BANGKOK 25 March 2019 14:54
watcharacters

Driving from Pattaya to Phuket with halfway point stay

It's a miserable drive - found it far easier to fly from Pattaya to Phuket and hire a car there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Many thanks  to all for the replies and suggestions.

I have some researching to do now to check  the suggestions given.

The Mrs. likes to drive so the boring aspect can be dealt with by my riding shotgun and reading on the Kindle app.

I used to have a gf who liked to drive. She took a girlfriend along for one trip and I joined her in the back seat. Who knew that would be out of the question. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Ocean front in the town of Prachuap Khiri Khan

or on the beach in Bann Krut

Second Ban Krut- a quaint little quiet beachside resort but decent restaurants and a picturesque temple on the hill for a quick diversion. Ban Krut resort about 1000 baht 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

It's a miserable drive - found it far easier to fly from Pattaya to Phuket and hire a car there

Not really if you take route 4 from Chumphon via Ranong. Very scenic route with lots of interesting POI's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Thanks for the info  and suggestion.     I realize it may not be a thrilling trip but since I have the time and means to see a part of Thailand I've not yet seen I figure "Why Not"?

• Like 2

As others have said, Prachuab Khiri Khan is a nice little town that has a number of hotels and guesthouses to fit everyone's budget.  There is a lively night market on the weekends.  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 6:47 AM, jinners said:

Hi, I made this journey a few months ago and asked the same. I was advised that Chumpon is the best bet for a halfway lay over. This is what we chose to do. Found a couple of clean inexpensive hotels for an overnight each way. Had a look around but didn't seem to be much to stay for other than the rest and drive break. Good luck, check out Booking.com or some other accommodation search.

We stayed in Chumphon before getting the ferry to death island and I agree not much to see but the pies are really good in the Farang Bar.