Cannot meet the requirement of 65000 or 800000. Options please

You say you are staying two months at a time, so, you do not need a tourist visa. Get 29 days on entry and extend by 30 days for 1,900 baht. The 60-day tourist visa is slightly cheaper but requires paperwork and burns more time (bring passport and paperwork to consulate, pick up your visa the next day).

A visa (of any type) is no guarantee that you will be allowed to enter Thailand, neither is looking respectable, it currently boils down to how often you visit and how close together those visits are.

You say you are from the UK. If you are from Northern Ireland, or have any Irish heritage, you should consider getting a ten-year Irish passport for £68. That will allow you to alternate your passports so that it won't be apparent that your visits are back-to-back. It may also be useful for traveling in Europe if Brexit does actually happen.

You should avoid Don Mueang, but that advice applies to any Westerner, even first-time visitors.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You say you are staying two months at a time, so, you do not need a tourist visa. Get 29 days on entry and extend by 30 days for 1,900 baht. The 60-day tourist visa is slightly cheaper but requires paperwork and burns more time (bring passport and paperwork to consulate, pick up your visa the next day).

A visa (of any type) is no guarantee that you will be allowed to enter Thailand, neither is looking respectable, it currently boils down to how often you visit and how close together those visits are.

You say you are from the UK. If you are from Northern Ireland, or have any Irish heritage, you should consider getting a ten-year Irish passport for £68. That will allow you to alternate your passports so that it won't be apparent that your visits are back-to-back. It may also be useful for traveling in Europe if Brexit does actually happen.

Visa exemption is 30 days on entry, not 29. The day you enter counts as day 1.

Having two passports would not help as immigration would almost certainly link them based on name and DOB. Once linked they have access to the combined record of entries. And it's unnecessary as the OP is not going to be making back to back visits.

50 minutes ago, donnacha said:

You should avoid Don Mueang, but that advice applies to any Westerner, even first-time visitors.

Why would any first-time visitor avoid one of the main international airports? In the first 9 months of 2018 the top 17 western countries (based on entries) made 4.7 million entries for tourism. How many of them were denied entry to warrant your ridiculous warning?

• Like 1

I'm guessing you probably don't have 500k kicking around for a Thailand Elite Easy Access membership either ?

(Renewable five-year multiple entry visa with extendable one-year length of stay per each entry.)

No hassles with number of trips to Thailand, or length of stay each trip. No need to do extensions or leave the country "for a day" just to come back in and get a new stamp.

Assistance with Immigration on arrival (as well as when doing the annual renewals, 90 day reports and other matters like opening bank accounts or getting a driver's license).

No funds in bank required. No monthly income required.

I'd say that for some people, this could be a viable option, but then again, I'm pretty sure that most of those that don't have the monthly income or the "money in bank" couldn't afford this either.
As the money is gone once you pay for the membership, this is the most expensive option. In most cases you'd probably be much further ahead to use alternative methods (like METVs) for a couple of years and build up the bank account to the point you can use that method for a Retirement Extension, instead of spending 500k and then, 5 years later, having nothing to show for it.

(Personally I use the "money in bank" method" but many years ago would have considered an Easy Access as I was "too young" to qualify for the Retirement Extension. Back then they didn't have the "Easy Access" option either and the full membership (2 million baht) didn't offer enough "extras" to make it worthwhile.)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SEtonal said:

although, if you are willing to fly some distance, like to Japan, there might not be as much trouble getting a 60-day tourist visa.

Japan does not issue visas to non residents so that is not a good country to try that. AFIK Korea is an option.

21 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

Jomtien Pattaya are NOT allowing combo method. 

I have not read one report this year of the combination method being accepted for an extension based on retirement without an Embassy income verification letter or use of an agent.  

A Brit was refused the combo method at Phuket, but was able to successfully get a 90-day non-O immigrant visa and 1-year extension based on retirement at Savannakhet.

An Australian (former Dutch/Netherlands citizen) was refused the combo method at Chiang Mai.   He will go back to Australia, apply for a 90-day non-O, top his Thai bank account up to 800K baht, and apply for an extension once his funds are properly seasoned.  

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Japan does not issue visas to non residents so that is not a good country to try that. AFIK Korea is an option.

Thanks to both you and JackThompson for pointing that out about Japan and South Korea.   

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I'm guessing you probably don't have 500k kicking around for a Thailand Elite Easy Access membership either ?

He could try a visa agent.  I believe 40K baht is the maximum being charged for a 1-year retirement extension without proof of proper funds.  That is significantly cheaper than a 500K 5-year Thailand Elite visa and comparable to the 1 million baht 20-year Thailand Elite visa.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Option 1:  When in the UK or Italy, borrow enough money from a friend or relative to qualify for an Non-Immigrant OA visa.  Once the visa is granted, return the borrowed money.   The Non-Immigrant OA visa will last two years if timed right. 

When the OP is over 50 years of age, the option 1 suggested by SEtonal is most probably your best option.

Long-time staying on tourist visas is getting increasingly risky for being denied entrance on arrival.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

(Renewable five-year multiple entry visa with extendable one-year length of stay per each entry.)

No hassles with number of trips to Thailand, or length of stay each trip. No need to do extensions or leave the country "for a day" just to come back in and get a new stamp.

Where you say in the second paragraph "....extendable one-year length of stay per entry" what is the procedure/paperwork and cost to extend for another year without needing to leave the country?

2 hours ago, SEtonal said:

He could try a visa agent.  I believe 40K baht is the maximum being charged for a 1-year retirement extension without proof of proper funds.  That is significantly cheaper than a 500K 5-year Thailand Elite visa and comparable to the 1 million baht 20-year Thailand Elite visa.

I have heard a report a few days ago of an offer of ฿25,000 from an agent in Bangkok "all you need is passport 3 photos and 25,000 + 4,000 for multiple re-entry permit + EMS cost. You do not need money in the bank we take care of that" the person who received the offer lives in the Northeast

• Like 1