BANGKOK 21 June 2019 04:52
norfolkandchance

Cannot meet the requirement of 65000 or 800000. Options please

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Fortunately, no problem doing them back-to-back.  The 1-year Tourist-Visa also requires border-bounces at 90-days. 
Reports indicate one can get a 1-year business-visa (no border-bounces) very easily via an agent.  I think that's the $400 option being referred to.

Just come back after a month, fake news can not get business visa from an agent only a company....tried a few agents and spoke to expats, 2 year residence costs 1500 usd, one year tourist Yanks only...

On 3/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, mikebell said:

Here, here.

Vietnam is great, worth checking out. The expression is "hear hear" though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Just come back after a month, fake news can not get business visa from an agent only a company....tried a few agents and spoke to expats, 2 year residence costs 1500 usd, one year tourist Yanks only...

visa runs are a game breaker for me,

is there any visa in vietnam that i wont have to do a visa run for ?

i am not a US citizen

On 3/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, mikebell said:

Here, here.  I'm checking it out over Songkran.

The language is difficult but the visas are easy (especially if American). No check ins. You get your visa and they don’t see you again until next year. Tourist visa can be granted for one year but you have to exit I think 3x per year (border run).

Check out Da Nang and Da Lat unless you don’t mind the non stop heat in HCMC. Da Lat has cooler temperatures. Da Nang is a beach city. 

Vietnam still has a bit to go before they pass Thailand in terms of western comforts, but it’s not bad and they are developing rapidly. They heavily cater to Koreans in some cities.

Very easy to acquire a work permit / business visa too. None of the nonsense that you get in Thailand.

• Like 1

Stay in your home country - save some money or work to get a promotion or a higher paying job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiggo said:

I’m in Vietnam right now. The visa is for Americans and it’s very easy to get. I didn’t check for non-Americans. They do have a tourist visa as well but border runs are required every 90. 

It’s one year multi entry. No check-ins. You can work.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, elviajero said:

Doesn’t help much if you want to live in Thailand.

Good luck with that.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:47 AM, mikebell said:

OK.  I will be flying to Da Nang & spending half my time there & half in Hoi An.  The hotels were incredibly cheap.  I will let you know how good they were.

Food is expensive unless you eat street food. 

Loads of Koreans in both places.

Hoi An is charming. Crowded, but charming. 

Da Nang is large and spread out. You can stay in the older areas or in modern zones near the beach. Driving is intense. Da Nang seems to have more western expats.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, Kerryd said:

(Personally I use the "money in bank" method" but many years ago would have considered an Easy Access as I was "too young" to qualify for the Retirement Extension. Back then they didn't have the "Easy Access" option either and the full membership (2 million baht) didn't offer enough "extras" to make it worthwhile.)

Back then it was irrelevant, all visa types were easy to obtain and there was no suggestion that the status quo might change. When the Elite visa was launched back in 2003 it looked like a scam of the first order.

It's baffling to see right now how it's emerging as a "respectable" option. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I have heard a report a few days ago of an offer of ฿25,000 from an agent in Bangkok "all you need is passport 3 photos and 25,000 + 4,000 for multiple re-entry permit + EMS cost.

Smart marketing. 4,000 baht is accurate, pretty much the correct multiple reentry cost when you throw in the EMS fees. It almost makes the other 25,000 look plausible. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, JackThompson said:

We come to places like Thailand because we can have a better quality of life at a lower cost than our passport-country.  Our spending from foreign-sources is good for Thais, and the lower costs is good for us - a true "Win Win" scenario for all concerned. 

I can't understand how anyone in their right mind could disagree with this statement. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The language is difficult but the visas are easy (especially if American). No check ins. You get your visa and they don’t see you again until next year. Tourist visa can be granted for one year but you have to exit I think 3x per year (border run).

Check out Da Nang and Da Lat unless you don’t mind the non stop heat in HCMC. Da Lat has cooler temperatures. Da Nang is a beach city. 

Vietnam still has a bit to go before they pass Thailand in terms of western comforts, but it’s not bad and they are developing rapidly. They heavily cater to Koreans in some cities.

Very easy to acquire a work permit / business visa too. None of the nonsense that you get in Thailand.

Again thank you.  I have visited HCM and agree the traffic was hectic but it kept moving.  Last night in Pattaya it took 25 minutes to travel one km into the city thanks to tour buses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Vietnam is great, worth checking out. The expression is "hear hear" though.

I am ashamed; as an ex-English teacher.  I've grown lazy and over-reliant on spellcheckers.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Again thank you.  I have visited HCM and agree the traffic was hectic but it kept moving.  Last night in Pattaya it took 25 minutes to travel one km into the city thanks to tour buses.

The last time I was in Pattaya the traffic was unbearable. Absolute disaster.

• Like 1