20k funds required for tourist?

A 30 day Visa exempt entry.
The requirement is 10,000 baht.

For a 60 day Tourist Visa.
The requirement is 20,000 baht.
Wow. I never knew that. I havent come here as a tourist for about 5 years but never got asked for money then. I assume you can have the equivalent in your own currency? Do they actually check and enforce it?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Wow. I never knew that. I havent come here as a tourist for about 5 years but never got asked for money then. I assume you can have the equivalent in your own currency? Do they actually check and enforce it?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unless they have made a lot of visits recently and stayed months/years it's very unlikely they will get asked to show any cash.

Immigration only tend to ask when looking for a reason to deny entry, and they're usually only looking to deny entry to long term tourists. People visiting occasionally for a two week holiday should not have a problem. The visa exempt scheme is meant for them.

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Currently, the Visa Exempt entry offers a 1-month (30-day) stay upon entry, with an additional 30-days optionally (almost always) granted for an extension at a local immigration office.  Therefore, it is designed to provide a 30 to 60 day stay. 

But, some IOs think the rules for Visa-Exempt are "wrong," and it should only allow a 1 to 2 week stay.  In attempting to carry out their unlawful agenda, they will sometimes reject-entry to those who have been in the country (Visa Exempt or another way) more often, or for longer periods.  Those with previous legal stays on an ED Visa/extensions are targeted with particular venom. 

Legal ways IOs may attempt to reject-entry are by asking to see the required cash, a flight-out within 30-days, and proof of where you will be staying.  If one has all those, but the IO still wants to block-entry, they may claim (with no evidence - i.e. "lie") that the visitor cannot afford their full-stay, and deny entry on this basis.

Someone with frequent or "longer" stays (more than the particular IO thinks is "ok" - since there is no rule-basis), are much more likely be subject to this treatment.  Those below the "unknowable" threshold of time/visits will usually not be asked anything.  Whether the detention-space is full of IO's previous victims already, may also be a factor. 

I would suggest always having the 3 conditions met - money (10K Baht), flight-ticket (out of Thailand within 30-days), and a hotel-booking to show (even if planning to stay elsewhere).

Edited by JackThompson