BANGKOK 23 April 2019 01:23
georgegeorgia

Why arent Pattaya expats as close ?

I think the OP should understand there is a difference when it comes to the different nationalities living in Pattaya compared with CM. I have lived at both places so I can compare.

As a Norwegian I feel more at home in Pattaya, because of the big crowd of Norwegian expats and retirees. We even have our own church here and consulate. With weekly meetings and social activities for those who want to hang out with their own , maybe because they share the same language, even if everyone speaks English.

Same with the Swedes, Danes, Germans, French, Russians, etc.

In CM it's primarily British and American expats, with a few exceptions . So maybe it feels like you all know each other up there but not really a big crowd, like in Pattaya where you have a a mix of everything.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, balo said:

I think the OP should understand there is a difference when it comes to the different nationalities living in Pattaya compared with CM. I have lived at both places so I can compare.

As a Norwegian I feel more at home in Pattaya, because of the big crowd of Norwegian expats and retirees. We even have our own church here and consulate. With weekly meetings and social activities for those who want to hang out with their own , maybe because they share the same language, even if everyone speaks English.

Same with the Swedes, Danes, Germans, French, Russians, etc.

In CM it's primarily British and American expats, with a few exceptions . So maybe it feels like you all know each other up there but not really a big crowd, like in Pattaya where you have a a mix of everything.

I feel at home with the Estonian mafia and Pattaya has CM all beat with that demographic. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I feel at home with the Estonian mafia and Pattaya has CM all beat with that demographic. 

Probably true, although I guess most aren't native Estonian but imports from former master: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russification

Not sure, the Pattaya City Expat Club is a pretty tight little group of guys.....maybe you just hang out in the wrong area of town...like WS?😱

Ok, good question, but once you find out the answer who or what are you/we going to do about it??? Just asking?

On 3/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Regardless, i still believe the educated , ex professors, teachers etc choose CM and my belief that they are more sociable and helpful to each other is because they are not of the same class as pattaya expats.

So stupid ! I guess that you also believe that a family is a Mom and a Dad, that gay should not be allowed to marry and that all drugs should not be legal ?

Not difficult to guess how you are able to think at max.

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

A guy pulled a gun on me in Estonia once cos I had my foot on the table in his bar (it was actually only against it not on it) - went through two pairs of underpants that night !!

So stupid ! I guess that you also believe that a family is a Mom and a Dad, that gay should not be allowed to marry and that all drugs should not be legal ?

Not difficult to guess how you are able to think at max.

You're misinterpreting that.

I spent over 18 years as an expat in Amsterdam and Prague, I make a point of keeping a low profile due to the fact a lot of them are after something, usually your hard earned cash. They spend year one networking year two gaining your trust ,year three they pounce or try to. I prefer to keep my self to my self having witnessed it at close hand . I never tell them what I have instead I say I am semi retired and work part time due to my age. I don't need or want new besties it is much better to watch and ignore them. Trust no one is my rule so far I have been proved right.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whenever I see a 60+ guy wearing vest and football shorts, with a dozen tats and long frizzy biker hair (or tattooed shaved head), I'm always tempted to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to make sure they know the time of their return ferry to Pattaya. Not that I'm a Hua Hin snob, or anything.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

No self respecting Pattayan would be caught dead in Hua Hin, must be Bangkokians.

I thought most expats believe that most HH residents are dead or near dead anyway! It's nice and quiet, though.... 

I guess it has a lot to do with the nightlife, bars and the city size.

Many who came to Pattaya dreamed the dream: 

"I go to Thailand, then to Pattaya and open a Bar or a Restaurant," 

99 of 100 failed by starting a "career" as Bar Owner and ended as a lost soul, bragging and borrowing, but still waiting for the break through that never comes.

Even Pattaya is nowadays a developed city,

it is still from many Newcomers considered as the Klondike of Thailand. But these times have been gone for years. 

Living in Pattaya for a reason or for a dream makes 2 classes of foreigners. 

Pattaya has definitely more dreamers than people who can easy stand their life.

I have 3 Friends that is enough to cover my free time and we stand tall for each other, and made it.

We have met during our 12-17 years many coming with a dream and leaving broke.

And so we keeping people on distance as we have seen all of the gold rush but never got involved.

In other cities I experienced that the Foreigners are not so suspicious towards each others, there are the workers that bring the money from outside into Thailand and the Pensioners whose money also comes from outside are a majority...  

Edited by See Will
  • Like 1