BANGKOK 21 April 2019 07:10
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Putting the "F.U." into frugality

You should make a podcast.

14 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Verbiage at it's finest. You have excelled yourself Rooster.

I was just thinking.............'what a lot of old twaddle'.

Wonderful writing, excellently humourous observations, refreshing post.  Thanks - we needed that!

• Like 2

As I sit here in Oz waiting for my knees to heal I'm impressed by Roosters patience with the swarks of the key punches in Thailand. They're either moaning or groaning! Hang in there sir!

As always light on news, but this week particularly high on entertainment. My must read of the week and good to see my home changwat Loei get yet another mention. 

Talking about financials and visas, I assume followers of Thai Visa are aware that should they marry their tilatch that the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa reduces from 65,000฿ to 40,000฿. My Oi and tied the knot 2 weeks ago after 4 years together for precisely that reason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Wonderful writing, excellently humourous observations, refreshing post.  Thanks - we needed that!

Cheers. It's encouraging to get positive comments - unlike Kev-In-Thailand we don't remove the negative posts here! 

Rooster

Rooster please, please, please begin a weekly podcast.

I am sitting here in the dismal surroundings of the UK awaiting my return to Thailand and you have made my past week almost tolerable. You have insight coupled with honesty and humour.

Thank you for your column on behalf of all readers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

As always light on news, but this week particularly high on entertainment. My must read of the week and good to see my home changwat Loei get yet another mention. 

Talking about financials and visas, I assume followers of Thai Visa are aware that should they marry their tilatch that the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa reduces from 65,000฿ to 40,000฿. My Oi and tied the knot 2 weeks ago after 4 years together for precisely that reason. 

Congratulations on the hitching. 

Loei is Mrs Rooster's home province so it will often get a mention. I had an inkling she was the right one for me when we climbed up to the top of Phu Kradung 19 years ago and she didn't complain once!

Rooster

3 hours ago, car720 said:

I was just thinking.............'what a lot of old twaddle'.

When in Rome....

2 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Rooster please, please, please begin a weekly podcast.

I am sitting here in the dismal surroundings of the UK awaiting my return to Thailand and you have made my past week almost tolerable. You have insight coupled with honesty and humour.

Thank you for your column on behalf of all readers.

I used to record the column for Thaivisa Radio 2 until it shut down.  I shall consider your request. 

I am glad that you enjoy the column. For me keeping a sense of humor is vitally important no matter where one lives but especially if one is a foreigner living in a place like Thailand. 

Someone a few weeks ago accused me of dishonesty in a story about going to Brazil. I thought about replying - even dug out an ancient passport with the Rio stamps in it - then thought...why bother. Mostly in my life I have just ignored anyone who is negative or who thinks I am being economical with the khwaam jing. 

Remember to look out for "Roosterisms" in the translating of the news on a daily basis. I do about ten a day and many contain a worthwhile snippet designed to add some honest flavor, comment and perhaps amusement. 

Goodness knows with some of the grim subject matter we need a good laugh!

Regards and keep reading and enjoying Thaivisa. 

Rooster

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Verbiage at it's finest. You have excelled yourself Rooster.

Many years ago we had an heir to the Cadbury empire come to Harrow in Bangkok as a gap student. He talked a good game but lasted less time than it takes me to polish off a Creme Egg. 

Rooster

55 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

I did that almost 2 years ago after being together for nine - does that mean that I will get special dispensations from Immigration for my next visa extension application -  like not having to provide a Google map of our abode -  and a hand drawn map of the same?