Decent dust masks

wildpikey

Dunk your face (eyes and mouth closed) in a bowl of warm water, with dissolved sea salt and a few drops of iodine. Gently blot face with clean towel don't wipe eyes. You can also use as a sinus rinse, while face is in water mixture, suck water in with both nostrils until water drains into mouth. Over sink, drain nostrils and water from mouth - repeat.

If needed, Blow nose very gently so not to push fluid into the Eustachian tubes. Use clean filtered (bottled) water.

Unless the face mask makes an air tight seal around your face, bad air will get in. Follow the path of least resistance.

Hospitals use those cheap face masks to stop the person wearing them from breathing on others, not to stop pollution from entering their body.

fm.jpg

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

3M mask for sale in Boots. 5 for 165 baht...

DAC33259-FE9D-425D-9D2E-5994924B9E63.jpeg

Yes these are definitely good.

9501c

Don't be fooled with these fashion masks you see everyone is wearing. Stick with the 3M brand that's reputable and sold worldwide. 

Check out this link

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/

The article was written by a guy in China who knows what he's talking about. 

20190316_172730.png

3M store is the place. That said I am seeing masks, "quality masks" at a number of different places around town recently.   I bought my supply last month and lots of places did not have them. #M store did and more than a few models. I got a supply.

19 hours ago, sfokevin said:

3M mask for sale in Boots. 5 for 165 baht...

DAC33259-FE9D-425D-9D2E-5994924B9E63.jpeg

I have this exact ones are 65baht in my local pharmacy. I like this one better than the other similar 3M one, which doesn't have the filter. They both filter out PM2.5.

2 hours ago, banagan said:

I like this one better than the other similar 3M one, which doesn't have the filter. They both filter out PM2.5.

I agree the 9501V with filter is easier to breath with compared with the 9501C. 

The 9332 is also a good mask. Wasn't able to find any around town so ordered some online from Lazada. 

The class of mask you are looking for is N95. This filters out 2.5 particles. You want to wear this tightly.

Be careful of the masks that make a seal on your skin. Some of these positive pressure mask can be a problem for people who have diminished lung capacity and power. You need a certain amount of air pressure to open and close the valves. Before USA employers are allowed to require an employee to wear some of these masks they are given a lung capacity test.

4 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

The class of mask you are looking for is N95. This filters out 2.5 particles. You want to wear this tightly.

Be careful of the masks that make a seal on your skin. Some of these positive pressure mask can be a problem for people who have diminished lung capacity and power. You need a certain amount of air pressure to open and close the valves. Before USA employers are allowed to require an employee to wear some of these masks they are given a lung capacity test.

Yes - an N95 mask but only from a reputable manufacturer such as 3M  - FYI these masks are not 'positive pressure masks' but may offer some inspiratory/expiratory resistance which those with chronic lung disease may find to be a problem Such individuals should seek advice from a Pulmonologist. 

I'm allergic to clean air.  I hate breathing properly.  I've worked for the man for many years so I could relax in my old age.  Sit back, breathe.....

cough cough cough die die die....

Can we change our life?  no, we are stuck with the black lung.  

But, good news, tonight there is a place with 15 baht noodle soup!!! 

I don't trust all 3M stuff here, just saying.  

22 hours ago, banagan said:

I have this exact ones are 65baht in my local pharmacy. I like this one better than the other similar 3M one, which doesn't have the filter. They both filter out PM2.5.

I have these too.  Makro on the Superhighway sell them in their pharmacy section and from what I've read they are one of the best available.  Just a point though, the plastic bit that you mention as a filter is in fact an exhaust valve to stop the inside of the mask from becoming uncomfortable and improve the fit.  The filtering is done through the main fabric of the body like most masks.

19 hours ago, KarlS said:

Yes - an N95 mask but only from a reputable manufacturer such as 3M  - FYI these masks are not 'positive pressure masks' but may offer some inspiratory/expiratory resistance which those with chronic lung disease may find to be a problem Such individuals should seek advice from a Pulmonologist. 

You are correct.  Also, for pregnant women esp in their third trimester or late second trimester, their lung capacity is naturally limited wrt normal, so it might be an issue for them as well.

Those with a history of migrane headaches, also do be mindful, the CO2 buildup even with masks equipped with exhaust valves might trigger migrane.  If stuff like ibuprofen/naproxen sodium/tramadol can fix that migrane, then it's fine.  But if yours is the super serious type and only takes 30 mins to induce migrane related vomitting/nausea needing a trip to the emergency dept or at least a visit to the GP to get injections, then do be mindful that a N95 mask might bring worse effects.

And for kids, you gotta be equipped with the correct mask size for them.  3M 8110S is one, but it probably only fits kids no younger than 8-10 years of age depending on their face size, maybe even then you might need to ensure that the sides are truly not leaking by using some sticky tape or something.    In my country, there is a local product with 3 sizes that fits down to age 3. 

Just stay at home, don't have much physical activity so that the breathing rate is the lowest it can be, best is to be equipped with Air purifiers, fix all the leaky parts of the house (but not air tight, you gotta have some air changes occasionally to manage indoor CO2 levels).  That's probably the best way to manage those pax displaying symptoms due to the haze, other than just going for medication. Coz it could last for another week or two, can't be taking meds the whole time.  

On 3/16/2019 at 5:26 PM, lucky2008 said:

Yes these are definitely good.

9501c

Don't be fooled with these fashion masks you see everyone is wearing. Stick with the 3M brand that's reputable and sold worldwide. 

Check out this link

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/

The article was written by a guy in China who knows what he's talking about. 

Be sure to purchase your masks from a reputable pharmacy or Big C, etc. A pharmacist friend of mine said that Chinese copies of 3M are being sold all over the city. They are not PM 2.5 certified and are junk. My wife showed me a photo on FB of the police seizing about 5,000 fake masks from a woman in Chiang Mai. There is a website where you can check to see if your mask is fake or not. But for certain, reputable pharmacies, Big C, etc. are selling the real thing.

Does anyone know where N95 or N99 masks fitted with an exhaust valve IN SIZE XL can be purchased in Chiang Mai?  I bought a box of 10 N99 masks, not 3M but very good quality, from Lazada this past week.  They would be perfect if only a tad larger in the distance from the bottom of the chin portion to the top of the nose.  The mask is just not long rough to properly cover the bridge of my nose and fit below the chin.  These are of Chinese origin and are marketed as being size L, but I believe that sizing refers to Asian faces, not westerners.  Somebody must be offering respirator masks that will fit larger, western face sizes.  Any ideas out there?  Thanks. 

Does anyone know where N95 or N99 masks fitted with an exhaust valve IN SIZE XL can be purchased in Chiang Mai?  I bought a box of 10 N99 masks, not 3M but very good quality, from Lazada this past week.  They would be perfect if only a tad larger in the distance from the bottom of the chin portion to the top of the nose.  The mask is just not long enough to properly cover the bridge of my nose and fit below the chin.  These are of Chinese origin and are marketed as being size L, but I believe that sizing refers to Asian faces, not westerners.  Somebody must be offering respirator masks that will fit larger, western face sizes.  Any ideas out there?  Thanks. 

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

My wife showed me a photo on FB of the police seizing about 5,000 fake masks from a woman in Chiang Mai. 

Unfortunately the fakes are everywhere nowadays, particularly those in the luxury, pharmaceutical, and more generally the consumer goods sector. 

Yes, it's always best to buy straight from the actual company, but what's scary is when real "reputable" companies deliberately start purchasing from fake manufacturers. 

12 hours ago, Dinobot said:

There’s a Xiaomi N95 mask with valve that just came into stock in CentFest, along with a truckload of air purifiers. Only problem is they only stock size M and S, so possibly too small for people with bigger heads/faces.

Sounds like the S size might be a good fit for kids.   You'd need to do fit testing to ensure that there are no kids for them else it doesn't help much.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, elektrified said:

A pharmacist friend of mine said that Chinese copies of 3M are being sold all over the city.

Your right and not just all over the city, they are all over the internet as well.

I just received an order from one of largest online retails here in Thailand, and the masks I received are fake. 

A Facebook page 1412 Cardiology also came forward and posted a method to check whether the 3M mask you have is authentic or not.

To check if your 3M mask is authentic or not you can use the following link. 

https://safeguard.3m.com/Guest#/Validation

This website will automatically tell you whether your mask was made by 3M or not.

On a side note, watch out for the fake air purifiers being sold online as well. If the actual company is out of stock, and your still able to find it online through an independent reatailer, there's a big probability it's fake as well. 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, lucky2008 said:

Your right and not just all over the city, they are all over the internet as well.

I just received an order from one of largest online retails here in Thailand, and the masks I received are fake. 

A Facebook page 1412 Cardiology also came forward and posted a method to check whether the 3M mask you have is authentic or not.

To check if your 3M mask is authentic or not you can use the following link. 

https://safeguard.3m.com/Guest#/Validation

This website will automatically tell you whether your mask was made by 3M or not.

On a side note, watch out for the fake air purifiers being sold online as well. If the actual company is out of stock, and your still able to find it online through an independent reatailer, there's a big probability it's fake as well. 

It looks like I got took, too.  I bought 4 for 75 baht each.  They look like they're a 3M product with the logo embossed in the filter as well as printed on the plastic area.  Alas, at this point I'm not sure that the product is any better than nothing at all.

19 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

It looks like I got took, too.  I bought 4 for 75 baht each.  They look like they're a 3M product with the logo embossed in the filter as well as printed on the plastic area.  Alas, at this point I'm not sure that the product is any better than nothing at all.

Here are the masks I bought.  I complained to the seller, and he turned around and sent me the invoice he supposedly received from 3M Bangkok.  Upon further inspection I could clearly see that the invoice was fraudulently put together. 

20190321_121153.jpg

Archived