F1 2019

Mosha

It's sad that so many of us have lost interest.

I'd been watching since '97/'98, but am only marginally interested nowadays ☹️.  i.e. I don't care enough to pay to watch races, but every now and again will read the comments about races to see what is happening.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Kubica in the wars again !!

Now Leclerc !!

A reply showing Vettel nearly coming a cropper at the same corner that took the other 2 out .

Should be interesting tomorrow !!

Kubica shouldn't be in an F1 car. He's a liability and a danger to himself and others.

Leclerc has massively impressed me this season. I was one of his doubters pre season but he's exceeded all expectations and regularly bested his team mate this season. He would have done so again had he not made a rookie mistake on a corner that has no place on an F1 track. Car was a write off with the mechanics possibly needing to do a chassis change overnight.

Doubt that it will be interesting tomorrow with Mercedes locking out the front row but expect safety cars and several accidents on the worst track in F1. Leclerc coming up through the field and Vettel and Verstappen dicing for 3rd place are the ones to watch.

Remind me what is the time limit for a Race ?  I mean with red flags etc, used to be I think 4 hours... with the amount of Red flags this weekend so far in F1 and F2 

The full 90 mins of P1 testing in F1 was 10 mins !!

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Remind me what is the time limit for a Race ?  I mean with red flags etc, used to be I think 4 hours... with the amount of Red flags this weekend so far in F1 and F2 

The full 90 mins of P1 testing in F1 was 10 mins !!

Used to be 2 hours or 200 miles. In the past, Monaco was shortened a number of times due to the 2 hour limitation. Not sure that includes time spent under a red flag. The likely limitation at Baku would probably be failing light, which deteriorated badly at the end of qualifying yesterday.

35 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm gonna pick a wildcard... Lando Norris for a podium finish ????

Hamilton, Bottas, Norris 

Lando was out of his skin yesterday. 7th in a McLaren? 19 years old. Amazing. Bit optimistic for a podium, but I hope you're right.

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not at Baku and not the way he is driving 

More importantly, not in the car he's in. it would be a miracle if a McLaren finished on the podium.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

More importantly, not in the car he's in.

I don't think the car is so much of a factor at this race. As long as he stays out of trouble in the first few laps, makes good tactical decisions around any safety car periods and has a bit of luck, then he could well be up there ????

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think the car is so much of a factor at this race. As long as he stays out of trouble in the first few laps, makes good tactical decisions around any safety car periods and has a bit of luck, then he could well be up there ????

Personally, I think that he needs a good start and make his move early, then settle down behind the leaders, hoping that one or more of them makes a mistake. Watch for Leclerc coming up behind him. 2 young guns on their game. Could be fireworks!

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Used to be 2 hours or 200 miles. In the past, Monaco was shortened a number of times due to the 2 hour limitation. Not sure that includes time spent under a red flag. The likely limitation at Baku would probably be failing light, which deteriorated badly at the end of qualifying yesterday.

Yes it will be light that is the deciding factor, that was the issue in KL 2009, rain had forced the race to stop on lap 31, by the time the rain had eased it was 6:30pm and the light was failing so the race was aborted and half points awarded.

17 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes it will be light that is the deciding factor, that was the issue in KL 2009, rain had forced the race to stop on lap 31, by the time the rain had eased it was 6:30pm and the light was failing so the race was aborted and half points awarded.

Watched the race from the open paddock at turn 3. Absolutely soaked and only half a race. Miserable day. At least I got to see Button win one. Actually a great circuit with great facilities. Shame that it's no longer on the calendar.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Spidey said:

And his team mate second last. Williams have neither the cars nor the drivers.

Ocon is Mercedes reserve driver.

Ocon maybe Mercedes reserve driver, but I am sure Claire could do a deal with Toto, a loan driver, Mercedes can recall him if needed.

Williams are having a bad time, I hope Patrick can sort out the engineering side but they need better drivers.

After Leclerc's crash, Mercedes even played a little trick on Ferrari, by sending their two cars out for their final run a little early, expecting Vettel to follow them. Ferrari took the bait, only for the Mercedes drivers to stop at the end of the pit lane and pretend to do practice starts, forcing Vettel to pass them. Which left him without the benefit of a tow for his lap.

This led to an amusing exchange in the news conference, when Vettel said: "Your fake starts in Q3. Did you do a start or did you just stop?"

Hamilton replied: "We just dummied you basically!"

Bottas needs to drive the race of his life... with Lewis riding shotgun keeping vettel in third.

This is going to be a race where the safety cars are going to be the deciding factor.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mosha said:

My prediction is next week Ferrari will concentrate on next season's car 555.

_106910205_ferrarischarlesleclercinthepits_reuters.jpg.90a1175a96b09c79e73b02e1e36eda85.jpg

Ferrari have an upgraded engine, aerodynamics... and plenty of work to do

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48238294

Suppose one should wait until the chequered flag tomorrow to comment on Ferrari, but looks like a very predictable Mercedes 1-2...

Anther grid 1-2 in a race that ontrack overtaking is near impossible.

Though with a 60% chance of rain Mercedes will be ensuring everybody knows what to to do, it is not about winning now, it is more about not losing maximum points...

Archived