Man, 82, dead after motorbike struck by BMW

rooster59

Man, 82, dead after motorbike struck by BMW

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1552710012_1.jpg

Mr Wichai informed the police that Mr Kian cut in front of him and he was unable to avoid the collision. Photo: Thalang Police

An 82-year-old Thai man riding a motorbike died after he was hit by a car in Thalang yesterday (Mar 15).

Thalang Police were notified of the accident at 4pm.

Capt Ekkasak Koanwan of Thalang Police arrived at the scene, on the road from the Heroines Monument to Pa Khlok (Route 4027), with Srisoonthorn Municipality emergency responders.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-82-dead-after-motorbike-struck-by-bmw-70735.php#LVT6e0QW78P8UPMJ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-16

I suspect the old chap does not have the funds to buy a car and doesn't have the physical capacity to get around by walking. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the BMW was simply driving too fast? If you are driving carefully in a country known for having many people on scooters and bikes, you should be able to avoid most collisions. BMW's have pretty decent rear braking systems, although they can get a bit ropey when you brake in water with low tread on the tires ... says an idiot who wrote one off and nearly killed himself in the process!

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

What has a (82 year old) motorbike rider to do on the right lane?

Wanting to reach an oncoming U-turn or right turn?

Popular behavior to swerve over without taking any care.

Anyone who sees or approach an unstable or elderly person on a motorbike on roads and in their direction should drive careful and responsible and understand that dangerous situations may arise. Btw, that road was until a few years ago a delight to drive but also that is now under further reconstruction to be a Formula 1 track???? Welcome to the tropical road and hospital island.

3 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Anyone who sees or approach an unstable or elderly person on a motorbike on roads and in their direction should drive careful and responsible and understand that dangerous situations may arise. Btw, that road was until a few years ago a delight to drive but also that is now under further reconstruction to be a Formula 1 track???? Welcome to the tropical road and hospital island. 

I do not disagree, just that this is Thailand and expecting careful/responsible driving is utopian.

It's more like survival of the fittest/biggest.

Sad but true.

This country will drown in ever increasing road traffic.

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I suspect the old chap does not have the funds to buy a car and doesn't have the physical capacity to get around by walking. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the BMW was simply driving too fast? If you are driving carefully in a country known for having many people on scooters and bikes, you should be able to avoid most collisions. BMW's have pretty decent rear braking systems, although they can get a bit ropey when you brake in water with low tread on the tires ... says an idiot who wrote one off and nearly killed himself in the process!

Do you drive in Thailand on a regular basis?

Well I do and you are right if you do drive carefully you can avoid most accidents, however the traffic system is crazy, it's easier to avoid accidents when you ride a motorcycle than a car. 

Motorbikes go much faster than cars in heavy traffic. 

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

The most amazing part Is he wasn't run down at 22 and been living on borrowed time ever since RIP???? 

In a strange way I think that you are right...they do seem to live on borrowed time.

I purchased decent helmets for the family but only ol' granny kept hers..

I constantly had to tell my wife to "belt up" even tho' she had driven in Australia and did so everytime whilst driving there.

My stepdaughter does,however,belt up but then strews the dashboard with jolly boinging figures that make it seem that you are playing Candy Crush whilst you while away the hours on the roads of death.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Lots of stories of posh cars killing people on m/cs recently.

I'm guessing the BMW driver was going too fast.

Poor old chap, hope it was quick.

Rather more stories of pickups and non posh cars killing people though. All boils down to the driving techniques IMHO.

8 hours ago, Power of life yoga said:

Well I do and you are right if you do drive carefully you can avoid most accidents, however the traffic system is crazy, it's easier to avoid accidents when you ride a motorcycle than a car. 

Motorbikes go much faster than cars in heavy traffic

Motorbikes go much faster than cars in heavy traffic.... 

just one guy in my Village in his 80's goes out every day, his great grand kids will trot along side until the main road, even on the main road, he speeds along around 15 KPH, wobbling all over the place, another one has a very old Honda 49 cc, guess the Max speed is 20 KPH if he drove flat out.. Both Never wear helmet in the past 15 years of my living here....

Trying to remember can't say ever seen any of the old folk male or female wear a helmet around here.

Not a lot of chance at that age even being hit at a low speed

I see from the main article via the link, that the motorcy rider was found 80m behind the stopped BMW. To me, 80m seems a long braking distance following a major incident and may be an indication of the speed?

2 hours ago, PMZ said:

I see from the main article via the link, that the motorcy rider was found 80m behind the stopped BMW. To me, 80m seems a long braking distance following a major incident and may be an indication of the speed?

Thought about doing a runner, but changed his mind?

3 hours ago, PMZ said:

Stopping distances

80m is between 60 and 70 mph. Judging from the photo, the BMW was in the right hand lane and the motorbike was in front. Car driver could be telling the truth. 

22 hours ago, Power of life yoga said:

Motorbikes go much faster than cars in heavy traffic. 

I drive when I am in Thailand, but I'm also experienced driving in places like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, where people are doing crazy things at high speed. Once outside of Jeddah a 4x4 truck pulled along side me trying to get me to let them in front, I looked up and it was being driven by a 10 year old (he might have been younger). I know drive with the attitude that everyone on the road is crazy and will do something dangerous at any moment ... you can still have an accident but the risk is much reduced.

44 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Wonder if that model beemer comes with a dash cam as a standard item?

Dash cams are illegal some countries such as Austria and Portugal and in other countries such as France and Belgium Dash-Cams have strict restrictions (for private use only - illegal to post footage on social media).

Thus: I don't think any EU cars have Dash-Cams as standard, however, I know BMW in Thailand offers a BMW Model Dash-Cam as an extra and will install it.

Recently there was footage of 'a deadly U-Turn' doing the rounds, one where a motorcycle cut across from the left side of the road across a 3 lane highway to do a U-Turn causing a pickup to crash when avoiding him, other footage showed another motorcycle getting hit by a delivery truck as it turned straight across traffic.

I'm not suggesting this is the case here, but its not unusual to see Motorcycles make the most astoundingly dangerous maneuvers without so much as a glance for through traffic. 

That this is involves a BMW is irrelevant unless the the intent of the article is to generate some negative bias against the perceived wealthier BMW driver as if to proportion blame. Of course, this is the case in many situations that an 'above the law' wealthier person drives with total disregard and is solely to blame for someones death, but equally so there are scores of accidents where every member of Thailands driving demographic drives without regard for anyone else resulting in someones death. 

On 3/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, michael walker said:

it appears the motor bike was driving to Thai standards, as they all do this habit !

A farang told me last year that he drives his big bike like a bat out of hell because that's the way the Thai bikes roll and its safer that way. 

Haven't seen him around in a while. 

Maybe he 'safed' himself into the grave. 

I have learned to follow my Thai GF's approach. Drive slow, stay left, and proceed with extreme caution. It's takes us a bit longer to get somewhere but I can LIVE  with that. 

Archived