Us, the Golden Generation.....

swissie

Today, worldwide the kids are hitting the streets, claiming that not enough is been done to "stop climate change".
- It got me thinking.

Us retired people, aged between 60 and 70 really are the "Golden Generation". No wars in Europe for 70 years, steady economic growth since the end of WW2, enableling us to spend our retirement years in a tropical paradise. All of us born in the right country at the right time.

I would like to join the kids on the streets today, offering them hope and confidence. But I can't. I would have to tell them things that I don't want to tell them:
- We are past the "pivot-point" as far as earth-warming is concerned. = We MUST continue with economic-growth, otherwise the world-economy will collapse and 3rd world countries will never agree to a "zero-growth" economy.
- The Perma-Frost in northern Canada and Siberia is starting to thaw, releasing massive amounts of Methane-Gas (24 times worse than CO2).
- Due to robotics, massive job losses will be the result of this. Even with a university degree, if lucky, you will be driving a Taxi.
- The global political/economical tensions are increasing. The willingness to settle conflicts by military force is increasing (weapons production/exports are at an all time high.)
   I just don't have the guts to join the kids and tell them all those things.
------------------------------------------
The point: Instead of Farangs hating/disliking other Farangs in Thailand, (the many threads here addressing this subject), we should keep in mind that we are the "Golden Generation", most of us able to retire in a tropical paradise (if we desire so).
Justifiable hate/dislike may emerge from our kids and their kids towards us in the future, us the Golden Generation, as we messed it up nicely for them.

This would be justifiable hate/dislike, as opposed to unjustifiable hate/dislike of Farangs attacking each other with the most modern of all weapons: A KEYBOARD !
Cheers.  

climate change is natural, and warmer is better then colder.

what concerns me the most is the golden generation

releases massive amount of methane,

and theres no comparison to CO2, we cant live without CO2.

i think it would be great if robots can take over any job

that causes injuries

20 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I believe Glasgow was once a desert, then we had the ice age...isnt this global warming cyclical, and at present just a way for Governments to hike taxes in the name of saving the planet

Some people will say that Glasgow is still a desert.:smile: Sorry, just joking.

- Nobody has ever questioned the fact that climate changes have always occured. Warm Periods followed by minor Ice-Ages. This natural cycle has always taken 10 to 20thousand years. Actually, we are on the verge of an other "minor" Ice age, historically. Thanks to "us" and our activities and lifestyle we will be "bucking" the trend. Irreversably.

Have property on Miami-Beach? Sell it now, because your children will have a hard time selling it, once miami-beach will be classified as "swamp-land". Not scaremongering, just Physics in action.

You can argue with your Mother-in-law, but you can not argue with Physics.

51 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

climate change is natural, and warmer is better then colder.

what concerns me the most is the golden generation

releases massive amount of methane,

and theres no comparison to CO2, we cant live without CO2.

i think it would be great if robots can take over any job

that causes injuries

We can live without CO2, but the plants can't live without CO2: Producing Oxygen for us to breathe. But the oversuppy of CO2 will not produce more Oxygen for us as the major suppliers of Oxygen (the rain forests, for example) are being cut down. Replaced by Soybean Plantations, that produce far less Oxygen per Square-Meter.

Robots: They don't pay any Taxes. Who or what is going to pay the "minimum-survival-income" for those, having been replaced by Robots?

????

No sense stressing about the temperature, Ol Sol will burp out a big fat sunpuke of particles someday that will disrupt all the electronics on earth, breaking the bonds of civilization and turning the planet into a dark war zone where armed gangs of cannibals roam the streets of Paris seeking to feed, while stunned survivors band into feudal camps for their own protection as man, turned savage by the end of civilization, preys on his fellow men, women roped and herded into caves as sex slaves for the tattooed tribal masters and the old and infirm are sacrificed for meat, typhus run rampant, skeletal souls draining dysenteric fluids as they feverishly moan, fat, greasy headed vultures tearing the rotting flesh of thousands, furtive shapes in rags gnawing on old cans of Baked Beans, howls and screams.......

2 hours ago, swissie said:

We can live without CO2, but the plants can't live without CO2: Producing Oxygen for us to breathe. But the oversuppy of CO2 will not produce more Oxygen for us as the major suppliers of Oxygen (the rain forests, for example) are being cut down. Replaced by Soybean Plantations, that produce far less Oxygen per Square-Meter.

Robots: They don't pay any Taxes. Who or what is going to pay the "minimum-survival-income" for those, having been replaced by Robots?

????

robots produce, humans consume, everyones happy,

robots dont request salary

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Due to robotics, massive job losses will be the result of this. Even with a university degree, if lucky, you will be driving a Taxi.

Been like that in UK for years many people with a degree get jobs abroad IME. 

The black cab taxi drivers I've met are clever people that exam they have to do would be a nightmare to me. 

The consensus by many is population numbers cause problems the robots will make things worse but the rich will get richer and there will be greater numbers of poor as I see it.

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

robots produce, humans consume, everyones happy,

robots dont request salary

Robots take over the world stating that humans are useless mouths to feed..a drain on the economy and not much fun in bed..

Homo Sapiens short reign of terror (only 70,000 years) is over.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

No sense stressing about the temperature, Ol Sol will burp out a big fat sunpuke of particles someday that will disrupt all the electronics on earth, breaking the bonds of civilization and turning the planet into a dark war zone where armed gangs of cannibals roam the streets of Paris seeking to feed, while stunned survivors band into feudal camps for their own protection as man, turned savage by the end of civilization, preys on his fellow men, women roped and herded into caves as sex slaves for the tattooed tribal masters and the old and infirm are sacrificed for meat, typhus run rampant, skeletal souls draining dysenteric fluids as they feverishly moan, fat, greasy headed vultures tearing the rotting flesh of thousands, furtive shapes in rags gnawing on old cans of Baked Beans, howls and screams.......

kinda like the U.K. after brexit?

3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

kinda like the U.K. after brexit?

More like your Parliament I hear. Hear hear. Hear. here. May we hear from the Member from the Riding of Reading? Hrumpf harumpf, your Lordship, I thank you for recognizing me, may I say most sincerely that I have listened to the speech of the esteemed member from Luton and while his points are indeed, well taken, he is nothing more than the deranged spawn of a syphilitic Newcastle strumpet and an Asian donkey driver with no nose, hear hear wot wot SHAME rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb SHAME and then they all start picking up axes and maces and halberds and broadswords and start hacking, Teresa May running through the Halls of Parliament being chased by Boris Johnson naked with a Viking helmet swinging a flail, Jeremy Corbyn waving a pic of Stalin..........

14 hours ago, swissie said:

Due to robotics, massive job losses will be the result of this. Even with a university degree, if lucky, you will be driving a Taxi.

No, the taxis will be autonomous, so no human taxi drivers. 

The biggest threat humans face in the short term is automation destroying jobs.

The universal wage or whatever they call it is an attempt to buy us off doing anything about it.

The golden age is only for those with the money to enjoy it. If one was made poor by the wrong wife it's the "anything but golden" age, surviving on the pittance the government gives us.

CO2 is as nothing compared to methane, and you are correct about the tundra releasing it. I guess we are doomed.

By bye cruel world.

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

and I thought I was pessimistic. I just think our lords and masters will see the writing on the wall and introduce voluntary euthanasia, leading to a sort of Logan's Run future. I can't see any way millions and millions of unemployed mouths are going to get fed.

6 hours ago, swissie said:

????

Um, we can't live without CO2. It is necessary to induce the breathe response. If there was no CO2 we wouldn't breathe and would die.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

More like your Parliament I hear. Hear hear. Hear. here. May we hear from the Member from the Riding of Reading? Hrumpf harumpf, your Lordship, I thank you for recognizing me, may I say most sincerely that I have listened to the speech of the esteemed member from Luton and while his points are indeed, well taken, he is nothing more than the deranged spawn of a syphilitic Newcastle strumpet and an Asian donkey driver with no nose, hear hear wot wot SHAME rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb SHAME and then they all start picking up axes and maces and halberds and broadswords and start hacking, Teresa May running through the Halls of Parliament being chased by Boris Johnson naked with a Viking helmet swinging a flail, Jeremy Corbyn waving a pic of Stalin..........

You're on a roll today. 

image.png.5cb9c5fcb072b785d0196533cd607903.png

On 3/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Um, we can't live without CO2. It is necessary to induce the breathe response. If there was no CO2 we wouldn't breathe and would die.

and the beer would be flat

Archived