Motorcycle lanes would reduce Bangkok death toll by 82% - engineer

rooster59

mb.JPG

Image: Daily News

A leading engineer has suggested that the answer to lowering death on the roads in Bangkok is to introduce motorcycle lanes. 

Dr Thanet Wirasiri of the Engineering Institute of Thailand acknowledged that Thailand has some of the most dangerous driving conditions in South East Asia - and things were getting worse all the time. 

In Bangkok about three quarters of deaths involved motorcyclists and there were 3 million bikes on the road in the capital. 

His think-tank is proposing motorcycle lanes on major roads as part of a coordinated approach to better road design - a key problem in Thailand. 

He said that the death toll could be reduced by 82% with such lanes. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-16

mb2.JPG

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a stupid idea.

Does he really think all small and big bikes will all drive with the same speed in one lane? 555

Does he also think that cars, buses, lorries and every other vehicle imaginable will respect those lanes? Or think that motorbikes will stay inside them?

Not that many after all, will even pull over at all for an ambulance, so at rush hour bikes are way less important.

Dedicated lanes would provide some partial relief, but the biggest issue, which the authorities don't seem to want to address, is the total lack of respect and enforcement of road rules. Rules which I might add are there to stop idiots killing each other.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Does he also think that cars, buses, lorries and every other vehicle imaginable will respect those lanes? Or think that motorbikes will stay inside them?

Not that many after all, will even pull over at all for an ambulance, so at rush hour bikes are way less important.

Dedicated lanes would provide some partial relief, but the biggest issue, which the authorities don't seem to want to address, is the total lack of respect and enforcement of road rules. Rules which I might add are there to stop idiots killing each other.

Although theoretically idiots  will remove themselves eventually with some  collateral damage but then again a new set of idiots is always on the way up and the  supply  seems limitless.

53 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Absolute crap.the only way to reduce road deaths in Thailand is to crush every scooter or find a way to do brain transplants.creating scooter lanes will only make room for more som tam stalls.

Do you mean Brain implants? Can't  transplant what's  not there.

As long as the Thai police are too lazy to enforce laws ( driving rules) nothing will change. All talk ( or written rules) have no substance unless they are enforced by the law which means paying a fine or going to jail. ...And ( unfortunately-so far) most motorbike drivers in Thailand think they’re above the law: zigzagging between cars; speeding, driving on sidewalks; three people on one bike; ghost riding; wearing no helmet. —No, most of them would not stay on the special motorcycle lane & drivers of cars/trucks would drive on them also just as they do on bicycle lanes. 

Yup, I'll echo the above, no way José Somchai!

It's just the same with bus lanes (even the semi-segregated BRT), buses won't stay in them (coz they're blocked) and other vehicles won't stay out of them (blocking them). It's a losing battle with no real solution in sight without big cultural changes.

My Thai grandkids are getting to the "can I have a motorcycle" age. Luckily their fathers (who both ride bikes) inherited their intelligence from Mum and have said nope, learn to drive a car.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

and if Bangkok along with every other town/city in the country had had proper planning - all the roads/streets would have been wide enough to support traffic and footpaths

another product of having uneducated people in jobs of responsibility 

and police that do not enforce laws

32 minutes ago, smedly said:

and if Bangkok along with every other town/city in the country had had proper planning - all the roads/streets would have been wide enough to support traffic and footpaths

another product of having uneducated people in jobs of responsibility 

Proper planning?

You're comparing it with western concepts, most of which is not understood here, and very little interest in the idea either.

Footpaths - I remember those. We had concrete footpaths in our village, until the tesaban removed them to widen the road. Now everyone has to walk in the road while trying to avoid the traffic.

I'd agree about uneducated people in positions of responsibility.

I see that as the result of a crap education system that the elite have no interest in improving. If it was improved then people would eventually realise what a raw deal they've had for centuries, leading to resentment and perhaps revolution.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a stupid idea.

Does he really think all small and big bikes will all drive with the same speed in one lane? 555

Traffic is often so congested that even a tiny motobike can't get through....give them their own lane so there's an option for drivers, stand still in your car or drive motobike over a dedicated lane. They also pollute far less and solve the parkingspace issues.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

...they will respect it as much as zebra crossings - ZERO!

30 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Motorcycle lanes would become instant parking spaces by 67% and vendor spaces by 32%, leaving ~1% for the reduction of death toll - soothsayer  

Ah yes, motorcycle lanes, otherwise known as footpaths.

Archived