Alcohol banned ahead of advance voting

snoop1130

13 hours ago, SABloke said:

If that is the case, why not ban the consumption of alcohol?? There is nothing stopping me (or a canvasser, for example) form buying alcohol any time before 6pm tomorrow, and then throwing a huge party...????

But forieners cant vote so why must they note be allowed a drink

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

The vote buying and bribery has already been completed with money from the Thai Niyom slush fund. There was no alcohol ban when that was being done at the time of the mobile cabinet meetings.

They had a good drink wasting tax payer money without a mandate. 

And... it won't work, unless of course they cheat counting votes..

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I bet my house that I can wander up to my local 'Mom and Pop' shop and buy unlimited booze to my heart's desire.

Any takers?

May be a police constable my take you on.

13 hours ago, SABloke said:

If that is the case, why not ban the consumption of alcohol?? There is nothing stopping me (or a canvasser, for example) form buying alcohol any time before 6pm tomorrow, and then throwing a huge party...????

Ah.... but that would take some forward planning !

It's not so much the ban on the sale of alcohol, I can live with that, but I have a number of people who want to come to my bar to watch the finale of the 6 Nations and although that shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't serve alcohol, the BiB will still shaft me if I open, because they'll accuse me of serving alcohol, even if I don't and their word will count for a great deal more than mine.  Corruption at its best  The funniest thing is that none of us have a vote anyway.  TiT.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This really does show how brainless these people running things really are. Preventing an entire country from buying alcohol whilst the entire country is drinking (pre-bought) alcohol is just a complete nonsense from power hungry idiots who couldn't rub two brain cells together.:burp:

I was thinking that this can’t possibly make most of the voters happy unless it’s a rigged election which is unfortunately quite possible it’s as if he’s trying everything he can to not get elected.  

Although I don’t know this election at least appears to be the real deal because there are several candidates spending a lot of money on campaigning.  If it’s a fake election there would have to be way too many people involved to keep it a secret permanently.  I used to deal with Classified Special Access Programs in my old job and when dealing with Special Access Programs the fewer people that know about it and are involved in it the less of a chance we had of having leaks.  But I don’t know everything about their election system here so I don’t know.  I just hope it’s the real deal.  

It's not so much the ban on the sale of alcohol, I can live with that, but I have a number of people who want to come to my bar to watch the finale of the 6 Nations and although that shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't serve alcohol, the BiB will still shaft me if I open, because they'll accuse me of serving alcohol, even if I don't and their word will count for a great deal more than mine.  Corruption at its best  The funniest thing is that none of us have a vote anyway.  TiT.

Many venues remain open even though they do not sell alcohol. Your fear of the authorities does not appear well founded

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

Geez, even north korea celebrate election time.

There is an Asian country where any criticism of the government can lead to arrest and detention, where its citizens are brainwashed from birth to worship the leader and any negative comments can be reported by any citizen against another and be punished with a long period in prison, where tv every night shows the good leader helping his citizens enjoy a better life, a country where his picture adorns every public building and is in every home, and defacing any such pictures can lead to a lengthy jail sentence, a country where news is censored and internet sites blocked, and people can be sentenced to prison for speaking the truth. North Korea. Its resemblance to any other Asian nation is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The sale and distribution of drinks containing alcohol will be banned from 6pm on Friday for the next 24 hours and during advance voting tomorrow, according to the Royal Thai Police.

Well something went wrong, just bought 2 cases of Chang from Tesco ????

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Well something went wrong, just bought 2 cases of Chang from Tesco ????

Now I am disappointed (Chang)! I just figured all the Global Moderators sipped the Hi So beverages. They must not be taking care of you Moderators.

Sometimes I am wondering are we human must live with these nonsense rules and regulations who created for their own good but they themselves never follow. Without looking at others feel how do they feel. This whole planet is belongs to everyone and every a a creature that breathing. So far I never see this planet getting any better. Election, voting, campaign and leaders are absolutely waste of time.Here in Thailand, they should ban all the bars, bar girls and alcohol. So there will fewer jobs for ministers, immigration and police. Also, the traveler can decide whether they want to be or not.

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Was this in the news? Who got busted for bribery? Or is it just an investigation? So which industrialist is paying off the candidates. Bribery is an important thing! Names, dates, details, please! This is big! Since you seem to know all about it, what are you going to do if they want you to be a witness? Fascinating! Tell us more!

If I would tell, what I know about the vote buying before this election, I probably would be charged with defamation and/or kicked out of the country. We leave the talking to Thais.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The restriction is imposed to prevent electoral fraud such as vote buying or bribery. It is believed that canvassers usually try to bribe voters in different ways, including throwing parties the night before the poll, to attract votes.

Thanks, with that information the alcohol ban makes sense and is more understandable for us foreigners...:whistling:

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

The way I read and understand the statement is that you'd have no problem "consuming" your own alcohol in a restaurant, provided you didn't "distribute" it to others, and assuming the restaurant didn't object.

The OP statement is clear that it can't be sold or distributed, to prevent using pre-bought booze being used to throw parties.

Here's the response I got from a restaurant in Bangkok where I have reservations for tonight Saturday, and planned to bring my own wine (which they allow normally) "Dear ..., we are sorry to inform you that not only we can not sell but we can not serve at all ???? So the BYO will be subjected to this rule also. We thank you very much for your kind understanding and looking forward to do our best to make a good dining experience for you this evening. Thank you again and see you soon

Archived