BANGKOK 24 April 2019 19:21
Essex Reject

Looking at going back to the UK with the family in 2021

Not quite sure what the point of this thread is as have no specific concerns or questions (well not yet anyway) but would be interested on any thoughts or tips, good or bad.

To keep it short and sweet...I'm 51 been here 15 years, married to a Thai, we have 2 sons aged 10 and 7, who go to private school here, for many reasons (but mainly for a better future for the kids, in school and out of school) I want to call it a day and go back. My wife and kids have been back to the UK twice before on visits, boys have British passports.. What this big move would involve is...

Schools for the kids -  The big problems I'm going o encounter here is for one getting them into a good school, and two I am not there so have no reg address in the UK which you need before you start to apply in a catchment area, which is approx 10 months before he school year is due to start, so this could be a real headache.

Visa for wife - Shouldn't be a problem, although a real headache of course. We have a good case and hope as for as finances are concerned can show the savings amount required of 62,500  I would want us all to go together, not me first for 6 months etc.

Somewhere to live - Would look for rented accom, not cheap, but may be able to stay with my Dad briefly when we get there, but me going back alone could be an option a few mts before to sort something.

Get a job - Even though I won't desperately need to work initially I will need to get a job and i want to work, I have no trade so have no idea what I would do. Wife would be open minded to getting a job.

So a big old task and plenty to think about, any tips or help, or just tell me I must be mad, will be glad to hear it.

ER

• Like 2

Best of luck and success to you.

This could be the start of a memorable and exciting adventure for both you and your family.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

Best of luck and success to you.

This could be the start of a memorable and exciting adventure for both you and your family.

Thanks mate. It really does feel like now (ish) or never. I want my kids to have what I had growing up (and yes I know it's different now) and to get to know my extended family,  my cousins, aunts, uncles etc they don't even know about. Just a Western, civilised (ish) lifestyle. They also have 2 cousins about their age there which is nice

• Like 2

What job do you intend doing ?

A 51 year old with no previous work may find it difficult to get a job 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

15 years in Thailand would mean that you have no recent UK work history and that would be a hindrance in finding a job

Yes agree. One can only do ones best though.

Posted (edited)

You have a very big job on your hands mate and you need to do a lot of research.  Finding a good school is like finding a Unicorn.  Do a lot of checking on the area  where you want to live and on school performance tables.  It's not easy to get a school out of the catchment area where you are living, so where you rent is going to be a big factor. Renting is a nightmare.  You need good references, a UK bank account history and a big deposit.  In addition, any town in the UK has good places and very bad ones, that will reflect in the  quality of the local schools and the quality of life for you and your family.  Again research is the key.  Inevitably, cheap or cheaper in the UK housing market means crap. I don't know your qualifications, but at your age you need to be experienced, qualified and attractive to potential employers.  Some companies, B & Q being a good example, encourage applications from older people, but it is inevitably part time and just a few hours a week. The UK is a part time, zero hours culture now.   Family support is going to be vital.  Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting a visa for your wife.  It's not as easy as it looks and is expensive. A good agent here in Thailand can help a lot. 

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. it's meant to be helpful. I do wish you and your family all the very best of luck in the move. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Education for kids is a biggie for me.

Our son was born and went through elementary, and part of middle school in Singapore, which was excellent. 

Even though we paid for a private  High School in Thailand, it was total garbage, and in no way prepared him for when he ultimately went to college in the US

Best gift you are going to give your sons is getting them out of the Thai educational system

Yes. To be honest the school they are at now seems to be very good, but it's not a Western education, but we're not in the West so hardly the schools fault.

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You have a very big job on your hands mate and you need to do a lot of research.  Finding a good school is like finding a Unicorn.  Do a lot of checking on the area  where you want to live and on school performance tables.  It's not easy to get a school out of the catchment area where you are living, so where you rent is going to be a big factor. Renting is a nightmare.  You need good references and a big deposit.  In addition, any town in the UK has good places and very bad ones, that will reflect in the  quality of the local schools and the quality of life for you and your family.  Again research is the key.  Inevitably, cheap or cheaper in the UK housing market means crap. I don't know your qualifications, but at your age you need to be experienced, qualified and attractive to potential employers.  Some companies, B & Q being a good example, encourage applications from older people, but it is inevitably part time and just a few hours a week. The UK is a part time, zero hours culture now.   Family support is going to be vital.  Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting a visa for your wife.  It's not as easy as it looks and is expensive. A good agent here in Thailand can help a lot. 

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. it's meant to be helpful. I do wish you and your family all the very best of luck in the move. 

No problem mate and thanks. I wouldn't want a school out of the catchment area. I can pay big deposit for rent.

Yes, the visa is a nightmare, but she would be a very good candidate and would be confident she would be fine and yes may well go to a visa co here.

As I said it is a big job yes, but the bottom line is many do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

No problem mate and thanks. I wouldn't want a school out of the catchment area. I can pay big deposit for rent.

Yes, the visa is a nightmare, but she would be a very good candidate and would be confident she would be fine and yes may well go to a visa co here.

As I said it is a big job yes, but the bottom line is many do it.

sounds like you have it covered, good luck and especially good luck coping with the God awful weather after so long here. 

6 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Yes, but at the same time I'm very very tired of this heat as are my wife and kids, then you have the pollution problem.  At least the UK actually has weather. Sometimes 4 lots in a day, lol. Will be nice waking up and wondering what the day will be like instead of KNOWING what the day will be like..every day for 365 days a year.

Would they cope with 3 months of cold , dark ,  rain or drizzle , when its dark by 5 PM?

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting a visa for your wife.  It's not as easy as it looks and is expensive. A good agent here in Thailand can help a lot.

To be fair we have some excellent, free advice in the Visas and Migration to Other Countries forum. @theoldgit is a legend, and I speak from experience.

@Essex Reject I know where you are coming from. It could be a genius move or an absolute disaster. I think the difference is the effort you are prepared to put in, and it is really nice to see you are prepared to kick some ideas around and ask for opinions and contributions from others before you make any moves.

With your positive attitude and sensible approach I am sure you and your family will do very well for yourselves.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated with your progress. You transition will help others so much when they read it in the future.

• Like 1

Hi

You will probably have to go to the UK first and start renting a house. Part of the evidence needed for a settlement visa is a rental agreement and photos of the property. Also, the 62,500 savings is fine for bringing your wife but i think (not sure) it will be slightly more when bringing the kids as well. 

2 minutes ago, Elad said:

Hi

You will probably have to go to the UK first and start renting a house. Part of the evidence needed for a settlement visa is a rental agreement and photos of the property. Also, the 62,500 savings is fine for bringing your wife but i think (not sure) it will be slightly more when bringing the kids as well. 

No, I don't believe that is true at all ref housing. You only need to show you have suitable accomodation initially, could be a family member who has room etc.

Yes, maybe a little more for each child.