Health insurance which cover pre-existing conditions

Dooball

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

To be fair. A lot of questions specify time frame of having illness. So a good company will not be digging . One that plans to knock you back , would ask more questions and demand blood tests and xrays before giving premium price. 

They would dig if they suspected you had lied. They would suspect that if you, early in the policy, came in with a claim for a problem the nature of which is chronic.  Especially the type of chronic problem which seldom requires treatment until it has existed for a while.

The vast majority of claims are not like that and no digging involved. And once you have had a policy for a few years with no claims, you're usually fine.

It is claims for chronic conditions in the first year or two of a policy (which were not disclosed on the application form) that will get scrutiny.

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

To be fair. A lot of questions specify time frame of having illness. So a good company will not be digging . One that plans to knock you back , would ask more questions and demand blood tests and xrays before giving premium price. 

If you are "too old" then they will ask for those tests.

They work with statistics. But if they suspect you are cheating then they have a good chance to find dirt - if anything is suspicious in your records.

A couple of years ago I wanted to apply for a new insurance and I asked the BNH in Bangkok for my records. I think it was about 20 pages with lots of details which I didn't expect...

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

They would dig if they suspected you had lied. They would suspect that if you, early in the policy, came in with a claim for a problem the nature of which is chronic.  Especially the type of chronic problem which seldom requires treatment until it has existed for a while.

The vast majority of claims are not like that and no digging involved. And once you have had a policy for a few years with no claims, you're usually fine.

It is claims for chronic conditions in the first year or two of a policy (which were not disclosed on the application form) that will get scrutiny.

True , but if you did not know about it  and were never treated for it, they can not knock you back , no matter how much they dig.

i still believe it’s down to a company you go with. Cheaper ones usually look for way out , more expansive ones are more relaxed.

when I was shopping for insurance I was loaded 30% extra by bupa because I had shoulder surgery 10 years prior with clear bill of health by the surgeon . April did not even ask for doctors report, policy was about 2000 baht more per year.

another one excluded most things because I was a smoker and over weight by their norms, yet policy was about 30% cheaper than bupa

another one was half the price of bupa and wanted some blood tests, after getting it they turned me down.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are "too old" then they will ask for those tests.

They work with statistics. But if they suspect you are cheating then they have a good chance to find dirt - if anything is suspicious in your records.

A couple of years ago I wanted to apply for a new insurance and I asked the BNH in Bangkok for my records. I think it was about 20 pages with lots of details which I didn't expect...

Of course if you did seek medical help for conditions they would find out but if you never did then you in the clear as you did not know.

that is assuming one tells them where they were treated before , highly unlikely insurance will contact every single hospital in the country to seek out records . Would be impossible 

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Because then it's no pre-existing condition. That's exactly the point.

Some conditions may well be pre existing but person did not know it was there or ever treated for it. That’s my understanding of it 

Some conditions may well be pre existing but person did not know it was there or ever treated for it. That’s my understanding of it 

The usual clause in most policies is domething to the effect of "knew about or could reasonably have been expected to know". For example, you had obvious symptoms but failed to see a doctor would fit the latter case.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

it has a good reputation AFAIK.

Has been around a long time but was originally just for Israeli expats, recently branched out globally.

It does not routinely cover pre-existing ocnditions but on a case by case basis may do so at a higher premium.
Where can you find reviews and feedback on David Shield? ideally I'd like to see hundreds of reviews about claim experience. I couldn't find anything on Google

Archived