SURVEY: Should citizens be required to vote?

Scott

SURVEY: Should citizens be required to vote?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As of August 2013, 22 countries were recorded as having compulsory voting.   In your opinion, should citizens of a country be required to vote? 

Please feel free to leave a comment.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...should citizens of a country be required to vote?" 

I would argue 'Yes'.

When one is a citizen of a country, interacts in that country, lives and works in that country, pays taxes in that country, worships in that country, complains about that country, etc, one should add a voice to how that country functions by helping to choose the representatives who govern that country. It is perhaps an hour or two a year (if not less), but if/when citizens make their voices known, it should lead to a better functioning country. Simply put, it isn't much to ask and it, by virtue of forcing a brief action, extends and enhances the sense that all citizens are part of the whole.

There will certainly be those that argue that not voting is also making a statement, but I would argue that the same statement can be made by voting for no one or spoiling your ballot.

Citizenship provides rights, and every right comes with a responsibility. I'd argue that one part of the responsibility is to provide 'feedback' occasionally.

20 minutes ago, mania said:

Only if they make it a true vote by adding

"None Of The Above"

to all ballots

If not your just forcing folks to choose the least worst candidate in most cases

The compulsory part of the Australian system obliges you to present to the polling station,be marked off the rolls and then proceed into the actual booths.What you do with the papers after that is up to you.You can draw Mickey Mouse all over them or write "none of the above" in which case it will be registered as an informal vote.

There are,of course,provisions made for postal voting,hospitals..etc.

I always noted that the non unionized labor at my work were the first to scream about their pay rises and I put them in the same category as the 30-40 % of the Brits and Americans who are habitually too lazy to vote.

I do believe that citizens of democratic nations should be compelled to vote. I also believe that those like myself who would wish to see them vote will often not be very pleased with the result. Still, it's good to have some skin in the game. Talk is cheap. Live with your choices and learn from them.

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Citizenship provides rights, and every right comes with a responsibility. I'd argue that one part of the responsibility is to provide 'feedback' occasionally.

Not going to vote is quite a feedback i say.

Apparently the politicians don't like it :whistling:

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Not going to vote is quite a feedback i say.

Apparently the politicians don't like it :whistling:

No..laziness..ignorance..apathy and the desperate desire to avoid all forms of responsibility whatsoever.

If 30% don't vote politicians ignore them realizing that the slobs are content with their dunkin' donuts and cardboard pizzas.

Some of them state that their stance is based on ideological grounds but it usually comes down to the fact that they cannot decide between "El Obeso" and "La Stencha" pizzas on the day.

16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yes about the only thing I can say good about Donald is people are paying attention now a strong yes

I have no evidence to back this up, but it is my gut feeling that a lot of the Trump supporters never even voted. If everyone were compelled to vote his results might be even better. Still, in America it is the so called "Independent" voter that swings elections. If they pass on Trump, he's done.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

the fact that they cannot decide between "El Obeso" and "La Stencha" pizzas on the day.

Yup, we can agree on that, i don't like either of those.

In all fairness, when 50% of the populace can't be bothered to vote, it's time for the political circus to have a reality check.

28 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yup, we can agree on that, i don't like either of those.

In all fairness, when 50% of the populace can't be bothered to vote, it's time for the political circus to have a reality check.

But the numbers have always been reasonably low.

During the 19th  and early 20th century the British parliament progessively removed property qualifications until it progressed to the full franchise for both men and women in the 1920s.

A lot of the conservative minded thought that this would create a radical avalanche..but in fact it never really did.

Politics is a game that not everybody wishes to play at.

Just as to why that is has been the stuff of much ink being spilt.

Please note:I am only talking about the Western parliamentary system.

However i am a firm believer in "muscular" democracy on the grounds that you either use it or you lose it.

And lose it you will.

A reported post has been reviewed and has been found to not be in violation of this forum rule:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

But the numbers have always been reasonably low.

During the 19th  and early 20th century the British parliament progessively removed property qualifications until it progressed to the full franchise for both men and women in the 1920s.

A lot of the conservative minded thought that this would create a radical avalanche..but in fact it never really did.

Politics is a game that not everybody wishes to play at.

Why that is has been the stuff of much ink being spilt.

Please note:I am only talking about the Western parliamentary system.

..Whatever, as a supporter of human rights, i support the freedom to abstain from voting.

.. And freedom in general.

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

..Whatever, as a supporter of human rights, i support the freedom to abstain from voting.

.. And freedom in general.

Freedom is fought for and earned.-and retained.

It is not a gift from "god"-ie your ancestors fought for a thousand years for that freedom.

As is every "right" which doesn't come from "god" either.

Something your Thai neighbours have never had.

I like your dismissal of history as "whatever"-shows where the problem really lies,eh?

The trouble with compulsory voting is the choice that you have, or in my case don't have.  I am from UK and the politicians there, as in most places in the World,  are universally a bunch of arrogant, self serving, opinionated, pompous idiots, that BREXIT has shown to be cloth eared and dim. I have been disenfranchised by them, as none of them are worth my vote.  Forcing me to vote won't change that situation.  Goodness knows what would, beyond a complete clear out, ban formal parties and start again.    

A list of those who didn't vote should be published after the election, and, should anyone on that list later be found complaining about foreign / immigration / any other government enacted policy, or the government in general, they should be placed on display in a public place, pelted with eggs, and have their Thai Visa account terminated.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The trouble with compulsory voting is the choice that you have, or in my case don't have.  I am from UK and the politicians there, as in most places in the World,  are universally a bunch of arrogant, self serving, opinionated, pompous idiots, that BREXIT has shown to be cloth eared and dim. I have been disenfranchised by them, as none of them are worth my vote.  Forcing me to vote won't change that situation.  Goodness knows what would, beyond a complete clear out, ban formal parties and start again.    

Politics commences at the grass roots level-it is not all about whatever national slogan is the current favourite.

You can participate or not-that is your choice.

The Australian system at least forces you away from Oprah,the internet and becoming obese and commits you to an hours outing.As I said-you can always vote "informal".

At least you get some fresh air.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I agree with you, but the benefit of compulsory voting is that other candidates might enter the race knowing that people who don't generally vote because of the bleak choices might give them a look.

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Freedom is fought for and earned.-and retained.

It is not a gift from "god"-ie your ancestors fought for a thousand years for that freedom.

As is every "right" which doesn't come from "god" either.

Something your Thai neighbours have never had.

I like your dismissal of history as "whatever"-shows where the problem really lies,eh?

Oh, please, spare me the rhetoric of "just" war.

I am not dismissing history at all, and i agree that freedom has to be earned.

Now, should you come to my home and try to force me to do something i don't want to do, be prepared for an argument :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Politics commences at the grass roots level-it is not all about whatever national slogan is the current favourite.

You can participate or not-that is your choice.

The Australian system at least forces you away from Oprah,the internet and becoming obese and commits you to an hours outing.As I said-you can always vote "informal".

At least you get some fresh air.

Beside which, for some of them, it's the only time they're allowed anywhere near a school.

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Oh, please, spare me the rhetoric of "just" war.

I am not dismissing history at all, and i agree that freedom has to be earned.

Now, should you come to my home and try to force me to do something i don't want to do, be prepared for an argument :tongue:

Ridiculous argument.

I haven't even mentioned "just war" or any other kind of war.

Where,on earth,do you think the priciple of human rights come from-your village in Nakhon Nowhere?

The village that couldn't vote for the last 5 years because of (yet another) military takeover?

By the way..by coming to Thailand you ceded your rights (in 99% of the case) as a citizen.

Pull the other one-and the faux outrage-next time.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ridiculous argument.

I haven't even mentioned "just war" or any other kind of war.

Where,on earth,do you think the priciple of human rights come from-your village in Nakhon Nowhere?

The village that couldn't vote for the last 5 years because of (yet another) military takeover?

By the way..by coming to Thailand you ceded your rights (in 99% of the case) as a citizen.

Pull the other one-and the faux outrage-next time.

Well, i am surprised, let's stay on topic, shall we ?

Certainly the "principle of human rights" doesn't come from the elite who is constantly trying to erode my freedom, so i will fight, just with words, for the right to vote and NOT to vote.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i am surprised, let's stay on topic, shall we ?

Certainly the "principle of human rights" doesn't come from the elite who is constantly trying to erode my freedom, so i will fight, just with words, for the right to vote and NOT to vote.

If you misquote me once again-ie "just wars" then I will just have to refer you the village Pu Yai who will be able to deal with the problem without infringing on your non existent "human rights" in the village.Presumably by starting yet another carcinogenic fire just outside your windows..

The principle of human rights has never come from Asia.-which you are living in the middle of..

11 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

If you misquote me once again-ie "just wars" then I will just have to refer you the village Pu Yai who will be able to deal with the problem without infringing on your non existent "human rights" in the village.Presumably by starting yet another carcinogenic fire just outside your windows..

The principle of human rights has never come from Asia.-which you are living in the middle of..

Ok, i accept the scolding for misquoting you, and, regarding this topic, i'm close to the stage where i'll agree to disagree.

I'll also admit that i'm a bit of a nihilist, and i find that living in Asia, among a mix of Asian people and foreigners, suits me better than any other place, or at least, i think it does.

The message from the enlightened ones I am getting is "I stand up for my rights - I refuse to vote (but enjoy shouting my irrelevant opinions about how things should be run). I am a true asset to my country - which I hate because of the shitty politicians..."

Of course everyone should vote. Leave the form blank if it is just too big a decision for your little mind, someone will be capable of making an 'X' for you.

Archived