Potential Issues when Re-entering Thailand?

Hi there, I am recently reading lots of topics, especially over various Facebook groups of Foreigners being refused to enter Thailand by immigration even if they are in possession of a valid visa (can't really vouch on the credibility of these stories, but there are quite a few around recently). 

I am living in Bangkok for over 12 years, having a NON-0 type visa (based on my Children, not marriage) for over 8 years. I am currently without any work-permit (gonna establish a new-company company, incl. WP in a couple of months), however, I am not working as I have some good savings. I am planning to go on a holiday to Japan with my Wife and Daughter this Songkran, so I am just wondering if I will face any potential problems when re-entering Thailand? I am aware that I will need to make the re-entry stamp at the Airport when leaving, and that I probably need to have 20k Cash with me, which isn't an issue, however, after reading several of these stories online I am starting to get a bit skeptical. The last thing I want is to being detained or not allowed to enter/blacklisted and away from my family!

I am not sure if this information helps, however, I have a brand new passport, obtained in December where I have the transfer of my visa type (I did it at Chaengwhattana Immigration) as well as my new yearly extension valid until February 2020. 

Some expert advice and insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edited by wallywoop

You have a valid permission of stay and reentry permit. Your situation is different from the few reports being refused entry at bkk airports with visa exempt or tourist visa. You have no problem

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2

if you have your non o visa extension valid till next year all you need is your re entry permit, I get mine done at the local immigration centre, the 20,000 baht is meant for tourists/short term stayers not those living here, I have never had to produce it on re entry but have my bank accounts here anyway with more than enough in them.

• Like 1

I too would like to hear of anyone on a Non O or a Non OA being asked for 20k in pocket and then refused entry. I am identical to you and your situation for status, travel a lot (last year) and will be going to Vietnam in a month or so.

There is no rule we with NON O or NON OA especially on extensions need to show the money. I'm over 50, so maybe they could be selective for younger guys, but seems odd.

• Like 2

OP, seajae mentioned reentry permit at local imm. I notice your imm office CW. Might be easier to obtain reentry permit at airport. Very easy simple process.

Side note...you mention your holiday in Japan. Have your return flight handy for airline. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

There is no rule we with NON O or NON OA especially on extensions need to show the money. I'm over 50, so maybe they could be selective for younger guys, but seems odd.

I think all visa types are required to have 20K. But they only ask for Tourist visas when they intend to reject entry. It is better to have 20K. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

No requirement for O or OA especially on extensions for long stay. Showed Money upon application already and have steady place to live.

But yes, with the worry of the temperamental officials, it would be wise to carry 20k, even though I will not do it. 

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Anyone on any type of Visa (not "extension") can be required to show the money or be denied entry.  In practice, the only report of this I recall for someone with a "Non-O Visa" is one case entering by land from Malaysia (Sadao).  Fortunately, his Thai-Wife was with, and able to run to an ATM in Thailand to fetch the 20K Baht for him, and 20K each for his elderly parents who were visiting (they had Tourist Visas).

Personally, as one with a Non-O-ME Visa, I carry the cash (mostly in travelers checks) - just because you never know if some jerk who hates Farangs will be assigned to some entry-point desk.

In your case, there would be no reason to worry.

Most arrivals who are hassled are arriving visa exempt. A few have tourist visas, but the officials think they spend too much time in Thailand. A few with Non Ed visas (or education extensions) have been known to be challenged on whether they are genuine students. There have been isolated cases of Non O visa holders having problems, based on suspicion of non genuine marriages. That would not apply to you entering with your wife and child.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Anyone on any type of Visa (not "extension") can be required to show the money or be denied entry.  In practice, the only report of this I recall for someone with a "Non-O Visa" is one case entering by land from Malaysia (Sadao).  Fortunately, his Thai-Wife was with, and able to run to an ATM in Thailand to fetch the 20K Baht for him, and 20K each for his elderly parents who were visiting (they had Tourist Visas).

Personally, as one with a Non-O-ME Visa, I carry the cash (mostly in travelers checks) - just because you never know if some jerk who hates Farangs will be assigned to some entry-point desk.

Yes I understand but it is not the real reality of what the rule is. Unfortunately In IO theory, they can decide to do anything that they want to do without any repercussion. I just hate to carry money when I shouldn’t have to as is completely idiotic when one is long term. Carrying lots of money is dangerous for anyone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes I understand but it is not the real reality of what the rule is. Unfortunately In IO theory, they can decide to do anything that they want to do without any repercussion. I just hate to carry money when I shouldn’t have to as is completely idiotic when one is long term. Carrying lots of money is dangerous for anyone. 

I carry 20,000 when I go to the 7/11.  I've been here for 20 years with no problems.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I just hate to carry money when I shouldn’t have to as is completely idiotic when one is long term. Carrying lots of money is dangerous for anyone. 

I, on the other hand, hate to travel without some emergency cash in case things go sideways and ATMs are either on the other side of security or immigration, an ATM eats my card, the system goes down, or any number of other circumstances.  Especially in the 3rd world where innocence is no guaranty of freedom, and cold hard cash may be the only way to get out of the country.

As for being dangerous, how does a crook know?  I'd rather have cash with me if I do get robbed.  Better a thief is so busy counting the cash he just stole from me that he forgets to kick me in the head.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

an ATM eats my card,

All one's cards?  Best to switch machines to the other one a few meters away, after the first card-loss.  Also, most banks will wire money Western Union in an emergency. 

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

As for being dangerous, how does a crook know? 

At border crossings, thieves could be aware of this policy, and realize every foreigner headed to the border is carrying a few months of what they would earn from a job in their country.  I think the only reason this has not been a major issue, is because this is SE Asia, and thievery is less of a problem, in general.  If this was a rule for entering a Latin American country, you'd need an armored car if the locals knew each of you were a "mark" carrying 20K Baht worth of cash.

At most entry-points, there is a Thai ATM just past immigration - but if they are playing a game of "Let's see the money, ha ha," you won't be able to access it to withdraw the cash or a balance-statement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

All one's cards?  Best to switch machines to the other one a few meters away, after the first card-loss.  Also, most banks will wire money Western Union in an emergency. 

At border crossings, thieves could be aware of this policy, and realize every foreigner headed to the border is carrying a few months of what they would earn from a job in their country.  I think the only reason this has not been a major issue, is because this is SE Asia, and thievery is less of a problem, in general.  If this was a rule for entering a Latin American country, you'd need an armored car if the locals knew each of you were a "mark" carrying 20K Baht worth of cash.

At most entry-points, there is a Thai ATM just past immigration - but if they are playing a game of "Let's see the money, ha ha," you won't be able to access it to withdraw the cash or a balance-statement.

Bottom line, if I'm crossing a border with $5,000 cash, and someone else is crossing that same border with $20, who's more likely to get robbed?   Having the cash doesn't make me more vulnerable than the next guy in line. 

In 20 years of traveling Asia (mostly China where international ATM's are few and far between), there have been several times that having hard currency has been the difference between a good day and a very, very crappy day.  When I first moved there in 1999, there were 2 international ATM's in my entire city of 10 million people.  And they were often both on the fritz at the same time...

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, seajae mentioned reentry permit at local imm. I notice your imm office CW. Might be easier to obtain reentry permit at airport. Very easy simple process.

Side note...you mention your holiday in Japan. Have your return flight handy for airline. 

Just be sure you have all the required documents with you when you apply for the exit/re-entry stamp.

Good luck.

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

Bottom line, if I'm crossing a border with $5,000 cash, and someone else is crossing that same border with $20, who's more likely to get robbed?   Having the cash doesn't make me more vulnerable than the next guy in line. 

If the robbers know everyone headed to the border Must Have 20K Baht to enter ... see the problem?

41 minutes ago, impulse said:

When I first moved there in 1999

That was a different world, then - but I remember traveling in those days.   Some of my travelers checks are 10+ years old (never expire) from a time when I lived somewhere ATMs could be a bus-ride away.  I topped them up just for Thailand immigration a couple years ago, so I could carry less cash. 

In this part of the world, if the ATMs all broke down, $50 can rent a room (w/ air-con), pay for a couple decent-meals, and pay a taxi to take one to a money-exchange to cash some travelers checks. 

44 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If the robbers know everyone headed to the border Must Have 20K Baht to enter ... see the problem?

That's true.  But carrying the cash is a requirement.  So it's the policy that puts people in danger.  Not the fact that I choose to carry cash without flashing it.  I have the same chance of being robbed as someone without the required cash.  And a better chance of getting admitted to Thailand if the IO demands to see it.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Different stakes also. If they are robbed they lose $20, if you are robbed you lose $5000.

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I carry 20,000 when I go to the 7/11.  I've been here for 20 years with no problems.  

Times are getting tougher for rip offs who can see into your wallet. So now I know why 7/11 is doing so well.

I have been here for more than that, but still will not carry more than 5 or 6000 at most when out. I also got ripped in Vietnam one time through one of their scams, but only lost about about 5000 including DONG. But I understand your non concern. 

12 hours ago, impulse said:

I, on the other hand, hate to travel without some emergency cash in case things go sideways and ATMs are either on the other side of security or immigration, an ATM eats my card, the system goes down, or any number of other circumstances.  Especially in the 3rd world where innocence is no guaranty of freedom, and cold hard cash may be the only way to get out of the country.

As for being dangerous, how does a crook know?  I'd rather have cash with me if I do get robbed.  Better a thief is so busy counting the cash he just stole from me that he forgets to kick me in the head.

I travel a lot in one year. In Thailand I carry a few thousand and outside carry enough when I leave about 5 or 6000 and 2 bank cards. But when coming back I still choose to have no more than the 5-6000 baht I left with. 

Thieves are good to seeing what you have in your wallet if you pay for something. I only travel using wallet. No man fanny pack. No, I'm really not concerned or scared of carrying 20k baht, I just don't want to as I will then have to put it back in the bank. It is sheer inconvenience. But having all foreigners coming into Thailand carrying 20k or more under a mandatory requirement is the same as having a gold chain on around your neck in a sense. For me it is mostly the sure inconvenience and control of jumping through yet another idiotic hoop when not a tourist. Don't get me wrong, unless thoroughly obliterated I am quite the see and notice everything for the most case (knack even to spot under cover police and scam artists lurking), and am not scared of nearly anything. 

13 hours ago, impulse said:

That's true.  But carrying the cash is a requirement.  So it's the policy that puts people in danger.  Not the fact that I choose to carry cash without flashing it.  I have the same chance of being robbed as someone without the required cash.  And a better chance of getting admitted to Thailand if the IO demands to see it.

I agree - the policy is the problem / creates the magnet for thieves.

Any problem with student visas? I want to go to other country on Songkran dates, do I need to get something from school to show to IO (on departure and entry). Obviously school will be closed on Songkran. And do I need to have 20k with me on entry?

10 minutes ago, clearance said:

Any problem with student visas? I want to go to other country on Songkran dates, do I need to get something from school to show to IO (on departure and entry). Obviously school will be closed on Songkran. And do I need to have 20k with me on entry?

Something from the school could help, especially upon your return.  Definitely have the 20K Baht.  IOs at the airports generally hate ED people - several refused-entry for either having an ED Visa in a passport, or returning on an ED-extension or Visa-entry with a re-entry permit. 

I'd return by a safe land-crossing, if it were me - plus carry the school-letter and cash.

14 hours ago, JackThompson said:

IOs at the airports generally hate ED people - several refused-entry for either having an ED Visa in a passport, or returning on an ED-extension or Visa-entry with a re-entry permit. 

That is a bit of scaremongering. It has been a long time since I seen a report of that happening.

Thye eased off on the n-on-ed visas and extension stay after the rules changed in 2014.

The re-entry permit problems were people who had spent a long time out of the country that had one year extensions without attending a day of school.

It would be useful to have something from the school to prove you are still enrolled and attending classes.

18 minutes ago, clearance said:

Thanks, so if I have letter from school with something like "school will be closed on holidays from n to n", it will be ok? I'm also scared that IO try to speak Thai to me, I just started, and still can't understand spoken Thai.

The letter would work. 

I don't think they will bother you with a language test. The officer probably would not know that you are studying Thai.