Why arent Pattaya expats as close ?

georgegeorgia

27 minutes ago, Mark1972 said:

l lived in Pattaya for 7 years, before returning to the UK.  Next year l am moving back with my Thai daughter to Pattaya. When l was there a few years ago, Pattaya was full of English criminals, l was one. There are distinct classes as other posters have mentioned, but when l was there, we all knew each other, l mean the expats living there. l went to prison for a few years ( totally deserved ) and now run courses with the probation service to keep people out of prison and not create victims. l was in Pattaya 2 months ago and there are still alot of my old mates and that criminal class. l am not judging anyone, l have no right, but Thailand will always attract the sort of person l was, here for the girls, sex and drugs if l am honest. All that said it is much harder to remain in Thailand if you are a criminal on the run as l was. Pattaya will always attract men after sex, it's that simple. LOS ! 

That is the most honest ( and probably accurate) post I've seen on TV for many a year. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, Nyezhov said:

Shouldnt have been taxing us then.

Interesting. You rebelled against British taxes, then created the IRS - the most feared tax collector on the planet.

Nonsense! It's because people tend to cling together in adversity. When you think of what the Chiang Mai expats have to put up with, like acute boredom, choking smog, dreadful immigration office, chaotic dangerous traffic, stuck out on a limb etc etc. Compare it to the entertainment on offer in Pattaya; great restaurants, loads of cinemas, world-class shopping malls, beaches, sea breezes, short drive to suvarnabhumi etc. People don't need to cling together because there's so much to do, I'd hate to have to rely on quiz nights, US Democrats abroad and expat clubs for my entertainment.
Definitely the beach, always gets the thumbs up.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, Mark1972 said:

l lived in Pattaya for 7 years, before returning to the UK.  Next year l am moving back with my Thai daughter to Pattaya. When l was there a few years ago, Pattaya was full of English criminals, l was one. There are distinct classes as other posters have mentioned, but when l was there, we all knew each other, l mean the expats living there. l went to prison for a few years ( totally deserved ) and now run courses with the probation service to keep people out of prison and not create victims. l was in Pattaya 2 months ago and there are still alot of my old mates and that criminal class. l am not judging anyone, l have no right, but Thailand will always attract the sort of person l was, here for the girls, sex and drugs if l am honest. All that said it is much harder to remain in Thailand if you are a criminal on the run as l was. Pattaya will always attract men after sex, it's that simple. LOS ! 

Mark, arnt you worried you might get sucked back into the old ways with the girls, drink, and drugs, looks like you have sorted yourself out well done, its very easy to fall back into old ways especially if you've got that addictive personality,   and all the lads will try there best to get you back in the click, good luck..

On 3/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Regardless, i still believe the educated , ex professors, teachers etc choose CM and my belief that they are more sociable and helpful to each other is because they are not of the same class as pattaya expats.

Totally agree

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting. You rebelled against British taxes, then created the IRS - the most feared tax collector on the planet.

No one says that stupid doesnt grow with time

I do not believe TVF represents the majority of expats in Thailand. After a while the constant complaining, blaming, insults, quick fixes and know it all daily posters make TVF hard to read or enjoy. I still read it but much less than before and probably one day will just walk away from reading TVF like most expats in Bangkok and Pattaya. 

On 3/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, bkk6060 said:

It is a world of hate.

Everybody seems to hate each other.

Even close allies, hate.

I never knew the British and other allied countries hated the US so much, until I came here.

And I hear all the Euro countries hating on each other.

Not everyone agrees with the politics of their country which in many cases seems to be the reason.

We are mostly just older people trying to have a life but sadly getting along and showing some support seems to be a low priority.

I for one don't hate the US. I am British. But I think even you can see why people don't like you anymore. Constant wars, Smashing the world economy and then devaluing everyone's savings by 75% afterwards by printing 4 Trillion $ and dumping it into the market might have something to do with it.  

On 3/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Regardless, i still believe the educated , ex professors, teachers etc choose CM and my belief that they are more sociable and helpful to each other is because they are not of the same class as pattaya expats.

I couldn't agree more. I couldn't relate to any of the expats in Pattaya at all. Their conversation

was limited to bar girls, bikes, beer and football. Most of them were sexpats as well

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

After 15+ years in Pattaya and being 70, I opted to live in Thonglor (Bangkok).

During day time I am often the only farang here in Sukhumvit 55.

Like it,

different age, different desiderata. 

U sound like a loner , sometimes better to be i guess

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

After 15+ years in Pattaya and being 70, I opted to live in Thonglor (Bangkok).

During day time I am often the only farang here in Sukhumvit 55.

Like it,

different age, different desiderata. 

I'll be in Bangkok Saturday, be in octave sky bar  thonglor at 6 pm if you fancy a drink, in be wearing a red boob tube and open toed black espadrilles..

3 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I'll be in Bangkok Saturday, be in octave sky bar  thonglor at 6 pm if you fancy a drink, in be wearing a red boob tube and open toed black espadrilles..

I appreciate, however I am a day drinker. Usually drink between noon and 5 p.m., and indeed as written here above I became a loner. 

So thanks but I have to decline. 

8 hours ago, jesimps said:

Nonsense! It's because people tend to cling together in adversity. When you think of what the Chiang Mai expats have to put up with, like acute boredom, choking smog, dreadful immigration office, chaotic dangerous traffic, stuck out on a limb etc etc. Compare it to the entertainment on offer in Pattaya; great restaurants, loads of cinemas, world-class shopping malls, beaches, sea breezes, short drive to suvarnabhumi etc. People don't need to cling together because there's so much to do, I'd hate to have to rely on quiz nights, US Democrats abroad and expat clubs for my entertainment.

Not going to debate the relative merits of CM and Pattaya. I would question, however, what you consider a "short" drive to Suvarnabhumi. As I recall some years ago,it was about 4 hours. Maybe the roads have improved since then.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:48 AM, champers said:

I'll get my butler to organise something, when he's finished polishing the silver.

Afternoon tea perhaps and a spot of croquet, or bridge if one finds it a tad too hot. ????

3 hours ago, lanng khao said:

No chance of a drink after 6pm next Saturday (banned). You will have to cut straight to the chase.

I think you have it all wrong here, I have only been to Chaing Mai twice, so cannot comment, but been to Pattaya lots of times, and apart from these shirtless scum, I have never came up against any expats being unsocial or unhelpful, again it is maybe how you treat them.

In fact I have met one who sends me western food that I cannot get at home.

5 hours ago, gamini said:

I couldn't agree more. I couldn't relate to any of the expats in Pattaya at all. Their conversation

was limited to bar girls, bikes, beer and football. Most of them were sexpats as well

If you frequent bars all the time, that is what you are going to get. Pattaya is not just about bars, although I do admit the bars are a big part of it.

I think the OP should understand there is a difference when it comes to the different nationalities living in Pattaya compared with CM. I have lived at both places so I can compare.

As a Norwegian I feel more at home in Pattaya, because of the big crowd of Norwegian expats and retirees. We even have our own church here and consulate. With weekly meetings and social activities for those who want to hang out with their own , maybe because they share the same language, even if everyone speaks English.

Same with the Swedes, Danes, Germans, French, Russians, etc.

In CM it's primarily British and American expats, with a few exceptions . So maybe it feels like you all know each other up there but not really a big crowd, like in Pattaya where you have a a mix of everything.

13 minutes ago, balo said:

I think the OP should understand there is a difference when it comes to the different nationalities living in Pattaya compared with CM. I have lived at both places so I can compare.

As a Norwegian I feel more at home in Pattaya, because of the big crowd of Norwegian expats and retirees. We even have our own church here and consulate. With weekly meetings and social activities for those who want to hang out with their own , maybe because they share the same language, even if everyone speaks English.

Same with the Swedes, Danes, Germans, French, Russians, etc.

In CM it's primarily British and American expats, with a few exceptions . So maybe it feels like you all know each other up there but not really a big crowd, like in Pattaya where you have a a mix of everything.

I feel at home with the Estonian mafia and Pattaya has CM all beat with that demographic. 

On 3/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, Puchaiyank said:

As a newbie to the Pattaya area I was excited about the prospect of joining the expat club and becoming engaged in community activities.  Attending my first meeting...like a trooper...I immediately went over to the lady signing up new recruits and taking their yearly club dues. Found a large round table filled with expats and one vacant seat...handshakes and names with smiles all around...great start...as I began to actually pay attention to the banter around the table I was amused that to a man they were discussing their boyfriends...stayed the course until meeting was over...never went back to pickup my ID card...I believe they have managed fine without me...and vis versa...

Where was the meeting held? Boyz Town?

Archived