll be fine try not to worry to much but do be careful.  

Thank you for this. Thanks for taking the time. Fortunately one thing I am not worried about is physical attack from the guy himself (apart from the fact that he could use that to set me up and prosecute for assault or whatever). Also I could very well imagine him going down hard from a shot and hitting his head on concrete and then this situation would of well and truly gone pear shaped.

12 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Thank you for this. Thanks for taking the time. Fortunately one thing I am not worried about is physical attack from the guy himself (apart from the fact that he could use that to set me up and prosecute for assault or whatever). Also I could very well imagine him going down hard from a shot and hitting his head on concrete and then this situation would of well and truly gone pear shaped.

Well like I said avoid a confrontation at all costs and don’t fight unless you’re backed into a corner.  I don’t even like giving self defense advice online because I don’t know anything about you.  But if you are forced to defend yourself as in backed into a corner by all means fight back if absolutely necessary but if you do be extremely aggressive, you have to get violent when fighting for your life.  

If he attacks you first it’s self defense if you have no other options.  But if he comes after you if you can just run and get help and hang out in well lit public places for a while.  Of course try to avoid a fight by any means possible but if you’re stuck in a corner don’t just take a beating or worse you do have the right to defend yourself if absolutely necessary but try to avoid a fight anyway you can I don’t know anything about you so I’m not gonna try and write any self defense advice online or any mixed martial arts techniques online because that would just be stupid I know nothing about you.  I can’t teach self defense techniques online obviously.  

And don’t stand on any balconies for a while foreigners in Thailand for some reason have a bad reputation when it comes to balconies.  Just try to avoid the guy till he’s gone and the girl friend.  

Oh and don’t meet with him alone in your office ever in case he “Fight Clubs” himself lol.  Actually seriously don’t be alone with him at work for real while he’s still there always have a witness when he’s around you at work.  Try to hang out with friends as much as possible until he’s gone and MOST DEFINITELY REPORT IT to your company and the Embassy.  Just cover your ass and have a long paper trail and make sure the right people are aware of it and informed.  If he went to your bosses first I doubt he would do anything but you should still be careful because you seem genuinely concerned for your safety.  If you don’t report it how’s anyone going to help you?  Think about it that way.  Sometimes disgruntled employees do go crazy so just follow my above advice and be careful.  

Just try to avoid him until he’s gone and for God’s sake report it.  If he knows other people are aware that might piss him off more but it also serves as a deterrent because he knows if he tries or does anything he’ll be caught immediately because people would be aware of your situation and him.  So report it talk to your company and the Embassy and make sure it’s also in writing.  Stay safe and good luck.  

11 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

If he tells someone like HR or the police and word gets out back to him, it is not good and escalates the hatred. It will not do any good and will not protect him one iota little bit if hatred is there and then to spark it at what he will see as a personal attack. If the guy was smart he would go file a report for defamation and make some money on the OP or put him in jail. If unstable, no stopping him from attack no matter how he protects and watches his back. If hires some thugs, motorcycle pillion riders are usually pretty darn successful, but stupid as they will be caught.

Wants protection, hire security.

-If he gets beat up he can tell the story of who then.

-If he gets whacked or killed then the police will be going to his place of employment already and the word will get out. All his associates know the story already. Nothing new here.

I gather on speculation that the OP has been out in a work group or solo with him and his new squeeze and wife he left before, so there is probably more history than we are all led to believe. 

I would bet there have probably been verbal threats or un friendly exchanges of obscenities of I will kick ur butt or somethings like that.

Daily routine is, I will eventually leave my home, and will eventually leave work to go home. Can't change that and all that is just a wait and get if in truly the guy is that unstable and lacking the brains to get on with his life. To be a real criminal to get away with things takes a very very smart almost brilliant person now (here), and his nemesis should know that being in Thailand seeing how the police operate always now catching their guy. CC tv everywhere.

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If he tells someone like HR or the police and word gets out back to him, it is not good and escalates the hatred. It will not do any good and will not protect him one iota little bit if hatred is there and then to spark it at what he will see as a personal attack. If the guy was smart he would go file a report for defamation and make some money on the OP or put him in jail. If unstable, no stopping him from attack no matter how he protects and watches his back. If hires some thugs, motorcycle pillion riders are usually pretty darn successful, but stupid as they will be caught.

-If he gets whacked or killed then the police will be going to his place of employment already and the word will get out. All his associates know the story already. Nothing new here.

I gather on speculation that the OP has been out in a work group or solo with him and his new squeeze and wife he left before, so there is probably more history than we are all led to believe. 

I would bet there have probably been verbal threats or un friendly exchanges of obscenities of I will kick ur butt or somethings like that.

Daily routine is, I will eventually leave my home, and will eventually leave work to go home. Can't change that and all that is just a wait and get if in truly the guy is that unstable and lacking the brains to get on with his life. To be a real criminal to get away with things takes a very very smart almost brilliant person now (here), and his nemesis should know that being in Thailand seeing how the police operate always now catching their guy. CC tv everywhere.

Okay thanks for your expert advice man.  LMAO ????.  I do agree that this is a kinder and gentler version of Thailand than it used to be.  The advice I gave him was based on a career of expertise in security and staying alive in the most dangerous places on earth, but I just told him the very basics in safety and security because I don’t know him and we’re talking online.  If I knew him in person I could really help him.  

There are many ways to vary your daily routine starting with WHEN you actually leave the house and ending with WHEN you actually leave work to come home as well as several other variables such as routes etc.  This is something that I actually do have vast experience with.  

I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to read your whole post because I’m out right now but I did briefly skim through it so hopefully my reply is at least somewhat close to what it should be.    

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Okay thanks for your expert advice man.  LMAO ????.  I do agree that this is a kinder and gentler version of Thailand than it used to be.  The advice I gave him was based on a career of expertise in security and staying alive in the most dangerous places on earth, but I just told him the very basics in safety and security because I don’t know him and we’re talking online.  If I knew him in person I could really help him.  

There are many ways to vary your daily routine starting with WHEN you actually leave the house and ending with WHEN you actually leave work to come home as well as several other variables such as routes etc.  This is something that I actually do have vast experience with.  

I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to read your whole post because I’m out right now but I did briefly skim through it so hopefully my reply is at least somewhat close to what it should be.    

Trust me REPORT IT!  The Embassy and HR don’t necessarily have to inform him that you reported him.  They can keep it to themselves at your request to prevent aggravating the situation.  If you don’t tell anyone than you are vulnerable no one can help you if you don’t tell anyone.  So ignore all the people who are telling you not to report it.  Of course you should report it so there’s at least a record of it.  

If you don’t want him to know that you reported him just make that clear to the Embassy and your HR, but personally I think he should know that he’s been reported as a deterrent from trying anything stupid unless he’s a total nut case.  But you know this guy I don’t so do what you think is best but I highly recommend at least reporting him and making it known.  It’s your call I’m just giving you friendly advice.  

2 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

I respect the directional advice giving him. (NO LMAO). Yes this is a tapered down Thailand now definitely, definitely not like the old days before. Quite scary actually at times, and I will leave it at that. So perhaps telling the US Embassy might help, but normally will just fall on deaf ears and recorded. How could that possibly help him, if the guy is deranged, it won’t. But, Perhsos under special situations a send out of (lets’s say) some Gov stationed specialty people to look at the situation if warranted enough. But you would never know they are there or lurking about for the most of all part unless you are really good. There to observe and if warranted maybe send a helpful hint of advice or warning in some odd method. You being professional as stated would have no problem distinguishing them. No this is not fictional Jason Bourne.

Let’s just hope this OP does the right moves if it is real, but let’s really hope it is only him inflating his anxiety where there is no real cause or worry to. We will never know the whole story so leave it at the advice you have given him (which is good advice for watching his back), as now up to him. 

I have a different thought about HR. They exist to protect the company and hire and fire personnel. If you tell them you are afraind because of a temporary employee and his girlfriend just think out loud how that sounds. If I was your boss I would not think you are capable of being promoted. It sounds weird. Not meaning to insult you just trying to respond to your post. Do nothing. You are putting yourself in the center of the world and you are not that important that a Thai girlfriend would have you killed. If her boyfriend leaves she will survive and get another one. Relax 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, petermik said:

Two sides to every story....I wonder what the other guy would say......????

Maybe he would say the OP is jealous 'cos I stole his gik and now he's blocked my contract renewal. ???? ???? I'm sure I could get a job writing Thai soaps ???? 

Couples of times I read something like that not exactly the same but being threatened or being told something unpleasant might happened to him. However if you need some advice you must state clearly what actually happened otherwise you leave people who wish to help you in a puzzle.

There are some questions on my mind so I cannot answer your post until I get these answers from you. Giving you suggestions and not knowing the real situation may cause harm to you.

Anyway good luck and take care.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:26 PM, bowerboy said:

Am I being overly paranoid. Should I report this feeling to my company or will that make me look stupid/insane?

@bowerboy - I think this is one of very few areas where Thais are more pragmatic than us Farang because they understand how rotten human nature can be.

I make no judgement about you, but, let's be honest here for a moment. Many employers/bosses are jerks who do not hesitate to destroy an employee's life and future. So, employer/employee disputes are difficult to judge from the outside. We have all worked for jerks, and I think most of us can say we have at one time or another been jerks to those we manage/employ. Complex issue.

Thais in these situations often take a pragmatic approach rather than a ethical stance. Rather than not helping the employee (or worse trying to help them out of the company), they will at least give the appearance of trying to help or may even help to keep the employee on if the damage to the company is not too great. Perhaps asking the employee to be shifted under someone else's management to avoid direct conflict.

Life is cheap in Thailand, and you will never be able to prevent something horrible from happening to you once someone has decided to make it happen here. I think you know that which is why you are asking here. Reporting the person to HR or to the police is a losing battle, especially if the person finds out you have done so.

Archived