Driving from Pattaya to Phuket with halfway point stay

Hi all,

We're thinking of making the  driving trip from Patters to Phuket but not in a one day journey.    We'd like to stay in a decent hotel at the mid way point  if possible.    Looking at  Google Maps, I didn't find many hotels on the menu.     Anyone who has made the journey have any comments about the drive in general?    Neither of us have seen that area of Thailand south of Hua Hin.

Any suggestions?

Look on a hotel booking website like for example agoda.com and you will find many hotels.

The way down there is quite boring, not much to see.

If you want to do it in two days i would make an overnight stay in Chumphon, not much to do there, but at least it's a city.

But if i were to do it i would make it a three day trip, first night in Hua Hin, second in Ranong, that's not so tiring and more to see.

If one driver I would make 2  stops. Highway 9 is like a car park. I suggest Hua Hin stop1. City Beach Hotel.  Car park and walk to many restaurants.

Surat Thani stop 2. Keep to the speed limits on 4 and 41. Boring as 90 kms per hour is I guarantee you will get the new electronic speeding ticket in the post. I got 4. Don't pay and you will not be able to get car tax renewed next time.

9 minutes ago, pontious said:

If one driver I would make 2  stops. Highway 9 is like a car park. I suggest Hua Hin stop1. City Beach Hotel.  Car park and walk to many restaurants.

Surat Thani stop 2. Keep to the speed limits on 4 and 41. Boring as 90 kms per hour is I guarantee you will get the new electronic speeding ticket in the post. I got 4. Don't pay and you will not be able to get car tax renewed next time.

Can you indicate what month (2019?)  you was refused the road tax renewal and the date on the speeding tickets

2 hours ago, pontious said:

Never paid one speeding ticket here, when did this happen?

As far as i know the highway dept and the land and transport dept are not linked?

9 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Never paid one speeding ticket here, when did this happen?

As far as i know the highway dept and the land and transport dept are not linked?

But things are changing - many reports of tickets in the mail last month or so - after using for traffic violations in cities it is now on many highways it seems.  Even cars on top of trucks have received such tickets so it is making the news.

Many thanks  to all for the replies and suggestions.

I have some researching to do now to check  the suggestions given.

The Mrs. likes to drive so the boring aspect can be dealt with by my riding shotgun and reading on the Kindle app.

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Ocean front in the town of Prachuap Khiri Khan

or on the beach in Bann Krut

from Pattaya stop in PKK, apx 6-7 hours... there are a few sea view hotel's 700-1,000 baht, walk in rate

avoid weekends if possible.
inexpensive seafood restaurants right on the beach road. ONLY 5 minutes off of the main hwy

I travel down to Trang each month from Patts (takes me 12 hours 946kms) and I suggest leaving around 4am so as to avoid any hold ups on the southern ring road round Bangkok...sunday obviously has much lighter traffic,plenty of roadside overnight stays from Chumphon to Surat Thani 400/500 baht....:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But things are changing - many reports of tickets in the mail last month or so - after using for traffic violations in cities it is now on many highways it seems.  Even cars on top of trucks have received such tickets so it is making the news.

So, it's confirmed that all speeding tickets that are not paid accumulate and you pay when trying to renew vehichle tax?

I renewed tax on one of my vehicles December, no fines to pay and i know for a fact there is outstanding tickets.

Sorry for straying off topic!

I used to drive from Phichit to Phuket many many years ago, always stopped at Chumphon for a night, little out of the city on a clean beach, forget the name.

Hi, I made this journey a few months ago and asked the same. I was advised that Chumpon is the best bet for a halfway lay over. This is what we chose to do. Found a couple of clean inexpensive hotels for an overnight each way. Had a look around but didn't seem to be much to stay for other than the rest and drive break. Good luck, check out Booking.com or some other accommodation search.

Prachuap Khiri Khan province is the obvious choice.

In Pranburi I suggest Baan Pran Boutique Resort ( 12.374197, 99.927572 )

Perfect place to relax during long trips between south/north and vice versa. Property features at agoda.com, pool, wi-fi, parking, breakfast, cable TV, hot water, beautiful rooms and nicely landscaped gardens. All for THB 1,000.

DSC_9582ps.jpg

IMG_20180119_1221230ps.jpg

IMG_20180119_1308296ps.jpg

IMG_20180119_1308478PS.jpg

In Prachuap, Sun Beach Guesthouse ( 11.79745, 99.8018 )

From THB 700 - 900. I think I visited the place at least 20 times since 2012 ????

http://www.sunbeachguesthouse.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Sunbeachguesthouse/

Telephone : +66 (0) 3260 4770, +66 (0) 8 9260 3378 , +66 (0) 8 9255 2440
E-mail: [email protected]

DSC_1170ps.jpg

DSC_9288ps.jpg

DSC_9289ps.jpg

P1150006ps.jpg

PA220096ps.jpg

1966151_773062659420246_2762234415544882534_ps.jpg

DSC_1169ps.jpg

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Many thanks  to all for the replies and suggestions.

I have some researching to do now to check  the suggestions given.

The Mrs. likes to drive so the boring aspect can be dealt with by my riding shotgun and reading on the Kindle app.

I used to have a gf who liked to drive. She took a girlfriend along for one trip and I joined her in the back seat. Who knew that would be out of the question. 

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Ocean front in the town of Prachuap Khiri Khan

or on the beach in Bann Krut

Second Ban Krut- a quaint little quiet beachside resort but decent restaurants and a picturesque temple on the hill for a quick diversion. Ban Krut resort about 1000 baht 

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

It's a miserable drive - found it far easier to fly from Pattaya to Phuket and hire a car there

Thanks for the info  and suggestion.     I realize it may not be a thrilling trip but since I have the time and means to see a part of Thailand I've not yet seen I figure "Why Not"?

On 3/16/2019 at 6:47 AM, jinners said:

Hi, I made this journey a few months ago and asked the same. I was advised that Chumpon is the best bet for a halfway lay over. This is what we chose to do. Found a couple of clean inexpensive hotels for an overnight each way. Had a look around but didn't seem to be much to stay for other than the rest and drive break. Good luck, check out Booking.com or some other accommodation search.

We stayed in Chumphon before getting the ferry to death island and I agree not much to see but the pies are really good in the Farang Bar.

Archived