Why arent Pattaya expats as close ?

georgegeorgia

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Regardless, i still believe the educated , ex professors, teachers etc choose CM and my belief that they are more sociable and helpful to each other is because they are not of the same class as pattaya expats.

So stupid ! I guess that you also believe that a family is a Mom and a Dad, that gay should not be allowed to marry and that all drugs should not be legal ?

Not difficult to guess how you are able to think at max.

So stupid ! I guess that you also believe that a family is a Mom and a Dad, that gay should not be allowed to marry and that all drugs should not be legal ?

You're misinterpreting that.

I spent over 18 years as an expat in Amsterdam and Prague, I make a point of keeping a low profile due to the fact a lot of them are after something, usually your hard earned cash. They spend year one networking year two gaining your trust ,year three they pounce or try to. I prefer to keep my self to my self having witnessed it at close hand . I never tell them what I have instead I say I am semi retired and work part time due to my age. I don't need or want new besties it is much better to watch and ignore them. Trust no one is my rule so far I have been proved right.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Whenever I see a 60+ guy wearing vest and football shorts, with a dozen tats and long frizzy biker hair (or tattooed shaved head), I'm always tempted to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to make sure they know the time of their return ferry to Pattaya. Not that I'm a Hua Hin snob, or anything.... 

1 minute ago, Speedhump said:

Whenever I see a 60+ guy wearing vest and football shorts, with a dozen tats and long frizzy biker hair (or tattooed shaved head), I'm always tempted to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to make sure they know the time of their return ferry to Pattaya. Not that I'm a Hua Hin snob, or anything.... 

No self respecting Pattayan would be caught dead in Hua Hin, must be Bangkokians.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it has a lot to do with the nightlife, bars and the city size.

Many who came to Pattaya dreamed the dream: 

"I go to Thailand, then to Pattaya and open a Bar or a Restaurant," 

99 of 100 failed by starting a "career" as Bar Owner and ended as a lost soul, bragging and borrowing, but still waiting for the break through that never comes.

Even Pattaya is nowadays a developed city,

it is still from many Newcomers considered as the Klondike of Thailand. But these times have been gone for years. 

Living in Pattaya for a reason or for a dream makes 2 classes of foreigners. 

Pattaya has definitely more dreamers than people who can easy stand their life.

I have 3 Friends that is enough to cover my free time and we stand tall for each other, and made it.

We have met during our 12-17 years many coming with a dream and leaving broke.

And so we keeping people on distance as we have seen all of the gold rush but never got involved.

In other cities I experienced that the Foreigners are not so suspicious towards each others, there are the workers that bring the money from outside into Thailand and the Pensioners whose money also comes from outside are a majority...  

3 minutes ago, See Will said:

I guess it has a lot to do with the nightlife, bars and the city size.

Many who came to Pattaya dreamed the dream: 

"I go to Thailand, then to Pattaya and open a Bar or a Restaurant," 

99 of 100 failed by starting a "career" as Bar Owner and ended as a lost soul, bragging and borrowing, but still waiting for the break through that never comes.

Even Pattaya is nowadays a developed city,

it is still from many Newcomers considered as the Klondike of Thailand. But these times have been gone for years. 

Living in Pattaya for a reason or for a dream makes 2 classes of foreigners. 

Pattaya has definitely more dreamers than people who can easy stand their life.

I have 3 Friends that is enough to cover my free time and we stand tall for each other, and made it.

We have met during our 12-17 years many coming with a dream and leaving broke.

And so we keeping people on distance as we have seen all of the gold rush but never got involved.

In other cities I experienced that the Foreigners are not so suspicious towards each others, there are the workers that bring the money from outside into Thailand and the Pensioners whose money also comes from outside are a majority...  

Klondike for who?  Sex addicts?  Alcoholics?  Criminals on the run?  Sure there are people trying legitimate business but they are not so common.  Maybe a Klondike for the Isaan girls going to work in a bar or a gogo lol.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:09 AM, Speedhump said:

But you came over here from your Hua Hin paradise to snipe. Are you a tad bored by any chance ?  By god Hua Hin BORES me.....as well as cost double what I pay in Jomtiem and twice the distance from the airport.   But each to his own hey !

On 3/19/2019 at 3:44 AM, myshem said:

Your perception and how wrong it is .

I always find it hypocritical when those who shout the loudest for a minority group aren’t themselves part of that group, eg gay , but go onto criticise those who arent the same !

Because I was talking about different  classes  you wrongly presume im homophobic ?

There are also different “ classes” in the pattaya Gay community , some choose Boyztown, some choose Sunee Plaza , of course being the lady I am i only mix with the upper class not the peasants

As another poster said ,my life here is much the same as we had in the UK ,my wife and i enjoy each others company ,the main difference is that she loves to trail run ,and when home never stops cleaning doing the garden or washing the car , she loves fitness ,i like watching tv and reading the paper etc other times we just like going for a drive ,also i am happy watching her work ????

On 4/18/2019 at 3:16 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

But you came over here from your Hua Hin paradise to snipe. Are you a tad bored by any chance ?  By god Hua Hin BORES me.....as well as cost double what I pay in Jomtiem and twice the distance from the airport.   But each to his own hey !

I have never been to Pattaya. Not once. Read my post again. I'm happy being over the other side of the water to the pie-eating crowd, and darts and pool leagues. I was talking about fellow residents of yours coming across on the ferry. Hope that's clear now? 

I lived in Pattaya & Naklua for 13 years while my job was a 20 minute drive away. My circle of friends were like me, also working - some were fellows I met at the fitness center of a hotel. So these fellows were not hanging out at the bars at night. The few times I’d strike up a conversation with a Westerner at a coffee shop or along the beach the conversation always turned to the degradation of Thai women or complaining of Thailand (and most of these guys were indoctrinated by Fox News). In Bangkok, through a group of expat friends, I was able to meet a different group of expat men than in Pattaya. Now I am staying in Khon Khan and loving the local Thai people and have met some good Westerners that are not always complaining or talking about sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I resent your comments that Pattaya is less of a class place than Chiang Mai. From your comments I guess you are really not aware of what goes on in Pattaya. I belong to two expats clubs here, both offer a wide variety of assistance to the expats in the community and have smaller groups that meet with activities and topics that they enjoy. The foreign Ladies has a great expat organization it has luncheons and activities to raise funds for different organizations in the community. You must be hanging around the beer bars all day if you think that all the expats in Pattaya are low class you sound like a pretty snobby guy good luck to you and stay in Chiang Mai fighting the smog.

Sent from my vivo 1818 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I resent your comments that Pattaya is less of a class place than Chiang Mai. From your comments I guess you are really not aware of what goes on in Pattaya. I belong to two expats clubs here, both offer a wide variety of assistance to the expats in the community and have smaller groups that meet with activities and topics that they enjoy. The foreign Ladies has a great expat organization it has luncheons and activities to raise funds for different organizations in the community. You must be hanging around the beer bars all day if you think that all the expats in Pattaya are low class you sound like a pretty snobby guy good luck to you and stay in Chiang Mai fighting the smog.

Sent from my vivo 1818 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What you say “Pongpat” is true... there is the expat club which meets one a week that has helpful advice for “farangs” living in Pattaya. Also many of my retired Western buddies belong to various sport groups -( even Chess)... but I still think it’s easier to meet “real people “ in BKK

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

chiang mai people are the kind that like to broadcast themselves on blogs, fb/instagram and youtube religiously trying to live within the terms of use so they don't get deplatformed where as pattaya people like their privacy and appreciate the no camera signs and security enforcement that comes with it in their favorite hangouts

On 3/16/2019 at 12:48 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I am thinking its because the more wealthier or educated expats retire to Chiang mai rather than the working or lower classes .

You mean the older Remainer prefers Chiang Mai whereas the older Brexiteer hangs his hat in Pattaya.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:48 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I guess thats ehy  they say more elderly farang ladies retire to CM instead of Pattaya

If living in a community where the blue-rinse set have a target-rich environment floats your boat, have at it.

22 hours ago, jbob said:

chiang mai people are the kind that like to broadcast themselves on blogs, fb/instagram and youtube religiously trying to live within the terms of use so they don't get deplatformed where as pattaya people like their privacy and appreciate the no camera signs and security enforcement that comes with it in their favorite hangouts

Generational divide. Attention whoring is the basic MO of the millenial generation flocking to CM to work remotely and illegally from their laptops, Pattaya attracts the previous generations whose exploits may not stand the sunlight. Perfect that way, IMHO, go do your selfies elsewhere.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, grifbel said:

So all the "retired" English teachers congregate in CM.  Thanks for the warning...I think I will give it a miss!

CM is chia lattes, top knotters, back packers, elderly gays and farang wives who look like Eric Bristow.  Plus it closes early by heavy police and military presence. Joyless, polluted and devoid of fun or spontaneity.  But I dont have any strong opinions on the place really.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, grifbel said:

So all the "retired" English teachers congregate in CM.  Thanks for the warning...I think I will give it a miss!

On another forum where those recently disenfranchised of income letters are talking about different venues to pitch their tents, someone suggested that Da Nang can't be bad because a squat of Chiang Mai teachers have already moved there.

Vietnam watchers be warned!

PS. I hope I have used the correct collective noun for teachers.

15 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

CM is chia lattes, top knotters, back packers, elderly gays and farang wives who look like Eric Bristow.  Plus it closes early by heavy police and military presence. Joyless, polluted and devoid of fun or spontaneity.  But I dont have any strong opinions on the place really.

Oh come now, tell us what you really think ????

My take is CM is some sort of millenial SJW wannabe hipster hamlet up in cold north, while Pattaya, the center of the universe, although rapidly losing it's luster, is the righteous hub of mongering where real men in their wifebeaters practise hedonism unfettered. Don't start me on Hua Hin.

My take is CM is some sort of millenial SJW wannabe hipster hamlet up in cold north...

Not really. There are a lot of those types but that's one of several groups that are present in significant numbers.  The expats in CM are diverse enough that if someone asks you to describe the typical CM expat it's hard to do.

Archived