Alcohol banned ahead of advance voting

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Well something went wrong, just bought 2 cases of Chang from Tesco ????

That is because the information in the article is wrong. Its from 6pm tonight Saturday not Friday.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It is believed that canvassers usually try to bribe voters in different ways, including throwing parties the night before the poll, to attract votes."

Sounds like a good idea to me - one the UK could adopt, and we might end up with a better Government than the circus entertainers we have at the moment!

3 hours ago, mikosan said:

It's not so much the ban on the sale of alcohol, I can live with that, but I have a number of people who want to come to my bar to watch the finale of the 6 Nations and although that shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't serve alcohol, the BiB will still shaft me if I open, because they'll accuse me of serving alcohol, even if I don't and their word will count for a great deal more than mine.  Corruption at its best  The funniest thing is that none of us have a vote anyway.  TiT.

There usually many places open in Phuket that dont serve drinks just put some signs up "No Alcohol" put some snack on the bar 

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It’s one day at a time get a grip !! 

I’m beginning to see why Thailand wants to weed out a few expats 

You could try a course in comprehension. I made the point that I was writing about people on extended visits who may not have a fridge or things of that nature. Not much fun buying at a 7 11 and then drinking warm pi*s. One day is neither here nor there.

5 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

I realise that residents of Thai can manage these things, but for frequent long term visitors, these bans are becoming a pain. The wowsers are taking over.

If you think they have wowsers here try visiting Sydney or anywhere in NSW

Under Responsible Service of Alcohol Legislation ( RSA) before you can be employed to serve alcohol you have to obtain an RSA certificate which requires taking a course.

Police walk through Pubs., Clubs, Bars, etc checking to see no one is “ over the limit” If a person is found the employee who served the drink and the licensee can be fined and in repeat cases the license revoked.

There have even been cases where someone has been found intoxicated on the street and the last establishment that served them fined.

Yes plenty of Wowsers in this world.

7 hours ago, longtom said:

The sale and distribution of drinks containing alcohol will be banned from 6pm on Friday for the next 24 hours and during advance voting tomorrow,

Saturday I dare say.

No proof readers?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, today, SATURDAY. Earlier I passed two local bars and they were open selling alcohol at 4pm.

2 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

If I would tell, what I know about the vote buying before this election, I probably would be charged with defamation and/or kicked out of the country. We leave the talking to Thais.

I dare ya. Double dare ya. 

19 hours ago, SABloke said:

If that is the case, why not ban the consumption of alcohol?? There is nothing stopping me (or a canvasser, for example) form buying alcohol any time before 6pm tomorrow, and then throwing a huge party...????

It actually says consumption and distribution if you took time to read!!!????

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I bet my house that I can wander up to my local 'Mom and Pop' shop and buy unlimited booze to my heart's desire.

Any takers?

Their stock is probably very limited (unless they own Tesco) so an easy bet to win.

But if your house was on the line I suspect your hearts desire would be rather limited. 

Always look at the details before taking on any wager.

Well, TIT.  I'm sitting at a table at an outdoors Isan restaurant in Bangkok with an ice cold Leo in front of me.  When I mentioned all of the anguish and tooth gnashing in this thread to my wife she said "Don't be silly, the election is next weekend".

????

41 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Well, TIT.  I'm sitting at a table at an outdoors Isan restaurant in Bangkok with an ice cold Leo in front of me.  When I mentioned all of the anguish and tooth gnashing in this thread to my wife she said "Don't be silly, the election is next weekend".

????

Exactly, TiT! when the last king passed, there were certain bars open and serving, and the mom & pop side soi liquor stores were in full swing. Why would some silly election change that?

Funny to read a number of posts worried about not getting their Archa at the local 7-11. 5555+

4 hours ago, dave moir said:

It actually says consumption and distribution if you took time to read!!!????

Did you take the time to read? Nowhere does it mention consumption. No alcohol ban that I've seen over the past 10 years, even on religious holidays, has included a ban on consumption. The reason is that since consuming alcohol isn't illegal, they would have change the law every time they wanted an alcohol ban. The authorities can, however, place restrictions on the sale and/or purchase of alcohol.

Archived