Pattaya: Thou shalt not drink! Election booze ban in force today as cops threaten jail

rooster59

11 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

LOL, I know the form Pilotman, I always have a few drinks in the fridge at home. My point is that this ridiculous ban is costing bars revenue for no other reason than to enforce a law that is not practical. I welcome any suggestion however,  as to how we should plan for it in order to mitigate losses, as we still have rent, salaries, (bribes ),, etc to pay. Or are you suggesting selling drinks in coffee cups for a 10,000 Baht fine........:whistling:

How about staging a 'special entertainment evening', maybe singing, dancing, some live show.  It doesn't need alcohol for that? Sorry, Im not a bar owner, so I don't know how this may work, you are clearly in the best position to judge .  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How about staging a 'special entertainment evening', maybe singing, dancing, some live show.  It doesn't need alcohol for that? Sorry, Im not a bar owner, so I don't know how this may work, you are clearly in the best position to judge .  

I hear what you are saying, and is a good point, unfortunately, we do not have license for live music, and we are not big enough to host one anyway. On another note, I hope it is ok by your pool. I went out earlier with a nice chilled glass of chardonnay to make the most of our enforced holiday, and.............yep...............it bloody rained............first time in months in Hua hin !!!!!

Someone up there doesn't like me !!!!! :cheesy:  At least I still have the England Rugby game tonight...........unless there is a power cut at 5 to midnight..........:tongue:.......Have a good one mate...........:smile:

Just now, AhFarangJa said:

I hear what you are saying, and is a good point, unfortunately, we do not have license for live music, and we are not big enough to host one anyway. On another note, I hope it is ok by your pool. I went out earlier with a nice chilled glass of chardonnay to make the most of our enforced holiday, and.............yep...............it bloody rained............first time in months in Hua hin !!!!!

Someone up there doesn't like me !!!!! :cheesy:  At least I still have the England Rugby game tonight...........unless there is a power cut at 5 to midnight..........:tongue:.......Have a good one mate...........:smile:

You too. First rain of the season and the mossies are like bloody Lancaster's around here, so not that good around the pool. In it is fine. 

Fred White...Stop stating things that are not true about the "USA." You make the USA look stupid! While we do some pretty stupid things there like elect Trump, what you wrote about polling bans is incorrect mostly. It's smart to get your facts straight before going off and writing comments like you did here. In 2014 the last state of South Carolina reversed the last ban on alcohol sales in the USA by any state for polling days. Maybe you have been out of the USA with your head stuck in the sand since then, but it's been a very long time since "the USA" banned alcohol sales on any day. Get your facts straight.

You can watch the grand Slam match (Wales v Ireland) at home on TV tonight whilst you destock your fridge followed by drowning your sorrows when sadly Scotland get beaten by England. Those of you who are not Rugby enthusiasts I don't know what you do

Incidentally once I was stuck in a dry state in India but my hotel very kindly arranged for me to be registered as an alcoholic with the local police which was the only way you were allowed to use the hotel bar. Pattaya Police please note. It could be a nice little earner

Can you imagine going to that world class resort ???????? for the first time on a months vacation during this month, would you ever bother again. The lunatics are running the asylum again no wonder the place is deserted 

2 minutes ago, Caine said:

Can you imagine going to that world class resort ???????? for the first time on a months vacation during this month, would you ever bother again. The lunatics are running the asylum again no wonder the place is deserted 

have you been to an Arab country lately?  

3 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

This is a case where foreigners should be able to show their passport and buy alcohol being as they can’t vote.

One of the most sensible suggestions I have seen, tbh how many Thais do you ever see in the Bars in Pattaya apart from the Staff ?

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I sometimes wonder why people bother coming to Thailand when there are plenty of cheaper and friendlier places in SE Asia these days.

they arent as smart, perceptive or knowledgeable as you?

43 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

hose of you who are not Rugby enthusiasts I don't know what you do

Ive been thinking of suicide by boredom, but I cant watch rugby long enough to die

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Ridiculous. This stupid prohibition is costing us the best part of four days income out of nine days. We are an expat pool bar. Most of our customers are expats or tourists who cannot vote anyway. I can guarantee 100% that if I walk around the corner this evening my local mom and pop shop will be selling drink. 

The headline for the BiB should read..."Oh Look !!!! Here is something I can do to make myself look important" I can preen down the main street declaring the importance of enforcing the law. 

Drunk driving, speeding, disobeying traffic laws, no road discipline, no helmets, no license, No Plomlem...... 

There, I feel better now, thank you, rant over......

You make good points reference the enforcement of traffic laws by the non-existant mobile, traffic patrols. The publicity driven mentality and photo ops addicted public officials are pathetic.

A ban especially here is just to show they have control over the problem which we know they don't!  I don't drink alcohol but I just can't understand why myself since the results are already known why not just let people celebrate ahead while the voting is going on.????????????

Well, I thought to be clever and take the dog out a bit early. I run literally around the whole f....g town up here in the north, 90% of the places did not even bother to open.

A question to all you armchair lawyers anyway. The title says "you cannot buy alcohol after 6pm" is that the typical pisspoor translation, or does it actually mean you can consume Pre-paid booze, just wondering as a friend who owns a restaurant did borrow money from me this afternoon, might be used for "pre-paid" beer ????????

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

This stupid prohibition is costing us the best part of four days income out of nine days. .  

There, I feel better now, thank you, rant over......

"6 pm today until 6 pm tomorrow"  that is one day and one night - times 2 is 2 days and 2 nights in 9 days.  So you were half right - LOL . People will be drinking at bars tomorrow night at 6pm, you can count on that.  

Stocked up at 2pm ... chilling and getting my first can cracked at 18.01 ... Watch the telly with a clatter more ... Good sleep ... Watch F1 Aussie at 12 ... Few extra tinnier then down at 6pm to Delaney’s Bar for Paddy’s Day Celebrations ... This ban is all about time management “;0)

11 minutes ago, Kru Baa said:

This is a country run by children. They never really mature past the age of 13 in their whole lives. I'm sure according to whatever cartoon that is playing in their heads, it seems like a perfectly good idea.

It’s an easy way for them appear to be working albeit in a manner that makes no logical sense whatsoever. 

Makes them feel like they are in charge.

16 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

Well, I thought to be clever and take the dog out a bit early. I run literally around the whole f....g town up here in the north, 90% of the places did not even bother to open.

A question to all you armchair lawyers anyway. The title says "you cannot buy alcohol after 6pm" is that the typical pisspoor translation, or does it actually mean you can consume Pre-paid booze, just wondering as a friend who owns a restaurant did borrow money from me this afternoon, might be used for "pre-paid" beer ????????

If they want to impose an alcohol ban it should include anyone caught drinking alcohol not sales off alcohol !

18 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Although this on it's own is not really such an important issue, the fact that big brother Prayut deems it necessary to issue this sort of condescending measures says volumes about the stupidity of the dictator.

To all fairness, this idiocy goes on for ages not a invention from him, doubt he's that smart. However none of the clowns had yet the balls to scrap this or any of the other 3 billion idiotic laws so far.

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If they want to impose an alcohol ban it should include anyone caught drinking alcohol not sales off alcohol !

Correct, my question was 'bout IS not Shall, after all this is Thailand. Don't expect here too much what does sense. ????

Archived