The Thai Immigration Detention Process.

5 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I think there will be a problem in the future as word spreads of good boarder crossings and bad boarder crossings that people will go "boarder shopping." 

Eventually, the good boarders will be overcrowded and will either have huge queues, or purposely tighten up to discourage so many people from using that crossing. 

Does anyone have any information on entering by boat?  Maybe entering on a yacht.  Never done it before.

1) Try border.

2) I once entered at Sri Racha (could have been Laem Chabang) on a cargo ship, no problem but that was about 15 years ago long before all the current nonsense.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:28 PM, rocketman777 said:

If you don't have anything useful to say on this or  any other topic just keep quite.

If as the OP asked, if, and only if....

Otherwise , shut the ****  up!

Yay, the forum police have arrived! I just knew there had to be a referee on TV ????

Btw, you missed a few threads ????

(Not that I disagree with you... it's just "good luck with that!")

On 3/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, Liverpudlian said:

Typical snide answer often found here, makes one wonder why ?? 

Because that's all they got. You are witnessing the extent of their intellect. 

Just ignore the dim bulbs and be glad it isn't you!

This is a great valuable useful thread with lots of good detail in it.

I applaud those who have mindfully contributed ????

19 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Does anyone have any information on entering by boat?  Maybe entering on a yacht.  Never done it before.

It should be simple since it would be about the same as doing it at a friendly border crossing.

One you could try is the ferry from Langkawi Island, Malaysia to Satun. See: https://www.langkawi-ferry.com/schedule-fare.html

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It all depends on what those limits are.  The anti-farang clique would like something like 90-days total (recent report of IO claiming this was "the law") with no more than 14 days at a stretch (per report of "tourists only stay a week or two" quote).  They would probably eliminate "tourist visas" (with their "crazy, impossible" 60-day permitted stays) altogether, if they could.  If those were the new rules, then entry-point-roulette is "less bad."

On the flip side, they could simply require 10-days out before returning on a new TR Visa, which would make illegal working impossible for almost all, and weed out those who cannot afford 10-day stays/trips in foreign countries on top of the rent they are paying in Thailand.  The "blue stamp" visa runaround could also end.  Even a 3-mo in, 1 mo-out rule was something I would have accepted when I was using TR-Visas, as it would at least be predictable / no worries.

Of course, all these "must go out" schemes waste piles of money which could have been spent in Thailand.  A simple outsourcing-company based B-visa, dependent on paying taxes on a min-income would be the real "win win" solution.  Every 3 mo, you show up at immigration, present Thai tax-receipts, and get another 90-days for 1900 Baht (or even 5K Baht).  But, it's dreaming to think they would undermine the 'elite visa' scheme and 'agents' and the other rackets that line their pockets, with a policy that filled Thai tax-coffers AND injected billions of Baht of additional spending into the country - putting the good of the country first.

In the past, I had done many visa runs. 

Initially, a minivan driver saw a few hundred baht from me, taking me to and from the airport, but towards the end, I joined some other expats who had cars, and jumped a lift to the airport with them, in lieu of buying them some drinks on the visa run.  So the minivan driver ended up seeing no money from me on a visa run.   

I flew with a non Thai owned airline, so no real profits from my visa run there, but Thailand collected some airport tax from me.

I stayed in a hotel for a few nights in a city in a nearby country, they made some money from me. 

I ate three meals a day in restaurants, and some drinks at night, with coffees in cafes in between, so hospitality venues made some money out of me. 

I would do a little shopping by day, and picked up the odd item that was cheap outside Thailand, so I can assure you I was always good for 2 bottles of wine outside Thailand, plus the odd small electronic item, or similar. Usually, the other guys would play golf. 

Taxis around the city, by day and by night, and to and from the airport, would do ok out of my visa run.

The Thai consulate saw some visa application money out of me, as per usual.

Whilst in a different city / country, I checked out some places of interest for tourists. Eg. museums etc, so they made some money out of me. 

I worked it out one time, roughly, that a country competing with Thailand for tourists made a lot more money from my forced visa run than Thailand did forcing on the visa run.

As you say, wouldn't it be more profitable for someone to present themselves at immigration, every 90 days, and pay, say, 10,000 baht for another 90 days?

It's not just about the 10,000 baht, but the three to four days that Thailand loses in consumption from forcing thousands of foreigners to leave Thailand everyday.

On top of all of this, if you force a customer to your competitor, they just might like what the competition is offering, and move.   

Edited by Thailand Outcast

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be simple since it would be about the same as doing it at a friendly border crossing.

One you could try is the ferry from Langkawi Island, Malaysia to Satun. See: https://www.langkawi-ferry.com/schedule-fare.html

Thanks UJ.

This was the one I was thinking of, but also thought about the possibility of hitching a ride with a boatie.

So, these marine boarder crossings are friendly boarders, like the land boarders.  I think I will try this one time. 

6 hours ago, Happystance said:

Yay, the forum police have arrived! I just knew there had to be a referee on TV ????

Btw, you missed a few threads ????

(Not that I disagree with you... it's just "good luck with that!")

Because that's all they got. You are witnessing the extent of their intellect. 

Just ignore the dim bulbs and be glad it isn't you!

This is a great valuable useful thread with lots of good detail in it.

I applaud those who have mindfully contributed ????

I see another guy started a thread today about being denied entry. 

Moving forward, I think people with a long history of entering Thailand on tourist visas, or visas exempt stamps, should have a read of this thread, in order to prepare for the worse case scenario. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:42 AM, rott said:

1) Try border.

2) I once entered at Sri Racha (could have been Laem Chabang) on a cargo ship, no problem but that was about 15 years ago long before all the current nonsense.

I will initially try to fly in a few times, but will be monitoring this forum for information about people being denied entry. 

After that, I'll mix it up a little with some land boarders and maybe even the boat over. 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, lamyai3 said:

Worst case scenario in this case would be denied entry and returned to Vietnam, from where you'll have departed. If you were living in Vietnam with a multiple entry visa there should be no problem being allowed back in there. This also ought to reduce the risks of being rejected at this end too. If you run up against a limit on the number of tourist visas you can get from Vietnam, either Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia are alternatives, all with land border entry points. 

Vietnam is very visa friendly.

Vietnam basically has a "pay as you go" visa system.  No other hoops to jump through.  Pay your money, get your visa.  That's it. 

I think what I will have in my favor is a 1 year multi entry Vietnam visa, so if Thai immigration question me, I will say I live in Vietnam, which will be true, but holiday a lot in Thailand.  If they deny me entry, it will not be a big problem for me, just a short flight back to Vietnam.

Once again, there is that line in the sand that nobody knows where it is about when is a "tourist" deemed not to be a tourist, but living in Thailand. 

On 3/18/2019 at 1:08 PM, PoorSucker said:

They will be transferred to IDC in Bangkok. 

They will be detained until they can pay for the overstay and have tickets home. 

No time limit. 

IDC is a hellhole. 

2147007628_images(1).jpeg.0245fc1228644502af132ec5e74f5b8a.jpeg

Would there be any circumstances in which you could be transferred from airport detention to IDC?  

8 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Would there be any circumstances in which you could be transferred from airport detention to IDC?  

I don't see how, since it is ultimately the airlines problem to pay your airport-detention fees plus ticket your flight-back.  I suppose if you broke a law (drug-possession, violence, etc), you could end up in jail first, then IDC.  But for a rejected-entry alone, you haven't broken any laws, so that would not occur.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I don't see how, since it is ultimately the airlines problem to pay your airport-detention fees plus ticket your flight-back.  I suppose if you broke a law (drug-possession, violence, etc), you could end up in jail first, then IDC.  But for a rejected-entry alone, you haven't broken any laws, so that would not occur.

Well, what you say is also my understanding of it, but I thought I would ask anyway.

One thing I don't completely understand is the exposure of the airlines. 

There is a theory that it's the airlines responsibility to take you back to where you came from, yet, you obviously have to pay a premium price for the next fight out.  This is why I will try to enter in the morning, so in case I am denied entry, I can get an afternoon or evening flight back, and not stay in detention over night.

Anyway, back to the airlines.  So, I can see how they can make some money out of detainees, selling them expensive last minute flights, but at some point this could become problematic for the airlines, and what are they to do? 

A passenger checks in with a passport that is visa exempt for Thailand, so the check in staff process the passenger, and they board and fly, only to be sent back on the same airline from Thailand after being denied entry.  

Thailand can't use airline check in staff as pseudo immigration staff, so potentially, people fly in from everywhere, on different airlines, and are detained, and the various airlines have to shoulder some responsibility.

How long before airline companies  put a policy in place to minimize their responsibility?

You would have to laugh if a passenger on Thai Airways, Thailand's national airline, was denied entry, and it was Thai Airway's responsibility to take that passenger back to the country they transported them from. So, even Thailand's national carrier is bringing people that to Thailand that can't get in.   

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

One thing I don't completely understand is the exposure of the airlines. 

There is a theory that it's the airlines responsibility to take you back to where you came from, yet, you obviously have to pay a premium price for the next fight out. 

They do.  And, they must even pay your detention-fee.  But the airlines may also have a clause in your ticket-purchase that you are ultimately responsible for those costs.  The question is, how can they get it out of you? 

One report indicated immigration threatened to make him miss the flight he paid for with the airlines if not paying the detention fee.  Another report the fellow refused to pay anyone or sign anything, but was threatened with detention by the airlines on his return (perhaps a deal with local immigration there). 

I suppose if willing to put up with whatever they dole out, you could sit on your hands and refuse to pay anyone anything - then let the airlines try to sue you to get it.

This is why I will try to enter in the morning, so in case I am denied entry, I can get an afternoon or evening flight back, and not stay in detention over night.

This is why I never fly into Thailand any more - it's just too unpredictable - there is no "rule of law" to count on at the bad entry points.

Anyway, back to the airlines.  So, I can see how they can make some money out of detainees, selling them expensive last minute flights, but at some point this could become problematic for the airlines, and what are they to do? 

They are just filling up empty-seats.  If no seat is available, you sit in detention until one is available.

A passenger checks in with a passport that is visa exempt for Thailand, so the check in staff process the passenger, and they board and fly, only to be sent back on the same airline from Thailand after being denied entry.  

Thailand can't use airline check in staff as pseudo immigration staff, so potentially, people fly in from everywhere, on different airlines, and are detained, and the various airlines have to shoulder some responsibility.

How long before airline companies  put a policy in place to minimize their responsibility?

As long as they are able to collect these last-minute prices to fill otherwise-empty seats, I don't see why they would care.  My concern is they could actually be a factor in encouraging this activity.

You would have to laugh if a passenger on Thai Airways, Thailand's national airline, was denied entry, and it was Thai Airway's responsibility to take that passenger back to the country they transported them from. So, even Thailand's national carrier is bringing people that to Thailand that can't get in.  

As absurd as it is, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

They do.  And, they must even pay your detention-fee.  But the airlines may also have a clause in your ticket-purchase that you are ultimately responsible for those costs.  The question is, how can they get it out of you? 

One report indicated immigration threatened to make him miss the flight he paid for with the airlines if not paying the detention fee.  Another report the fellow refused to pay anyone or sign anything, but was threatened with detention by the airlines on his return (perhaps a deal with local immigration there). 

I suppose if willing to put up with whatever they dole out, you could sit on your hands and refuse to pay anyone anything - then let the airlines try to sue you to get it.

This is why I never fly into Thailand any more - it's just too unpredictable - there is no "rule of law" to count on at the bad entry points.

They are just filling up empty-seats.  If no seat is available, you sit in detention until one is available.

As long as they are able to collect these last-minute prices to fill otherwise-empty seats, I don't see why they would care.  My concern is they could actually be a factor in encouraging this activity.

Yes, I also see a conflict of interests with the airlines on this issue.

It will be interesting if detainees start to refuse to pay the inflated last minute flight prices.  I have read here that you can keep possession of your phone, so some calls to the media in your home country may throw a spotlight on the airline. 

I am wondering if the airlines will start to refuse check in / boarding if your passport is full of Thailand visas and exemption stamps. 

• Sad 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, JackThompson said:

If you will never fly to Thailand again, what is your land boarder of choice, and if that land boarder is your choice, it's fair to say it will be the choice of many others, for the same reasons. 

This is why I think something is going to have to "give" in the future.  Certain Consulates and land boarders are just going to be overwhelmed. 

16 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

If you will never fly to Thailand again, what is your land boarder of choice, and if that land boarder is your choice, it's fair to say it will be the choice of many others, for the same reasons. 

This is why I think something is going to have to "give" in the future.  Certain Consulates and land boarders are just going to be overwhelmed. 

At this point, all land-entry points except Poipet/Aranyaprathet stick to the rules, so plenty to choose from.  If on some type of Multiple-Entry Visa, and in need of a border-bounce, all but Poipet are fine.

What narrows the choices are where it is convenient to fly to from afar, then cross by land - at which point you end up with Vientiane and KL/Penang, unless willing to put up with a fairly long bus-ride to get to the Thai border.

The crossing from Vientiane has been a busy crossing for a long time, but they are not reported to exceed the rules - usually not even asking for all the published requirements to enter. 

Pedang Besar and Sadao from Penang are a bit more trouble, but only in that they may ask for some/all of the published requirements.   For those entering with Tourist Visas, they may ask to "see the cash" (20K Baht).  For Visa-Exempt they may require the cash (10K Baht), a flight-out, a hotel-booking, and spending at least one night-out before returning. 

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

At this point, all land-entry points except Poipet/Aranyaprathet stick to the rules, so plenty to choose from.  If on some type of Multiple-Entry Visa, and in need of a border-bounce, all but Poipet are fine.

What narrows the choices are where it is convenient to fly to from afar, then cross by land - at which point you end up with Vientiane and KL/Penang, unless willing to put up with a fairly long bus-ride to get to the Thai border.

The crossing from Vientiane has been a busy crossing for a long time, but they are not reported to exceed the rules - usually not even asking for all the published requirements to enter. 

Pedang Besar and Sadao from Penang are a bit more trouble, but only in that they may ask for some/all of the published requirements.   For those entering with Tourist Visas, they may ask to "see the cash" (20K Baht).  For Visa-Exempt they may require the cash (10K Baht), a flight-out, a hotel-booking, and spending at least one night-out before returning. 

I agree with your assessment. 

I think we will see a "snowball effect" at land boarders over the the next 12 months, as many without 800k or 65k per month move to tourist visas. 

Maybe there will be some competition among the "agents" to make it financially beneficial to use their "services" but the Thai way is to all get together to create a high price, like a monopoly, and force people to pay.

Time will tell, but for sure some consulates and land boarders are going to become very busy in the near future.  Will have to wait and see if this causes another announcement of change to the rules.     

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

One option that is easy to forgot is Maesot. It has become less attractive over the last year or so as airfares to and from Bangkok have greatly increased in price. However, the airport is close to the border, flights to and from Bangkok are frequent, and I consider it the very best border crossing. As long as you have clean US$ bills, the total cost for using this crossing is US$10, and it has been hassle free for over two years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

One option that is easy to forgot is Maesot. It has become less attractive over the last year or so as airfares to and from Bangkok have greatly increased in price. However, the airport is close to the border, flights to and from Bangkok are frequent, and I consider it the very best border crossing. As long as you have clean US$ bills, the total cost for using this crossing is US$10, and it has been hassle free for over two years.

It will be interesting what impact the new visa requirements eventually have on airlines, and certain routes.  

I suspect we will probably see some routes gain in popularity, with airlines increasing frequency, with other routes decreasing in frequency. 

The increase in frequency will be to neighboring countries, so I guess Thailand loses some airport tax out of these visa changes, as people opt to enter by land.   

On 3/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Maybe there will be some competition among the "agents" to make it financially beneficial to use their "services" but the Thai way is to all get together to create a high price, like a monopoly, and force people to pay.

The factor preventing a country-wide monopoly/standardization on the price of corruption-purchased extensions, is each office being its own fiefdom, allowed to invent and enforce it's own separate rules.  The new rules operating on "seasoning" preserved the agent-system (seasoning is ignored for agent-applications).  Without a specified enforcement system, each office can maximize agent-money revenues to suit their market (see Jomtien creating "show your bank-book" mandatory return-visits). 

The variation in agent-prices within an immigration office jurisdiction zone (corruption-market-zone) can depend on whether an agent has a direct-contact (or uses a 2nd agent), and the agent's cut ("lawyers" seem to ask for more).  The variation from one office "zone" to another may vary due to the local-office loot-demand.  The higher levels - in exchange for "overlooking" it all - may offer a consistent price - or they may reward "high volume corruption money" offices with a discounted-rate per agent-application.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Time will tell, but for sure some consulates and land boarders are going to become very busy in the near future.  Will have to wait and see if this causes another announcement of change to the rules.

Eventually, like all addicts, those pocketing the shared agent-money and elite-revenue will exceed their corruption-income with their lifestyle spending, and have to come back for more to keep their expensive homes, cars, and women on the side paid for.  At that point, look for more "secondary documentation" requirements on income, and the "landlord doc hell" done to "married to a Thai" folks spreading increasingly to those on retirement-based extensions.  And, yes, they could begin buying-off more entry-points, to spread their law-breaking practices carried out at those, as is already the case at several airports and the Poipet/Aranya entry point.

The factor preventing a country-wide monopoly/standardization on the price of corruption-purchased extensions, is each office being its own fiefdom, allowed to invent and enforce it's own separate rules.  The new rules operating on "seasoning" preserved the agent-system (seasoning is ignored for agent-applications).  Without a specified enforcement system, each office can maximize agent-money revenues to suit their market (see Jomtien creating "show your bank-book" mandatory return-visits). 

The variation in agent-prices within an immigration office jurisdiction zone (corruption-market-zone) can depend on whether an agent has a direct-contact (or uses a 2nd agent), and the agent's cut ("lawyers" seem to ask for more).  The variation from one office "zone" to another may vary due to the local-office loot-demand.  The higher levels - in exchange for "overlooking" it all - may offer a consistent price - or they may reward "high volume corruption money" offices with a discounted-rate per agent-application.

Eventually, like all addicts, those pocketing the shared agent-money and elite-revenue will exceed their corruption-income with their lifestyle spending, and have to come back for more to keep their expensive homes, cars, and women on the side paid for.  At that point, look for more "secondary documentation" requirements on income, and the "landlord doc hell" done to "married to a Thai" folks spreading increasingly to those on retirement-based extensions.  And, yes, they could begin buying-off more entry-points, to spread their law-breaking practices carried out at those, as is already the case at several airports and the Poipet/Aranya entry point.

I agree with your analysis, JT.  It doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future for many here, and new one coming through. 

It's unfortunate that the greed of some Thai officials impact such a large demographic of the expat community, for their own financial gain. It could back fire, though.  I have decided to leave, but many other may be forced to leave. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 10:17 PM, BritTim said:

Denied entry is totally different from being arrested in country and subsequently deported (whatever the reason for the deportation). There are many good threads on ThaiVisa that describe what happens to people in the immigration detention centre (IDC) and the deportation process.

If you are arrested in country, you are classified as being "deported" which now has some punitive time frames before you are allowed to come back to Thailand.  

If you are denied entry, do you know what this is classified as, and are there any punitive measures for this?

16 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

If you are arrested in country, you are classified as being "deported" which now has some punitive time frames before you are allowed to come back to Thailand.  

If you are denied entry, do you know what this is classified as, and are there any punitive measures for this?

"Denied Entry" is not a crime, and no "cannot come back" rule exists.  The only punitive measure is recording the action in the immigration system and your passport.

As to "Deportation" from the interior, the "cannot come back" requires a ban be imposed, which would not occur in all deportation cases.   Some banning is semi-automatic, based on overstay-time.

• Like 1

"Denied Entry" is not a crime, and no "cannot come back" rule exists.  The only punitive measure is recording the action in the immigration system and your passport.

As to "Deportation" from the interior, the "cannot come back" requires a ban be imposed, which would not occur in all deportation cases.   Some banning is semi-automatic, based on overstay-time.

It's ridiculous there is no time frame given after a failed entry attempt. 

What's stopping someone from repeatedly attempting to enter, via air, land, or sea, day after day? 

2 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

What's stopping someone from repeatedly attempting to enter, via air, land, or sea, day after day? 

Nothing, and if you qualify for entry, you should be admitted. As a practical matter, someone denied entry at, say, Poipet/Aran, is likely to be successful entering Thailand four hours later at Ban Laem.

Why do you feel people should be prevented from trying to enter Thailand for some specified period just because an immigration official (perhaps for dubious reasons) decided to deny entry on a different day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

If there were a valid reason the first time, it might apply the 2nd time.  For example, one can only enter Visa-Exempt by land 2x per calendar year - so one could go from land-entry-point to land-entry-point and get the same result.  

But, in cases where the reason for the first denial-of-entry is not legal/valid, an honest IO at the 2nd attempt location may be unable to justify a refused-entry.  What is really ridiculous, in this situation, is that IOs can deny-entry for invalid reasons, and not be disciplined or fired for doing so.

As well, conditions could change - a person w/o the required pocket-money could return with it 30 minutes later - or a person who has no land-border visa-exempts could return with a Tourist Visa 2 days later.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

Eventually, the good boarders will be overcrowded and will either have huge queues, or purposely tighten up to discourage so many people from using that crossing. 

How many foreigners live here on tourist visas? thousands? even tens of thousands? Do the math - assuming they travel once every couple of months and there's 10,000 of them - that's only 166 people a day, spread over multiple land borders. Hardly huge queues.

Personally I'm going to keep flying in until (if) I ever get denied. If it gets to the point where I have to resort to ridiculous measures like crossing land borders to be able to enter the country then I'll probably just leave.

13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If there were a valid reason the first time, it might apply the 2nd time.

And it might not. He/she may have obtained a flight ticket, or some cash, or a hotel booking. Can't stop everyone trying again, so in effect can't stop anyone trying again. 

Until one gets beaten back from the immigration kiosk by a gang of thugs hitting you about the head with sticks, then I might give up. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

Nothing, and if you qualify for entry, you should be admitted. As a practical matter, someone denied entry at, say, Poipet/Aran, is likely to be successful entering Thailand four hours later at Ban Laem.

Why do you feel people should be prevented from trying to enter Thailand for some specified period just because an immigration official (perhaps for dubious reasons) decided to deny entry on a different day?

I don't feel people should be prevented from trying to enter Thailand at a different board. All the boarders should be the same. 

You are either allowed in at all of them, or refused at all of them, and a stamp in your passport to the effect, "No entry for 30 days" for example. 

At least everyone would know where they stand. 

16 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

How many foreigners live here on tourist visas? thousands? even tens of thousands? Do the math - assuming they travel once every couple of months and there's 10,000 of them - that's only 166 people a day, spread over multiple land borders. Hardly huge queues.

Personally I'm going to keep flying in until (if) I ever get denied. If it gets to the point where I have to resort to ridiculous measures like crossing land borders to be able to enter the country then I'll probably just leave.

If you read the forum, there are "good" boarder crossings and "bad" boarder crossings.

How long before the "thousands" all start flocking to the "good" boarder crossings? 

There's already a 2 week wait for a visa application in the Vientiane Embassy. 

Even using your numbers of 166 per day, IF they were spread out, with a 2 week wait, you would already be 1661th in the queue at that Embassy, with more and more coming off the 65k method every day.   (166 x 10 business day) 

You may have to start seriously looking at your Plan B.