Decent dust masks

wildpikey

On 3/23/2019 at 10:12 AM, MrBrad said:

Alas, at this point I'm not sure that the product is any better than nothing at all.

You are right - full face seal needed or air intake around the sides.

Follow the path of least resistance.

Only fools expect anything else to provide protection.

Can anyone advise me if these dusk masks can be washed for continual use? or how long you should wear them to be effective?

After the really hideous day a few days ago I out my mask on and could smell the same smell as was in the air the previous day.

Advise anyone?

23 minutes ago, wildpikey said:

Can anyone advise me if these dusk masks can be washed for continual use? or how long you should wear them to be effective?

After the really hideous day a few days ago I out my mask on and could smell the same smell as was in the air the previous day.

Advise anyone?

These are not intended nor designed for continued use.  They are not reusable and should not be washed either.  Moreover, after sweating and breathing through a mask, potentially harmful bacteria will deposit and multiply inside.  I wear mine only when outside the home on errands and rely on them for about a week of such limited use. If you wore a mask continuously all day, it should be discarded and replaced each day with a fresh one. Of course, you commonly see locals wearing funky masks riding about on their motorbikes, but they must be forgiven for their ignorance and more likely their inability to buy masks more often.  Good luck, wildpikey, and stay healthy.

These are not intended nor designed for continued use.  They are not reusable and should not be washed either.  Moreover, after sweating and breathing through a mask, potentially harmful bacteria will deposit and multiply inside.  I wear mine only when outside the home on errands and rely on them for about a week of such limited use. If you wore a mask continuously all day, it should be discarded and replaced each day with a fresh one. Of course, you commonly see locals wearing funky masks riding about on their motorbikes, but they must be forgiven for their ignorance and more likely their inability to buy masks more often.  Good luck, wildpikey, and stay healthy.
Good point on the bacteria.

And you may want to consider mold growth -- none of this you want to breathe.

7 hours ago, steven2018 said:

Good point on the bacteria.

And you may want to consider mold growth -- none of this you want to breathe.

I've actually always wondered about the chemicals they used to produce these masks could they actually be more dangerous than the smoke?

26 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

I've actually always wondered about the chemicals they used to produce these masks could they actually be more dangerous than the smoke?

Possibly, but I have to assume that 3M, other American, Japanese and European manufacturers must comply with some stringent laws governing the materials used and the manufacturing process. I’ll take my chances with a mask, even a Chinese copy. 

3 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Possibly, but I have to assume that 3M, other American, Japanese and European manufacturers must comply with some stringent laws governing the materials used and the manufacturing process. I’ll take my chances with a mask, even a Chinese copy. 

You would be surprised about governments and what they allow companies to get away with.

Hospitals must comply with stringent laws that doesn't stop them from giving out dangerous drugs with known side effects.  I also use a 3M filters regardless but always smell some kind of residue when I first use them.

Archived