Pattaya: Thou shalt not drink! Election booze ban in force today as cops threaten jail

rooster59

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, KPG59 said:
19 hours ago, Fred white said:

In the US they can't sell alcohol on voting day while the polls are open usually between 7 am and 7 PM

Rubbish. Google it...

I lived in Alaska many years - no sales, no bars open on voting day (until the polls closed). Also no alcohol sales on Sundays,  though you could buy alcohol in a bar on Sunday if you bought food also.  Maybe it has changed

15 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Why? 

You can't survive without hourly intake of booze??

Stupid comment but sorry i not drink alcohol my comment was about how ridiculous this ban are it will only hurt tourists industry and not Thai people and the ban are for them because of election 

7 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Stupid comment but sorry i not drink alcohol my comment was about how ridiculous this ban are it will only hurt tourists industry and not Thai people and the ban are for them because of election 

Very lame excuse ????????????

20 hours ago, Skallywag said:

"6 pm today until 6 pm tomorrow"  that is one day and one night - times 2 is 2 days and 2 nights in 9 days.  So you were half right - LOL . People will be drinking at bars tomorrow night at 6pm, you can count on that.  

Interestingly a shop (local drinking establishment) on  promenade here in PKK was selling beer way after 6pm to tourists yesterday.who were sitting outside drinking it

Shock horror!

Although this on it's own is not really such an important issue, the fact that big brother Prayut deems it necessary to issue this sort of condescending measures says volumes about the stupidity of the dictator.

Do you believe this alcohol ban during elections is something only since Prayut has been in power?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

We are smart enough to stock up. You forgot eh?

For the last 9 years the Irish community in Pattaya have built up the St Patricks day celebrations into a fairly well known event.

There will be a lot of P'd Irish in Pattaya today, without any alcohol.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

For the last 9 years the Irish community in Pattaya have built up the St Patricks day celebrations into a fairly well known event.

There will be a lot of P'd Irish in Pattaya today, without any alcohol.

If you would be Irish you would know how leprechauns handle this "problem"

On 3/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Fred white said:

In the US they can't sell alcohol on voting day while the polls are open usually between 7 am and 7 PM

This is false information. I watched the last election in my local pub with friends after voting as I have every year since I was old enough to legally drink. Also noticed I must be hanging around with my Aussie friends too much as now my local bar has become my local pub ????

On 3/16/2019 at 7:15 AM, ezzra said:

I always wondered why is the booze ban is all about? does the one who want to drink will not go and get a drink in many of the place that don't really care for the ban? would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

Tell them to go vote on sunday morning then there would be no reason to have this ban on alcohol sales. 
But drunk Thai tend NOT to go vote at all and just get plastered instead with all consequences.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:17 PM, Internatltraveler said:

Fred White...Stop stating things that are not true about the "USA." You make the USA look stupid! While we do some pretty stupid things there like elect Trump, what you wrote about polling bans is incorrect mostly. It's smart to get your facts straight before going off and writing comments like you did here. In 2014 the last state of South Carolina reversed the last ban on alcohol sales in the USA by any state for polling days. Maybe you have been out of the USA with your head stuck in the sand since then, but it's been a very long time since "the USA" banned alcohol sales on any day. Get your facts straight.

And then i said to myself "Are the Yanks that bloody stupid, didn't they learn enough the last time they tried prohibition"

On 3/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Nothing to do about farang people being alcoholics, it’s the Thai governments perception that some how Thai people will be influenced to who they vote for if they consume alcohol prior too voting.

Being from the U.K. where the Polling Stations open early till late people are not influenced by who they vote for depending on how much alcohol they have consumed.

Business through out Thailand who service the Tourist industry are effected by the ban including the Staff who will receive no salary during the ban.

I found that not many bother to vote in the UK. They would rather go to the pub and whinge about who gets in again.

Lovely 5 star hotel darling ! Let's go out for dinner and a bottle of wine or two like we do in Europe. WHAT!  the refuse to sell us wine. That's it, not coming here again.

Another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism (almost full of nails). The condo bubble will burst. Thai GDP will fall. All because Sam and Betty couldn’t have a bottle of wine on this night.

Bring a bottle and pay 20bts for it to be opened, feel free to bring more, our fridge is your command!

This will do wonders for the Thai economy and just remember who is a T-totaller, has a battle bus and lives in Bangers.

Archived