Cannot meet the requirement of 65000 or 800000. Options please

36 minutes ago, Pib said:

Where you say in the second paragraph "....extendable one-year length of stay per entry" what is the procedure/paperwork and cost to extend for another year without needing to leave the country?

No paperwork if you just do a border hop. Just the cost getting to the border.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pib said:

Where you say in the second paragraph "....extendable one-year length of stay per entry" what is the procedure/paperwork and cost to extend for another year without needing to leave the country?

No idea - I just copy/pasted that from the Thai Elite page. I don't have an Elite card myself.

I suspect the paperwork would be the same as for a normal Extension (TM.7 form, passport photos, photocopies of passport pages, proof of address, TM.8 for the Re-Entry permit, etc) except for the financial part. (Maybe Thailand Elite issues a covering letter of some sort ? Maybe they offer assistance with filling out/processing the paperwork ?)

I'm guessing (totally) that the cost would be the same (1,900 baht for the Extension and 3,800 baht for the Multi Re-Entry permit).

I can't see any reason why you'd need to leave the country though (even just for "day"). I certainly don't need to do that when I renew my Extension every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:
1 hour ago, Pib said:

No idea - I just copy/pasted that from the Thai Elite page. I don't have an Elite card myself.

I suspect the paperwork would be the same as for a normal Extension (TM.7 form, passport photos, photocopies of passport pages, proof of address, TM.8 for the Re-Entry permit, etc) except for the financial part. (Maybe Thailand Elite issues a covering letter of some sort ? Maybe they offer assistance with filling out/processing the paperwork ?)

It is the usual TM.7 extension application. TE will help with the application, but I beleive it needs to be made in person. You can pay TE to go with you. No financials are needed.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I'm guessing (totally) that the cost would be the same (1,900 baht for the Extension and 3,800 baht for the Multi Re-Entry permit).

It does cost 1,900 baht.

You wouldn’t need a Re-entry permit all the time your re-entries were before the visa expired, as it’s a multiple entry visa. You would need one if you wanted to protect permission to stay that was expiring after the visa, and want to re-enter after the visa expired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The extension is not needed if you leave and re-enter the country at least once during the year. The Thai Elite PE visa is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for 5 years from the date of issue. 

The one year extension is easy to get for a fee of 1900 baht. Just a TM7 form and passport copies showing the elite visa and last entry stamp. No need for a re-entry permit since it is a multiple entry visa.

Thanks guys.  I had always wondered if the multi year Elite Visa giving a one year stay on each entry could be extended without needing to leave the country.   So, it basically operates like a Retirement Extension of Stay but without the financial requirement (i.e., Bt800K).   I've been doing the Bt800K in the bank method close to a decade now to renew my Retirement extension of stay....and will continue with that method.  But I can see how the Elite card is a good extension vehicle for some although costly due to the high upfront cost.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps you could do the combination of annual income and money in a Thai bank to reach a total of 800k baht would be possible.

I don’t know if this helps but the Italian Embassy I believe still gives Income Affidavits but I definitely would NOT encourage lying on the Affidavit.  Or maybe leave the country and get a new visa at a Thai Embassy.  I’m just spit baling Ubonjoe is the subject matter expert on these things not me.  I’m just throwing out some hypotheticals.  Good luck I hope it works out for you.  

4 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

I don’t know if this helps but the Italian Embassy I believe still gives Income Affidavits but I definitely would NOT encourage lying on the Affidavit.  Or maybe leave the country and get a new visa at a Thai Embassy.  I’m just spit baling Ubonjoe is the subject matter expert on these things not me.  I’m just throwing out some hypotheticals.  Good luck I hope it works out for you.  

Thanks for that. I don’t think that would work for me. I am a Uk citizen with a Uk passport. Residing in Italy.

Mind you,I might ask.

11 hours ago, donnacha said:
12 hours ago, elviajero said:

Visa exemption is 30 days on entry, not 29. The day you enter counts as day 1.

Yes. I say 29 because many non-Thais make the mistake of simply adding 30 days to their arrival date, as you would for other countries, resulting in being one day over. That is the #1 cause of accidental overstays in Thailand. 

And saying 29 days confuses the situation when it's published as 30 days everywhere! It's 30 days with the day you arrive counting as day 1.

I agree that people trying to max out their stay can get caught out, which is the reason the Bangkok airports do not - as a rule - charge for an overstay less of than 24 hours or formally record an overstay.

In this case, it is also important to highlight that the tourist visa gives you an extra day over the waiver + extension method.

Not sure what this means?

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

Having two passports would not help as immigration would almost certainly link them based on name and DOB.

Despite your "almost" certainty, you do not know what you are talking about. At this time, there is no such system in place. There may be in the future, it would make a lot of sense, but at this time there is not and many members of this forum benefit from that, the OP might benefit too.

It is correct to say "almost certainly" because the process of linking passports is manual. 

Read this explanation from another TVF member and then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!

12 hours ago, donnacha said:
13 hours ago, elviajero said:

And it's unnecessary as the OP is not going to be making back to back visits.

The OP said no such thing. He said he would be here 180 days per year, in 60 day blocks. We do not know how he plans to arrange them but, as there are only 365 days in a year, it is not a wild stretch to suggest that some of his visits might run close together. In the context of my suggestion - that he simply use the visa waiver + extensions - it was worth mentioning the possible pitfalls of such a schedule.

I agree that they didn't say that specifically, but it was implied that the 3 entries will be across the year.

If travelling from your home country, with a visa issued in the home country - as I recommended - should not cause any problems. 

Whatever the overall risk of being denied entry to Thailand, it is widely recognized as being higher in Don Mueang. A significant majority of the refusals reported on this forum occur there. In the context of my suggestion - that he use the visa waiver + extensions - it was relevant to mention that, if possible, he should avoid relying on visa waivers from immigration officers at that airport

Nope. It's widely 'speculated'! In the past it was true that most reports of denials were from DKM, but that has changed over the last 18 months or so. But I was specifically replying to your warning to first time visitors to avoid the airports, which is absolute nonsense.

Elviajero, I do not know if you have some sort of deep-seated problems in your life, or if you are just having a bad day, but perhaps you should be less eager to jump all over other members' posts when they are trying to help other members, particularly when you are factually wrong on key points.

Point to the key points I have factually wrong. I've already pointed out yours.

My well being is irrelevant. I am simply correcting wrong/bad advice and misinformation for the benefit of others. If you can't take criticism then it's best not to post.

It is not enough to be "almost" certain, you need to either know from experience or do some research. You might be knowledgeable on many subjects, but no-one knows everything and, if you pretend you do, you risk making a fool of yourself. I mean this kindly.

Sometimes "almost certain" is the best there is and the best advice. The only certainty with immigration policy is the uncertainty.

I only post on subjects I have personal experience of, or that I have researched. I don't profess to know everything, but there is no one regularly posting on this forum with more personal experience of the 'immigration game'. 

• Like 2

JackThompson, Thank you very much. Even after my current monthly expenses, I should be able deposit 65000 in a Thai bank. I opened an account Thursday, 14 Mar 2019.  I trust I will be able to make first deposit month and each month thereafter.  Currently I possess a O-A non immigrant long stay visa, 1 year with multiple entry, issued June 8, 2018. First used to come Thailand 12 Dec 2018. Will the current visa still expire on June 7, 2019?  I want to convert to retirement visa or extend O-A, 1 year visa when I return to Thailand in June, before 07, if feasible.  By early June, 2019, I plan to have deposited 65000 baht in a Thai bank every month starting March 2019.

All comments and advice are truly appreciated.

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Here, here.  I'm checking it out over Songkran.

Can you give an update? For example, what locations you look st and how easy it is Tom acquire long term accommodation. I’d be interested in spending a few months a year there.

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

From the OP. My visits to Trailand are 2 months apart.

Thanks for reiterating that.  I have done nothing but give bad advice in this thread.  For some reason I thought OP wanted to stay 180 days in a row.  I also thought he had permanent residency in Italy.

OP, ignore everything I said in this thread.  Sorry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Thanks for reiterating that.  I have done nothing but give bad advice in this thread.  For some reason I thought OP wanted to stay 180 days in a row.  I also thought he had permanent residency in Italy.

OP, ignore everything I said in this thread.  Sorry.

No probs. I have got permanent residency in Italy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, donnacha said:

it currently boils down to how often you visit and how close together those visits are.

And the duration of previous visits (weeks vs months).  Even with a Tourist Visa you can have problems, if your "stuck around too long the last time," in the mind of the IO in charge.  There are no guidelines - just lawlessness at the Bangkok airports - so it's always dangerous, whatever the odds.

8 hours ago, SEtonal said:

An Australian (former Dutch/Netherlands citizen) was refused the combo method at Chiang Mai.   He will go back to Australia, apply for a 90-day non-O, top his Thai bank account up to 800K baht, and apply for an extension once his funds are properly seasoned.  

If traveling to one's passport-country (or where one has legal residence), a Non-OA is the best deal, now.  Immigration here is best avoided if at all possible - and you can keep you money invested wisely, and in a country where you have the permanent right to "be" / have access to it.

Why be held-hostage by the deteriorating conditions of Thai immigration if you have an alternative, and are already in or going to where you can obtain a Non-OA?  Soon, the majority of folks still obtaining "extensions of stay" from immigration here will be the ones faking the money with agents - which seems to be the point of the exercise.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have heard a report a few days ago of an offer of ฿25,000 from an agent in Bangkok "all you need is passport 3 photos and 25,000 + 4,000 for multiple re-entry permit + EMS cost. You do not need money in the bank we take care of that" the person who received the offer lives in the Northeast

They should call it the "New Rules Special".  I have to wonder if that agent actually uses CW immigration, though - I would bet pocketing 7K extra and doing it via a Jomtien agent.  Doing the 90-day reports might be interesting - or he could border-bounce to avoid them, like those of us on Non-O-ME Visas.

4 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

Currently I possess a O-A non immigrant long stay visa, 1 year with multiple entry, issued June 8, 2018. First used to come Thailand 12 Dec 2018. Will the current visa still expire on June 7, 2019?

The visa's expiration date should be printed on it - should be on that date.  If you enter on that date or before, you will get a NEW 1-year permitted stay, which you can keep alive for trips in and out with a re-entry permit.

4 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

I want to convert to retirement visa or extend O-A, 1 year visa when I return to Thailand in June, before 07, if feasible.  By early June, 2019, I plan to have deposited 65000 baht in a Thai bank every month starting March 2019.

If the IOs at your local office will accept deposits from March 2019 through June 2019, then you could opt for the 1-year extension of stay, but some are demanding 12 months of deposits - even for those applying currently. 

As I wrote above, a border-run before your Non-OA Visa expires would give you a fresh 1-year permitted-stay - same as what you would get from going through the rigamorole with immigration.  The only difference, is you would have to do a border-run to get it - unless entering close to that date, in which case you get 1-year permitted-stay from that date -and are set. 

Just don't forget to get a re-entry permit to keep it alive for that year, after the "Visa" has expired.

---------

As to the discussion about entry-types - the entries do not have to be back-to-back to be a problem if entering at lawless entry points like the Bangkok Airports. They don't follow the law or even a consistent-standard of illegal rules - so anything could happen.

If willing to enter at law-abiding land-borders, then flying domestic, there is not a problem regardless of if entries are "back to back" or not - since "when you were last here" or "how much time you spent here before" are not legal reasons for consideration by a law-abiding IO.  The only limitation to be concerned with, in this context, is a valid police-order limiting Visa-Exempt land-border entries to 2x per calendar year.  Of course, always have the required items depending on if entering Exempt or with a Visa - money, flight, hotel-booking, etc.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, Jerry787 said:

Vietnam. Laos, Cambodia 450USD per year, multi entry 1 year visa.

not easy, unless ur over 55, to get a 1 year ER extension in Cambodia an its around $390 not $450... BUT its multiple entry an no need any $$ in any Bank,  although banks pay up to 8% ( - 6%tax) on 1 year deposits ( vs 1.5% in Thailand)
no retirement visa for Laos and hard to get 1 year unless legally working or married.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, brokenbone said:

do report back, we need a vietnam topic more then ever

OK.  I will be flying to Da Nang & spending half my time there & half in Hoi An.  The hotels were incredibly cheap.  I will let you know how good they were.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, elviajero said:

3 x 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa. (recommended)

or

3 x 30 day Visa Exempt Entries with 30 day extensions.

elviajero:

Am I correct in saying that the 60-day SETV cannot be extended by 30 days in-country, whereas the Visa Exempt 30 days can?

Paul

49 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

elviajero:

Am I correct in saying that the 60-day SETV cannot be extended by 30 days in-country, whereas the Visa Exempt 30 days can?

Paul

Both are extendable by 30 days for the standard 1,900 fee.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, dcnx said:

Vietnam. 1 year multi entry visa for around $400. 

Forget Thailand. Go somewhere where you’re welcome.

Only for USA residents, Vietnam has changed there Visa requirements again, 3 month tourist visa, then enter again.

4 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Only for USA residents, Vietnam has changed there Visa requirements again, 3 month tourist visa, then enter again.

Fortunately, no problem doing them back-to-back.  The 1-year Tourist-Visa also requires border-bounces at 90-days. 
Reports indicate one can get a 1-year business-visa (no border-bounces) very easily via an agent.  I think that's the $400 option being referred to.