The Thai Immigration Detention Process.

So if you want to put yourself in that position because too many tourist visas or exemptions, don’t go to airport ! You might be lucky and they let you fly out again pretty quickly ! So make sure you have money to buy a ticket to leave or you will be in detention . It’s simple

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

So if you want to put yourself in that position because too many tourist visas or exemptions, don’t go to airport ! You might be lucky and they let you fly out again pretty quickly ! So make sure you have money to buy a ticket to leave or you will be in detention . It’s simple

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Of course no one wants to be in this position, but with no official rules on the frequency tourist visas or exemption stamps can be used, and the fact that individual immigration officers make a determination with out any official guidelines, this information would be good to know.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Not sure what is your visa situations are, why would anyone want to be in a position to be detained at all is beyond me, if you know in advance that there's a good chance you will be detained and deported, then what's the point man...

The purpose of this thread was not to focus on me, or my visa status, or how to get a visa, or how many tourist visas yo can have, or how often you can get them, or where is best to get them, or which boarder is the easiest to enter, and all the other ways to get into Thailand.

The purpose of this thread was in preparation for the possibility of detention at an airport, and what to expect, should it happen.

I would simply like to know, and given the many threads now being started by people being refused tourist visas at consulates, as well as those being denied entry, I think information on detention may be useful, not only for myself, but for many others as well. 

Edited by Thailand Outcast
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I have read you other current thread. At some point, perhaps already, you will have pretty much exhausted entering via air. You wish to live in Thailand and are over 50. However you state in other thread not wishing to have money in Thai bank etc etc. 

There are current threads that answer your questions in detail. One even has pictures of "detention bunk room". Another where chap, who had his phone, gave live feed. Anyway you wish to play the tourist visa and visa exempt gig then fine. Especially when you can obtain visa that suits your requirements. Enjoy the nervous flights into bkk airports and potential future thread...." Got refused at airport and flown back to ..,.please advise.

As you would know, the visa forum is moving faster and faster by the day, as more and more people are having negative experiences. 

I try to read the relevant threads to my circumstances, but missed the threads you mention.

Can you post the links?

Once again, this thread is not about me and my visa status.

I would simply like to know about the detention process.

10 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

As you would know, the visa forum is moving faster and faster by the day, as more and more people are having negative experiences. 

I try to read the relevant threads to my circumstances, but missed the threads you mention.

Can you post the links?

Once again, this thread is not about me and my visa status.

I would simply like to know about the detention process.

You could start with thread "Expelled no questions asked at DM"....about page 4.

" Denied at DM because too many visa....." page 2.

There are zillion others.

Cover all your questions. Anyway at some point maybe you can start similar one

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could start with thread "Expelled no questions asked at DM"....about page 4.

" Denied at DM because too many visa....." page 2.

There are zillion others.

Cover all your questions. Anyway at some point maybe you can start similar one

I read that thread.

Perhaps this thread could consolidate the pieces of information given in several other threads, and under a more appropriate topic heading for a Google search.

I think I will be ok, but it can't hurt to have information about being detained.  It would be different if there was an official mathematical formula that one could plan their tourist visas and exemption stamps around, and immigration officers stuck to it, but that isn't the case.

48 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

That's why I would like to know the process. 

Is the totty really that good here? Because I can’t think of any other reason you’d subject yourself to such risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

Is the totty really that good here? Because I can’t think of any other reason you’d subject yourself to such risk.

I was hoping this thread stayed on topic, but anywayyyyyyyy.

Ok, so let's look at the risk.

Once again, and again, there is no official rules for the frequency in which an individual can enter on tourist visas or exemption stamps, so one may not know when enough is enough, until they have landed, and by then, it's too late, you are in detention.  If there were official rules on this, there would be no need forthis thread, and many others like it that are currently running.

This is why I would like to know the process, and yes, it has been touched on in several other threads, but perhaps this thread can consolidate the information, and be placed under an appropriate topic heading. 

10 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I read that thread.

Perhaps this thread could consolidate the pieces of information given in several other threads, and under a more appropriate topic heading for a Google search.

I think I will be ok, but it can't hurt to have information about being detained.  It would be different if there was an official mathematical formula that one could plan their tourist visas and exemption stamps around, and immigration officers stuck to it, but that isn't the case.

That has been suggested many times and I agree have simple set rules in place for those using tourist visas, visa exempt etc. One often mentioned is certain number of days per calendar year etc. At least folk would know exactly where they stand rather than play Russian roulette

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That has been suggested many times and I agree have simple set rules in place for those using tourist visas, visa exempt etc. One often mentioned is certain number of days per calendar year etc. At least folk would know exactly where they stand rather than play Russian roulette

It's about time they did that, but they do like to have rules purposely in grey areas, so they can be interpreted to fit a situation.  They can't have people having any rights, can they?  ????

I don't plan to live in Thailand on exemption stamps and tourist visas, but I would like to visit as much as I am legally allowed allowed to by this method. 

Given the lack of official rules for this, and if I got an immigration officer on a bad day, I could end up in detention, and if so, I would like to know the process, from start to finish. 

You're right, I have read bits and pieces in other threads, now I can't find them, and some of these threads have a lot of pages. 

It's only going to get worse from June with the AI crap, and from what I see people are getting bounced at surrounding countries for visas applications much sooner based on what they have in their pport. April 1st with online applications in some countries they won't even get to the visa sticker stage for tourista visas with their back history catching up.

I think June 2019 is a watershed moment for long-stay not working with a Thai employer/not biz owner/not retired/not Elite visa etc.....there are a couple of shaky other options to stay longer but they will get nailed to the wall as well soon enough.

6 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

It's only going to get worse from June with the AI crap, and from what I see people are getting bounced at surrounding countries for visas applications much sooner based on what they have in their pport. April 1st with online applications in some countries they won't even get to the visa sticker stage for tourista visas with their back history catching up.

I think June 2019 is a watershed moment for long-stay not working with a Thai employer/not biz owner/not retired/not Elite visa etc.....there are a couple of shaky other options to stay longer but they will get nailed to the wall as well soon enough.

Correct, and how many will be caught (literally) in that window period, possibly even myself.  This is why I started this thread. 

1 hour ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Once again, and again, there is no official rules for the frequency in which an individual can enter on tourist visas or exemption stamps, so one may not know when enough is enough, until they have landed, and by then, it's too late, you are in detention. 

The larger question is why one wants to be a perpetual tourist in Thailand?

Edited by onera1961
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OK, but let's keep in mind that the passport office (immigration officer) you see on arrival can and will deny entry even though you have received some type of entry approval in advance, and this scenario exists in many countries.

My guess is that many folks see this scenario as:

• Should not be allowed, the passport officer should not have the authority to deny entry.
  • There is a lack of coordination across the various arms of immigration, which should be fixed.
  • and more.

What seems to be missing / not understood is the possibility that the visa or whatever was approved in the home country etc., but by the time the person arrives at an entry airport other information / details are now available which on consideration means the person cannot enter.

This 'flexibility' will very likely never change for a simple reason; the immigration departments / officers of every country have a strong responsibility to keep folks who fall within certain parameters out of the country, therefore all countries will keep that flexibility open until the person has been stamped in.

I know that my home country is very very serious on this matter and they often refuse to accept visas etc., which have been issued prior to actual arrival. 

Will Thai Immigration ever have a rule that visas issued in advance must be accepted without question on actual arrival? The answer is clearly NO.  

Edited by scorecard

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OK, but let's keep in mind that the passport office (immigration officer) you see on arrival can and will deny entry even though you have received some type of entry approval in advance, and this scenario exists in many countries.

But you haven't received entry approval.  All a visa does is give you permission to travel to a port of entry and apply for entry.  If and only if approval is given then the conditions on the visa kick in. That's true of every country that issues visas

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Once again, and again, there is no official rules for the frequency in which an individual can enter on tourist visas or exemption stamps, so one may not know when enough is enough, until they have landed, and by then, it's too late, you are in detention. 

Actually, there are "official rules" set out in a law called the "Immigration Act" for which there is no provision to deny-entry to anyone for "frequency" of tourist-entries or some cumulative length of time.

But, your point is correct in terms of "What really happens" - which is that an IO and his buddies at a lawless point of entry may refuse your entry without legal-cause.  They have overwhelming force, and are not restricted to use that force in accordance with the law, so you are powerless to do anything about this.

My solution - Use Law-Abiding Entry Points and avoid the entire question of being detained.  Fly domestic after you cross the border.  Problem solved.