Why do Thai drivers who cause accidents always seem to drive away as if nothing has happened?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, baansgr said:

Drunk, yaba, no licence, no tax, no insurance, stolen vehicle...that about covers 90% of drivers 

And very little accountability, honor or sense of right or wrong.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, KhunBENQ said:

And so not all drivers flee the scene.

But indeed the punishment for hit and run is laughable.

In other countries you might go to prison for such.

Prison sentences here also, eg, the female hit-and-run school teacher.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, Rod the Sod said:

In most of the videos of the most pathetic driving to be seen anywhere in the world, I find it alarming and distressing that in most cases the person who causes a sometimes fatal accident, just stares, reboots and off they go as if nothing has happened. Sometimes people have bits hanging off them, screaming for help, and off they drive. Is this a flaw in the Thai DNA, or just part of what people are taught at school when they learn Thainess?

Thankfully, that is not true.  "Most", as you put it, do not and Thai drivers do not "always seem to drive away".  That is just what Thaivisa posters like to claim.

Perhaps it's just that on the occasions that does happen videos are posted?

On 3/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, Just Weird said:

Thankfully, that is not true.  "Most", as you put it, do not and Thai drivers do not "always seem to drive away".  That is just what Thaivisa posters like to claim.

Perhaps it's just that on the occasions that does happen videos are posted?

"Most" refers to most videos if you read my post, not most Thais. Too many people reply without even reading what is said carefully 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, Bob12345 said:

As someone already pointed out the r does not stand for respiratory.

And with "doing it wrongly" you probably mean that they give mouth to mouth which is "wrong" (that was part of old recommendations, nowadays you should not use it anymore).

"Cardiopulmonary resuscitation is an emergency procedure that combines chest compressions often with artificial ventilation in an effort to manually preserve intact brain function until further measures are taken to restore spontaneous blood circulation and breathing in a person who is in cardiac arrest. Wikipedia"

Doing a cardiac massage while the guy has ceased breathing mat strike you as pointless.

Why do people drive away after being involved in an accident.

My own experience is.

A European   motor cyclist ran into my Jeep Wrangler at speed, causing damage, on a bike which did not belong to him and not having any insurance. Although I had full insurance, my Jeep was driven away to a car compound by Police, where many other vehicles were impounded, many having parts stripped off of them. It took The Police weeks to finally determine the fault lay with the biker. I then had to pay to recover my Jeep Wrangler worth 1.5 million Baht from the compound, luckily nothing had been stripped off my vehicle. 

Had the biker been Thai, am sure the outcome would have been different.

So there lay your answer.

Tom

Archived