Moving my LINE account to new phone and saving chats

oldcarguy

40 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

My phone that has LINE on it now
is a Nexus 6 , I want to switch it to a Motorola E5:,

Going back to the seller will not work as I got the E5 from TMobile USA and no one ever heard of LINE here !

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My wife just lost all her chats, photos etc but saved the contacts in a phone switch. After the fact, our daughter came around, who is more LINE savvy, and told us that there is a LINE back up function that you have to do first.

I lost my LINE from my  now dead iphone .  I have tried ever which way to get the account back, but as I can't access the old number, I can't transfer it to my new android phone.  Its all very frustrating. 

You can backup all your chats to the cloud, he is how you do it on the Iphone.
1.  Go to settings, by clicking on friends the click on the wheel at the top left corner of your phone.
2. In settings click on Chats and you should see a line that says Chat history backup.
On your new phone you can restore you chat history.
https://help.line.me/line/ios/?contentId=20007389

I don't know a lot about these things....but when I was about to buy a new phone I simply checked my profile or account details and made sure I was able to "login" to my account again on my new phone. That entailed checking what email address I had used and what phone No. I used for that particular LINE a/c (had more than one LINE a/c). Then simply logged in again 

I have one phone with an expired SIM card but still have LINE. 

Just make sure you have the email address and phone No. filled in ..and write those details down somewhere  so you don't forget them and can login to the same a/c. again.

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Where is the data saved too ?
It would be nice if it was to LINEs website

On Android, it's saved to your Google Drive.

And to your question on having it on two phones: Not possible. LINE allows usage on multiple computers but only one mobile device.

Make sure you’re registered with phone and email. 

Retrieval of backups only works when switching phones on the same platform. If you go from Android to iOS or vice versa it won’t work. 

Backups are are saved to google drive for Android and iCloud for iOS. 

https://help.line.me/line/android/pc?lang=en

Data that can be transferred:
• Friends and groups
• Notes and albums
• Profile settings (profile photo, display name, status message, ID)
• Timeline and Home posts
• Data saved in Keep (including images, videos, text, files)
• The right to use your LINE stickers and themes (including those received as gifts)
• Your purchase history of paid items, along with your Coin and LINE Point balances
• Data registered to authorized apps, including titles from LINE Games and LINE PLAY

Note:
- Coins cannot be transferred between different OSes (e.g. from iOS to Android and vice versa).
- If your friends, groups, or any other information disappeared after transferring your account, it may be due to one of the reasons described in this Help article.

Data that cannot be transferred:
• Chat history

Your chat history is not transferred with your account, so we recommend backing it up beforehand. Backing up and restoring chat historiestoggle
If you don’t back up your chat history beforehand, it will be deleted when you transfer your account after changing devices.

As chats are stored on your device, you’ll need to back them up before changing to a different one.
Important: You can only transfer your chats between devices running the same OS.

iOS users
You can use iCloud to back up your chats. For more details on how to back up and restore your chats, please see this Help article.

Android users
You can use Google Drive to back up your chats. For more details on how to back up and restore your chats, please see this Help article.

Ummmm

I cannot find the sim card that I registered my Line account....ooops

I see on the app that it says change phone number under edit profile ,

I did not want to go any farther since I do not have a replacement sim card/ number.

The original number starts with +66 994------

It's been over a year since I used the number , can I just go to the phone store , get a new account and just change numbers without a problem ?

I understand they need to send a SMS to verify , but as it stands now that phone number is dead :(

Thanks for your help

14 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Ummmm

I cannot find the sim card that I registered my Line account....ooops

I see on the app that it says change phone number under edit profile ,

I did not want to go any farther since I do not have a replacement sim card/ number.

The original number starts with +66 994------

It's been over a year since I used the number , can I just go to the phone store , get a new account and just change numbers without a problem ?

I understand they need to send a SMS to verify , but as it stands now that phone number is dead ????

Thanks for your help

Do you have Facebook account? If yes, you can link your Line account to Facebook and skip the requirement to receive SMS for account transfer.

How to link your Line account to your Facebook account?

https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000117

Line Account transfer to another phone using Facebook credentials.

https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000102

Line is very inconvenient when it comes to switching phones or numbers. 

All the above mentioned methods may not consistently work (and anyway,  Line changes these things every 6 months or so).

Be prepared to lose all chats and maybe also all or at least many contacts. If you keep your contacts don't be surprised if very old contacts you blocked or deleted years ago all of a sudden pop up again.

Many people have had this experience.

What many people do is: contacts you really want keep,  ask them their ID before you switch. Thus you can add them again. Even better,  ask their phone number. So you can keep in touch without relying on Line 

Archived