Cannot meet the requirement of 65000 or 800000. Options please

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Fortunately, no problem doing them back-to-back.  The 1-year Tourist-Visa also requires border-bounces at 90-days. 
Reports indicate one can get a 1-year business-visa (no border-bounces) very easily via an agent.  I think that's the $400 option being referred to.

Just come back after a month, fake news can not get business visa from an agent only a company....tried a few agents and spoke to expats, 2 year residence costs 1500 usd, one year tourist Yanks only...

7 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Just come back after a month, fake news can not get business visa from an agent only a company....tried a few agents and spoke to expats, 2 year residence costs 1500 usd, one year tourist Yanks only...

visa runs are a game breaker for me,

is there any visa in vietnam that i wont have to do a visa run for ?

i am not a US citizen

On 3/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, mikebell said:

Here, here.  I'm checking it out over Songkran.

The language is difficult but the visas are easy (especially if American). No check ins. You get your visa and they don’t see you again until next year. Tourist visa can be granted for one year but you have to exit I think 3x per year (border run).

Check out Da Nang and Da Lat unless you don’t mind the non stop heat in HCMC. Da Lat has cooler temperatures. Da Nang is a beach city. 

Vietnam still has a bit to go before they pass Thailand in terms of western comforts, but it’s not bad and they are developing rapidly. They heavily cater to Koreans in some cities.

Very easy to acquire a work permit / business visa too. None of the nonsense that you get in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiggo said:

I’m in Vietnam right now. The visa is for Americans and it’s very easy to get. I didn’t check for non-Americans. They do have a tourist visa as well but border runs are required every 90. 

It’s one year multi entry. No check-ins. You can work.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:47 AM, mikebell said:

OK.  I will be flying to Da Nang & spending half my time there & half in Hoi An.  The hotels were incredibly cheap.  I will let you know how good they were.

Food is expensive unless you eat street food. 

Loads of Koreans in both places.

Hoi An is charming. Crowded, but charming. 

Da Nang is large and spread out. You can stay in the older areas or in modern zones near the beach. Driving is intense. Da Nang seems to have more western expats.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, Kerryd said:

(Personally I use the "money in bank" method" but many years ago would have considered an Easy Access as I was "too young" to qualify for the Retirement Extension. Back then they didn't have the "Easy Access" option either and the full membership (2 million baht) didn't offer enough "extras" to make it worthwhile.)

Back then it was irrelevant, all visa types were easy to obtain and there was no suggestion that the status quo might change. When the Elite visa was launched back in 2003 it looked like a scam of the first order.

It's baffling to see right now how it's emerging as a "respectable" option. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I have heard a report a few days ago of an offer of ฿25,000 from an agent in Bangkok "all you need is passport 3 photos and 25,000 + 4,000 for multiple re-entry permit + EMS cost.

Smart marketing. 4,000 baht is accurate, pretty much the correct multiple reentry cost when you throw in the EMS fees. It almost makes the other 25,000 look plausible. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, JackThompson said:

We come to places like Thailand because we can have a better quality of life at a lower cost than our passport-country.  Our spending from foreign-sources is good for Thais, and the lower costs is good for us - a true "Win Win" scenario for all concerned. 

I can't understand how anyone in their right mind could disagree with this statement. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The language is difficult but the visas are easy (especially if American). No check ins. You get your visa and they don’t see you again until next year. Tourist visa can be granted for one year but you have to exit I think 3x per year (border run).

Check out Da Nang and Da Lat unless you don’t mind the non stop heat in HCMC. Da Lat has cooler temperatures. Da Nang is a beach city. 

Vietnam still has a bit to go before they pass Thailand in terms of western comforts, but it’s not bad and they are developing rapidly. They heavily cater to Koreans in some cities.

Very easy to acquire a work permit / business visa too. None of the nonsense that you get in Thailand.

Again thank you.  I have visited HCM and agree the traffic was hectic but it kept moving.  Last night in Pattaya it took 25 minutes to travel one km into the city thanks to tour buses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Again thank you.  I have visited HCM and agree the traffic was hectic but it kept moving.  Last night in Pattaya it took 25 minutes to travel one km into the city thanks to tour buses.

The last time I was in Pattaya the traffic was unbearable. Absolute disaster.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I am ashamed; as an ex-English teacher.  I've grown lazy and over-reliant on spellcheckers.

Shouldn't worry, I'm also mildly ashamed that I made a grammar police comment. Autocorrect can easily catch any of us out ????

Edited by lamyai3

8 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Just come back after a month, fake news can not get business visa from an agent only a company....tried a few agents and spoke to expats,

Isn't it the "company" who provides the letter?  I recall some info from these guys:

@atyclb

@Jai Normous

From the latter, I cannot find the "It's Painful to Watch" thread, with recent Vietnam info, but can read parts of the thread in Google cached:

When they are on, it's a 1 year multi entry business visa,

... evidently, the full 1-year offerings are not always available ...

and when they are not issuing them, it's a 3 month multi entry business visa that can be extended 3 times to make your stay 1 year, then you have to leave and come back and do it again, or usually 1 year visas are back on and you come back in on them. 

By the way, they can be single entry, they don't have to be the more expensive multi entry.

In Vietnam, just pay your money, get your visa, stay, extend, stay, extend, stay extend, leave, comeback, do same again.

No reports I have read of people attempting entry to Vietnam and being harassed because of recent, 100% legal, prior stays there. 

30 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If the combo-method is allowed, that could help with a lower bank-money amount.  But the bank-money is now frozen for longer periods, and we have reports that some offices are no longer accepting combos.

I have seen the post saying a person was told that they would not a accept an application using the combination but no confirmation of it that is a rule as some office or a one off case due to a person not qualifying for it.

If a office actually stated they would not do them even though a person qualified for it a call to 1178 would be advised to try and get it sorted out. A local office cannot refuse to do it since it is written in the police orders for extensions of stay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

easier said than done for some ....  what if you've made it your home, have family, and the house & car.    :sad:

Of course it will be easier for some. That’s life.

What choice do you have? You either meet the requirements or you start the process of relocating. 

You chose to live HERE knowing you have to live check-in to check-in, and you still put down roots. You built a house on unstable ground. Now you have to deal with it, one way or the other. I feel for you guys, it won’t be easy if you can’t meet the requirements.

There are still agents who will help you. Contact the ones in Pattaya if your local agent can’t help.

• Like 1

no one has mentioned an ED VISA, seems that is good for one year, anyone looked at this route, dam site cheaper than 800,000 ? could be a lot of 70 year old school kids soon, i got the short trousers, lol

Edited by mercman24
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

no one has mentioned an ED VISA, seems that is good for one year, anyone looked at this route, dam site cheaper than 800,000 ? could be a lot of 70 year old school kids soon, i got the short trousers, lol

A non-ed visa is normally only issued as a single entry at a embassy or consulate and allows one 90 day entry. Then a extension of stay can be applied for. If studying at a informal school (language schools for example) the extensions are only valid for 90 days at at time and only a total stay of one year is allowed. After a year a new non-ed has to be applied fpr. If attending at a formal school such as a university one year extensions are possible.

The tuition for a language school can be as much as 40k baht a year and you must attend classes 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:47 AM, mikebell said:

OK.  I will be flying to Da Nang & spending half my time there & half in Hoi An.  The hotels were incredibly cheap.  I will let you know how good they were.

Went to both places last year and Hoi An was simply overrun with Chinese, Da Nang not so much, and would give it another try although would stay closer to the city centre next time.

All the same, will be interested in your report.

PS. Found an absolutely great, small Italian restaurant in Da Nang and not expensive, as well as a Mexican/various foods one and IMO not expensive, nor were the Viet food ones.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

Go and join the Samui community online pinboard.  There's plenty of good advice there - among all the garbage as well.

( They blocked me because I'm too straight-forward and don't like weak site administration that cannot control the back-stabbing)

32 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Go and join the Samui community online pinboard.  There's plenty of good advice there - among all the garbage as well.

( They blocked me because I'm too straight-forward and don't like weak site administration that cannot control the back-stabbing)

Thanks for that. Really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since you are a member of the European Union, I would forget about Thailand.  You have so many outstanding choices of interesting and inexpensive European destinations you could move to that doesn't have all the idiotic nonsense Thai Immigration has to qualify to stay in Thailand.

To make matters worst, the Junta controls Thailand, and these people will be directing Thai Immigration on how to deal with western retirees.  You can already see the direction they are going in. ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Since you are a member of the European Union, I would forget about Thailand.  You have so many outstanding choices of interesting and inexpensive European destinations you could move to that doesn't have all the idiotic nonsense Thai Immigration has to qualify to stay in Thailand.

To make matters worst, the Junta controls Thailand, and these people will be directing Thai Immigration on how to deal with western retirees.  You can already see the direction they are going in. ????

Thanks for that. I am already a resident in Italy