Deal for Facebook to broadcast English Premier League football in Thailand collapses

rooster59

Deal for Facebook to broadcast English Premier League football in Thailand collapses

Premier-League-thumb-635x336.png

A deal that would allow Facebook to broadcast English Premier League football in Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries has collapsed.

In July last year, it was announced that Facebook had secured the rights to broadcast English Premier League Football in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam from the start of the 2019/20 season, which will kick off in August this year.

It was reported previously that Facebook had beaten local rivals such as True and BeIn Sports by paying UK£200 million to secure the deal that would have given the social media firm exclusive rights until the end of the 2021/2022 campaign.

However, according to SportsBusiness the deal was never finalised.

The site reports that “the league entered a ‘standstill agreement’ with Facebook, in which the platform, as the highest bidder, had an exclusive period of negotiation”.

“But after eight months of talks between lawyers for the two sides, there were a number of issues that could not be agreed upon and that the parties decided could not be overcome by further negotiation”.

The broadcast rights have now gone back on the market, with time now limited before the new season starts.

It remains unclear how this will affect English Premier League football fans based in Thailand.

It mean that local broadcasters return to secure the rights or Facebook themselves, return with a deal and continue with their plant to stream Premier League coverage on its social network.

The news comes after football fans in Thailand were left disappointed after broadcasters failed to secure rights to Champions League football coverage, meaning that fans based in Thailand were unable to watch live coverage of Europe’s top club competition.

A deal was later reached to broadcast some matches on Twitter @goal.com which allowed some fans to watch matches.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-16

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

That's very good news,don't want anything to do with Facebook at all,

neither do I want True to succeed in the bid, Bein did an ok job,with

a fair price.

regards worgeordie

Yea, wouldn't be so bad if it carried on as it is now. It's a decent price if you just want the 4 Bein channels with some low end True package.

Agree ref Facebook. 

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How much is that?

From what I recall the 'super soccer' package is 299baht a month or 199baht a month if you are a truemove customer. You can't order it alone, as said, have to have some kind of package with them..i think there cheapest one is around 600 baht so approx maybe somewhere around 800 a month.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

That's very good news,don't want anything to do with Facebook at all,

neither do I want True to succeed in the bid, Bein did an ok job,with

a fair price.

regards worgeordie

Yep, good news that I shouldn't need to reactivate my FB account solely in order to watch EPL games from August. ????

Not sure that I agree with you about Bein, though. Their EPL coverage is fine for those who are fluent in Thai, but not for those who, like myself, are not. I personally have really missed the IMG PLTV channel these past 3 years.

We have a True wireless package (somewhere around 500/month I think. Wife not here right now & she knows) that includes True TV & Bein sports. Was great til a month or so ago when some genius (?) decided to eliminate option of original language (English commentary). I did learn some of my first Thai in old days watching, FWIW. Wing! Ying! Lam na!

5 minutes ago, Emdog said:

We have a True wireless package that includes True TV & Bein sports. Was great til a month or so ago when some genius (?) decided to eliminate option of original language (English commentary)

I also have a True internet deal that includes a free TV package with one of the beIN Sports channels and I pay 199 Baht a month to get the other 5. They all still have the dual language option available up till now. 

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not sure that I agree with you about Bein, though. Their EPL coverage is fine for those who are fluent in Thai, but not for those who, like myself, are not.

beIN Sports has dual language commentary available if you're using either the TrueVisions TV box or the TrueID TV app. The beIN Sports Connect app used to have dual language commentary when I used it about a year ago, I'm not sure about now as I don't use it any more.

27 minutes ago, Emdog said:

We have a True wireless package (somewhere around 500/month I think. Wife not here right now & she knows) that includes True TV & Bein sports. Was great til a month or so ago when some genius (?) decided to eliminate option of original language (English commentary). I did learn some of my first Thai in old days watching, FWIW. Wing! Ying! Lam na!

Yes, the "Genius" will activate the option soon again, but only in a "Stupid Farang" (SF) package for the double price!

"Adjustment" to Retirement Visas! 

They just help you, to spend your 65000.- Baht for something????

I have the basic Family package which costs B299/month & I pay an extra B299 for the Bein channels + B99 for the ability to record totalling B697. Good picture quality & English commentary so I’ve been happy with it. I found out later that Bein have their own website where you can pay B1,600 for a year (B133/month) & you get all the live games along with a catchup service for 14 days. Never tried it so not sure about picture quality, English language commentary, etc. You can pay B69 for 2 days so I might give it a go this weekend.

Well, for the current season, I paid 1,499 bt for all the EPL games on beIn.    The match commentaries are in English, although the pre-match, h/t & post match commentaries are in Thai.    I watch this on my laptop.    I do not have ANY business with True directly and I consider this an excellent deal.

3 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

Yea, wouldn't be so bad if it carried on as it is now. It's a decent price if you just want the 4 Bein channels with some low end True package.

Agree ref Facebook. 

Especialy decent price if you have a phone with them too. I certainly like Bein's presentation.

17 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

From what I recall the 'super soccer' package is 299baht a month or 199baht a month if you are a truemove customer. You can't order it alone, as said, have to have some kind of package with them..i think there cheapest one is around 600 baht so approx maybe somewhere around 800 a month.

It is 299 a month.

That is what I pay for the BeIn sport package ontop of my True package.

You also get the Spanish and Italian league's live as well. 

On 3/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, Emdog said:

On 3/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, Maitdjai said:

Yes, the "Genius" will activate the option soon again, but only in a "Stupid Farang" (SF) package for the double price!

"Adjustment" to Retirement Visas! 

They just help you, to spend your 65000.- Baht for something????

But maybe said "genius" has come to the conclusion that there'll be so few of us left in LOS after the new financial requirements for annual extensions have begun to bite that it won't be worthwhile offering the English language option any longer!

On 3/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, Jiggo said:

Bring back CTH buy one year, get two free.....

Agreed, and they also had numerous repeats of every game throughout the week. With BeiN, particularly this past year you would have been lucky to catch a game that you missed and wanted to see at all. Required an almost daily scrutiny of the on-screen schedule and even then you might have to wait 4 or 5 days.

the main gripe with True's coverage for me has been that there was no Champions league and no Europa League for this season. I received no advance warning of this and no reduction in price. Instead I got the withdrawal of a 1,000 baht discount on my other packages (Platinum for the family home lounge, Family for the main bedroom for my wife/daughter and some other cheap package for our irregularly visited Bangkok condo). That little lot + Prem @ 199 baht now costs me over 3,500 baht in total!

They are cynical b's at True and I'll be getting rid of them once the season ends or as soon as next year's coverage by whoever takes over the franchise is made public, whichever comes last.

5 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Agreed, and they also had numerous repeats of every game throughout the week. With BeiN, particularly this past year you would have been lucky to catch a game that you missed and wanted to see at all. Required an almost daily scrutiny of the on-screen schedule and even then you might have to wait 4 or 5 days.

the main gripe with True's coverage for me has been that there was no Champions league and no Europa League for this season. I received no advance warning of this and no reduction in price. Instead I got the withdrawal of a 1,000 baht discount on my other packages (Platinum for the family home lounge, Family for the main bedroom for my wife/daughter and some other cheap package for our irregularly visited Bangkok condo). That little lot + Prem @ 199 baht now costs me over 3,500 baht in total!

They are cynical b's at True and I'll be getting rid of them once the season ends or as soon as next year's coverage by whoever takes over the franchise is made public, whichever comes last.

Android Internet box is the answer every PL CL game on BeiN, Sky, BT,  BBC, ITV etc.....just need a good Internet connection, comes with a 2 week catch up, 4200 for 3 months, if you can find one in your area.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bein Sports done a deal for FA Cup for next 5 years in Thailand. I would like to think that they are confident that EPL will follow, but the silence on this is deafening and I doubt we will hear a thing until July at the earliest. Always the possibility that Fox will jump in and that will send our subs skyrocketing!!!! 

Previous FA Cup deal included England qualifiers, which will help, as none of the euro nations league was covered here!

On 4/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, bangkok blue said:

Bein Sports done a deal for FA Cup for next 5 years in Thailand. I would like to think that they are confident that EPL will follow, but the silence on this is deafening and I doubt we will hear a thing until July at the earliest. Always the possibility that Fox will jump in and that will send our subs skyrocketing!!!! 

Previous FA Cup deal included England qualifiers, which will help, as none of the euro nations league was covered here!

Good news that Blue, but I'm wondering if it would be worth Bein having the FA cup shown in Thailand if they no longer have the PL? For a start many will cancel True if they don't.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:58 AM, Essex Reject said:

Good news that Blue, but I'm wondering if it would be worth Bein having the FA cup shown in Thailand if they no longer have the PL? For a start many will cancel True if they don't.

Yes, that's my thinking.

I have True platinum but not having CL/EL coverage as with previous years and the current PL uncertainty is making me consider what to do. My sub payment is overdue and expecting to lose the signal anytime. But hopefully it lasts until next week. If so, and the signal does go off after that, I will definitely be looking at other options. True is just not value for money and cant see their current football content justifying another chunk of dosh.

21 hours ago, dabhand said:

Yes, that's my thinking.

I have True platinum but not having CL/EL coverage as with previous years and the current PL uncertainty is making me consider what to do. My sub payment is overdue and expecting to lose the signal anytime. But hopefully it lasts until next week. If so, and the signal does go off after that, I will definitely be looking at other options. True is just not value for money and cant see their current football content justifying another chunk of dosh.

My exact thoughts too. It really pi*ssed me off when they lost the CL..and of course did not reduce the pricing, the same when they lost all the HBO channels a few years back. It grates me everytime I pay the bill and like you seriously considering my options now but will wait first to see who gets the PL, although I suspect it could well be Bein again.

As for getting cut off, I've not paid my bill before and by memory it was around 3 -4 weeks after the due date when I was cut off.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Did you think it would be free ????

Nope, I was expecting to have to both revive my FB account and pay through the nose for the privilege of watching EPL games to boot (!!)

Archived