Pattaya: Thou shalt not drink! Election booze ban in force today as cops threaten jail

rooster59

Pattaya: Thou shalt not drink! Election booze ban in force today as cops threaten jail

1552641912523-1-300x200.jpg

Image: The Pattaya News

Police in Pattaya were out on the streets of the resort yesterday warning people that there will be an election alcohol ban this weekend and next.

The Pattaya News published a picture of a smiling Lt-Col Korn Somkhane, a deputy in Pattaya standing in for the police chief. He said he was determined to enforce the ban that is to be observed nationwide. 

No selling of alcohol will be allowed from 6 pm today until 6 pm tomorrow as Sunday is the pre-voting day when polling stations are open for people unable to vote in their home provinces. 

Next weekend will be the same - a ban is in place for 6pm to 6pm 23rd to 24th March. 

The 24th of March is election day. 

Violators face 10,000 baht fines and six months in jail if caught selling alcohol. 

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-186

1552641903441-696x392.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered why is the booze ban is all about? does the one who want to drink will not go and get a drink in many of the place that don't really care for the ban? would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

When I lived in Dubai, non Muslims could get a certificate stating such, so you could buy alchohol from 2 or 3 of the cities liquor stores. Given foreigners can't vote and most tourists are foreigners, the idea of not being able to create an exemption, in a super tourist dependent economy, just doesn't make any sense.

And before anyone asks, Yes, I am aware of where I am, and No, I probably shouldn't be looking for common sense should I?

57 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The Pattaya News published a picture of a smiling Lt-Col Korn Somkhane

korn%20sm_zpscbl3ufza.png

If this date were to be our last, I'd never sit down this glass
It'd take all the booze in the world to forget you
You've left my heart a vacant lot, I'll fill it with another shot
And yes I guess they oughta name a drink after you

( John Prine )

Here's the reason why the cop is smiling: he narrowly escaped to be named Bloody Mary

OMG. What am I gonna do? Hmmm...well I can start drinking now and do doubles to 5:45pm and then run to 7-11 lay in a supply to last me 24 hours...no, better get twice the amount in case they extend the ban

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

When I lived in Dubai, non Muslims could get a certificate stating such, so you could buy alchohol from 2 or 3 of the cities liquor stores. Given foreigners can't vote and most tourists are foreigners, the idea of not being able to create an exemption, in a super tourist dependent economy, just doesn't make any sense.

And before anyone asks, Yes, I am aware of where I am, and No, I probably shouldn't be looking for common sense should I?

In many pubs you'll see half empty prepaid bottles on the shelves with a label showing the name of the customer on it. I wonder what happens if they consume a drink of the bottle which was not sold on the day of the ban to sell alcohol? 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I always wondered why is the booze ban is all about? does the one who want to drink will not go and get a drink in many of the place that don't really care for the ban? would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

In the US they can't sell alcohol on voting day while the polls are open usually between 7 am and 7 PM

Guys, at the end it shows the big THAI problem with most everything.

They not want drunken thais vote wrong. But whatever they vote for will be anyway wrong...and to go to vote is a MUST in this country

Ridiculous. This stupid prohibition is costing us the best part of four days income out of nine days. We are an expat pool bar. Most of our customers are expats or tourists who cannot vote anyway. I can guarantee 100% that if I walk around the corner this evening my local mom and pop shop will be selling drink. 

The headline for the BiB should read..."Oh Look !!!! Here is something I can do to make myself look important" I can preen down the main street declaring the importance of enforcing the law. 

Drunk driving, speeding, disobeying traffic laws, no road discipline, no helmets, no license, No Plomlem...... 

There, I feel better now, thank you, rant over......

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Mrs has just bought me a case of my favourite tipple, so a few in the bar this arvo with a bite to eat then home to watch loads on my tv box ????

exactly.  Why are so many farangs upset about this, or even put out at all.  I'm just drinking the days first Brandy sour at home, by my pool, made by my own fair hand. It's Thailand, it happens a lot, Buddha Day, Kings Birthday, etc etc. Just plan for it accordingly.  

17 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Ridiculous. This stupid prohibition is costing us the best part of four days income out of nine days. We are an expat pool bar. Most of our customers are expats or tourists who cannot vote anyway. I can guarantee 100% that if I walk around the corner this evening my local mom and pop shop will be selling drink. 

The headline for the BiB should read..."Oh Look !!!! Here is something I can do to make myself look important" I can preen down the main street declaring the importance of enforcing the law. 

Drunk driving, speeding, disobeying traffic laws, no road discipline, no helmets, no license, No Plomlem...... 

There, I feel better now, thank you, rant over......

well you should know the form then and plan for it and not get upset about it. 

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

well you should know the form then and plan for it and not get upset about it. 

LOL, I know the form Pilotman, I always have a few drinks in the fridge at home. My point is that this ridiculous ban is costing bars revenue for no other reason than to enforce a law that is not practical. I welcome any suggestion however,  as to how we should plan for it in order to mitigate losses, as we still have rent, salaries, (bribes ),, etc to pay. Or are you suggesting selling drinks in coffee cups for a 10,000 Baht fine........:whistling:

2 hours ago, johng said:

Ridiculous !!!!

Exactly.
And thats why I cancelled my trip to Pattaya the moment I learned that those fake fair elections have been postponed.
Don't wanna spend two weekends in a ghosttown.
Stocking up the fridge is no solution, since I don't want to sit two weekends in my room just watching TV. Vacation time is way too expensive for this.

But okay. That cancellation did save me lots of money and precious vacation days.

Archived