BANGKOK 21 July 2019 08:04
Scott

SURVEY: Should citizens be required to vote?

SURVEY: Should citizens be required to vote?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As of August 2013, 22 countries were recorded as having compulsory voting.   In your opinion, should citizens of a country be required to vote? 

Please feel free to leave a comment.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

No and some should be vetted. There is a bill lurking out there to lower the age to 16. The drinking age should be lowered but not the voting age. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Yes about the only thing I can say good about Donald is people are paying attention now a strong yes

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Not going to vote is quite a feedback i say.

Apparently the politicians don't like it :whistling:

No..laziness..ignorance..apathy and the desperate desire to avoid all forms of responsibility whatsoever.

If 30% don't vote politicians ignore them realizing that the slobs are content with their dunkin' donuts and cardboard pizzas.

Some of them state that their stance is based on ideological grounds but it usually comes down to the fact that they cannot decide between "El Obeso" and "La Stencha" pizzas on the day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yes about the only thing I can say good about Donald is people are paying attention now a strong yes

I have no evidence to back this up, but it is my gut feeling that a lot of the Trump supporters never even voted. If everyone were compelled to vote his results might be even better. Still, in America it is the so called "Independent" voter that swings elections. If they pass on Trump, he's done.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

Let’s start by removing the layers of obstacles used to prevent citizens from voting.

HR-1 now!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

the fact that they cannot decide between "El Obeso" and "La Stencha" pizzas on the day.

Yup, we can agree on that, i don't like either of those.

In all fairness, when 50% of the populace can't be bothered to vote, it's time for the political circus to have a reality check.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yup, we can agree on that, i don't like either of those.

In all fairness, when 50% of the populace can't be bothered to vote, it's time for the political circus to have a reality check.

But the numbers have always been reasonably low.

During the 19th  and early 20th century the British parliament progessively removed property qualifications until it progressed to the full franchise for both men and women in the 1920s.

A lot of the conservative minded thought that this would create a radical avalanche..but in fact it never really did.

Politics is a game that not everybody wishes to play at.

Just as to why that is has been the stuff of much ink being spilt.

Please note:I am only talking about the Western parliamentary system.

However i am a firm believer in "muscular" democracy on the grounds that you either use it or you lose it.

And lose it you will.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1