Information on Prison Sentence

M&M

Hi all - it's a long time since I've been on here.

I am wondering how I would go about finding out the length of someone's prison sentence.

My ex-wife was jailed a number of years ago. I was told initially by family members that she got 6 years. More recently this has been disputed and I was told 15. I have no idea how I would find out for sure - also I no longer live in TL.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance  : ) 

Assuming the jail term was set in Pattaya, a correct name and an ID number could potentially be searched at Police computers here through a lawyer with suitable sworn permission from you. That would cost you. However, not being here puts you at a distinct disadvantage as does the fact that she is your ex-wife -  e,g, do you have any legal right to ask about this through official channels ?. I would simply try to get a family member to clarify. They should know.

There’s some bad advice here. Lawyers are certainly not needed, and the police have nothing to do with sentencing. Anyone can go to the court where there is a terminal in the lobby where you can search for case information by name or ID number. It will tell you what the verdict and sentence was.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

There’s some bad advice here. Lawyers are certainly not needed, and the police have nothing to do with sentencing. Anyone can go to the court where there is a terminal in the lobby where you can search for case information by name or ID number. It will tell you what the verdict and sentence was.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you can type and read Thai I assume.  And no use if you are not in LOS.

Prison sentences and time served are two variable things. I had a friend convicted to 12.5 years for drug offences and was released in 8 years. The reduction was mostly because of his good behaviour and Royal Pardons.

The Court where he was convicted or the prison where he is held will give you a better indication but probably not an accurate one unless the sentence is near it's end.

Thanks all for the comments and advice.

My relationship / contact with her family is non-existent these days, so that's not a goer. I'm not likely to return to LOS until the end of this year - or maybe not until mid 2020. So I may just have to put it on hold.

My main reason is that we had a son, who now lives with me. In the irregular contact he has with his Mother she always dangles the carrot that she 'might' be getting out next year. She has been saying this for the past 3 years. I think it gets his hopes up unfairly - but can't stop her saying this or writing it in a letter. It would put my mind at rest if I did have an idea of when she was likely to be released. 

Cheers & Chok Dee

On 3/16/2019 at 5:36 AM, Kim J said:

That all depends on how much you are prepared to pay to get her out.

If they see a farrang offering to pay I dare say it will be 15 years and consequently quite expensive.

There is always one who still listens to bar stool talk

Times have changed fella

Archived