BANGKOK 20 May 2019 00:26
wildpikey

Decent dust masks

Really suffering this year, can anyone recommend a place to get a decent mask to stop me feeling like shit?

Dunk your face (eyes and mouth closed) in a bowl of warm water, with dissolved sea salt and a few drops of iodine. Gently blot face with clean towel don't wipe eyes. You can also use as a sinus rinse, while face is in water mixture, suck water in with both nostrils until water drains into mouth. Over sink, drain nostrils and water from mouth - repeat.

If needed, Blow nose very gently so not to push fluid into the Eustachian tubes. Use clean filtered (bottled) water.

This site has a map showing the 3M store:

https://iglu.net/survivor-guide-chiang-mai-smoky-season/

The masks are 30 baht each:

N95_pollution_mask-1024x768.jpg.1915b7ddfc74ee4f3986cc269c359da7.jpg

3M mask for sale in Boots. 5 for 165 baht...

DAC33259-FE9D-425D-9D2E-5994924B9E63.jpeg

Not all the masks on sale filter out the 2.5 particles. I understand the good ones are sold in Boots and Watsons, 3 for 470 baht.

Unless the face mask makes an air tight seal around your face, bad air will get in. Follow the path of least resistance.

Hospitals use those cheap face masks to stop the person wearing them from breathing on others, not to stop pollution from entering their body.

fm.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Yes these are definitely good.

9501c

Don't be fooled with these fashion masks you see everyone is wearing. Stick with the 3M brand that's reputable and sold worldwide. 

Check out this link

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/

The article was written by a guy in China who knows what he's talking about. 

20190316_172730.png

Edited by lucky2008
  • Like 1

Thank thuk I am leaving next month.

Decent ? What's the problem: you wear them over your face.

~o:37;

Posted (edited)

3M store is the place. That said I am seeing masks, "quality masks" at a number of different places around town recently.   I bought my supply last month and lots of places did not have them. #M store did and more than a few models. I got a supply.

Edited by LomSak27

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I have this exact ones are 65baht in my local pharmacy. I like this one better than the other similar 3M one, which doesn't have the filter. They both filter out PM2.5.

Edited by banagan

2 hours ago, banagan said:

I like this one better than the other similar 3M one, which doesn't have the filter. They both filter out PM2.5.

I agree the 9501V with filter is easier to breath with compared with the 9501C. 

The 9332 is also a good mask. Wasn't able to find any around town so ordered some online from Lazada. 

The class of mask you are looking for is N95. This filters out 2.5 particles. You want to wear this tightly.

Be careful of the masks that make a seal on your skin. Some of these positive pressure mask can be a problem for people who have diminished lung capacity and power. You need a certain amount of air pressure to open and close the valves. Before USA employers are allowed to require an employee to wear some of these masks they are given a lung capacity test.