“Unpredictable, messy” is how the March-24 election is seen by academics

rooster59

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People keep forgetting that the militarist regime will still be in place (officially) right up to the moment when a new government is sworn in. That means THEY control the counting of the votes; THEY control the announcement of that voting result; THEY can refuse any outside, objective agency the right to scrutinise the way the vote was taken and counted; and THEY will still hold all the guns, tanks and bombs and power of imprisonment with which to intimidate a cowed populace (apart from a relative few brave souls who will resist).

And people think these militarists are going to tell the powerless, frightened, browbeaten masses of Thai people the full, untwisted, undistorted truth - and then go off quietly into the night? Oh, please! The militarists will do ANYTHING now to maintain their grip on power.

Let's see. Free and fair one up to the election day has so far been talked about as marred with unscrupulous Government field trips or workshops. But ofcourse those thoughts and statements from people opposing the government and ruling party are false accusations as they were only workshops getting the government in touch with the people and their needs. 

And then there is the results to be in 50 days after the election. Nothing wrong there, takes a longtime to count those ballots, or whatever they do or will do with them. May take them 150 days if not enough EC Members available to take on the heavy task. One can only perceive what the outcome will be as come hail or high water it all points one way.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

do you think the early vote will be counted?

if yes will there be a reaction?

The early vote is not supposed to be counted until after the polls close next Sunday. The ballots are supposed to be sorted into their constituencies and securely transported to those constituencies for counting along with all the others.

However, the temptation to pass a glancing eye over various parties tallies, to, umh, help guide any processes which may become necessary in the intervening week, may be somewhat irresistible.

18 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Unpredictable and messy....and ????  So What!  What is TVF going to do about it?  Come one, don't be shy...what are we going to do about?

You know very well that there is nothing we can do, other than pass comment.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the French protests every weekend for the last six or so months have shown what an angry populace can achieve, and speculated that such would not be possible here or in the UK, but I had forgotten that in 2008 the much-reviled Yellow Shirts demonstrated very clearly how you could bring a country to a halt.

2 hours ago, blazes said:

I wonder if Thailand could learn anything about political action from the "gilets jaunes" of France.

Judging by the passivity of the British (over the snatching of Brexit from the 52percenters by the Remainers among the MPs and peers), it would be unreasonable to expect anything unusual to happen here.  Britain sends the ruling class here a clear message about how it is done.....let people talk, as long as the talk (and vote) is meaningless.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Oh gawd,,Brexit,,

I guess the obsessive,anally retentive pommies had to squeeze it in somewhere.

Who-the flying fox-is interested in English toilet training?

Now back to the subject at hand-which has nothing to do with the English,thankfully.

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh gawd,,Brexit,,

Now back to the subject at hand-which has nothing to do with the English,thankfully.

I am British but I also am fed up with the Brexit "thing". But I do agree with blazes inasfar as a referendum/vote was taken and the MEP's and peers etc refusing to accept it because it didn't go their way, (and are scared of losing their lucrative salaries expenses and pensions!) and want another referendum(s?) until it does!

As David Essex put it:- "Oh what a circus, oh what a show"

24 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh gawd,,Brexit,,

Perhaps being a native of a country at the bottom of the world makes it difficult  to see how things connect up in the outside world.  

As Lenin and Trotsky taught us so eloquently, revolution can not be confined to just one country.

Thus what happens in France (but not in England or maybe Thailand) is a topic for discussion (rather than throwing one's toys out of the pram).

Sorry if it's confusing.

Just now, blazes said:

Perhaps being a native of a country at the bottom of the world makes it difficult  to see how things connect up in the outside world.  

As Lenin and Trotsky taught us so eloquently, revolution can not be confined to just one country.

Thus what happens in France (but not in England or maybe Thailand) is a topic for discussion (rather than throwing one's toys out of the pram).

Sorry if it's confusing.

Naw..I don't think 'tis confusing-after all the Scots,Welsh and Irish are desperate to get away from you..

Can you kindly tell me what "Brexit" has to do with the coming elections in Thailand or shall we compare "Commando" comics together..

But you just had to sneak Brexit in,didn't you?

The true hallmark of an obsessive..

5 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Very few Thai people seem to know that the Senate will have 1/3 of the voting power when it is time to choose the next Prime Minister.  I wonder how people will react when the Junta-appointed Senate ignore the popular vote and select Prayut as the next PM. 

I can recall a line from the movie Pearl Harbour when, after bombing Pearl Harbour a Japanese officer said "I'm afraid we may have awoken a sleeping dragon" this may well be the case here.

6 hours ago, MaxLee said:

You mean, Ultra corrupt with a lot of hidden agendas, cheating, corruption, vote buying, stalking and brown envelopes behind the scenes.

Is that not every election in every country, certainly in the UK at this time ????

6 hours ago, MaxLee said:

You mean, Ultra corrupt with a lot of hidden agendas, cheating, corruption, vote buying, stalking and brown envelopes behind the scenes.

I still say that anyone who takes a brown envelope and doesn't vote for the party he really supports, is a nutter. It's an opportunity to put one over on the opposition, TWICE!

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

And if that doesn't work as planned there is always the fall-back position of another coup led by the new military commander General Apirat Kongsompong who will likely make PM Prayut look like Mother Teresa.

Apirat-Kongsompong.jpg

He has the same row of shiny plastic medal ribbons that my teacher wife wears once a week! I must recommend that she gets some shiny plastic para wings as well.

4 hours ago, blazes said:

I wonder if Thailand could learn anything about political action from the "gilets jaunes" of France.

Judging by the passivity of the British (over the snatching of Brexit from the 52percenters by the Remainers among the MPs and peers), it would be unreasonable to expect anything unusual to happen here.  Britain sends the ruling class here a clear message about how it is done.....let people talk, as long as the talk (and vote) is meaningless.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Good post. Us Brits never react until it's almost too late, then the sleeping tiger wakes to put things right. Then sleepy-byes again.

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh gawd,,Brexit,,

It does have its parallels though, the democratic will of the people being hijacked by a privileged few.

52 minutes ago, jesimps said:

He has the same row of shiny plastic medal ribbons that my teacher wife wears once a week! I must recommend that she gets some shiny plastic para wings as well.

And a miniature portrait of Elvis Presley?

Thailand is well on the way to being another China/Vietnam/North Korea - the difference is that the locals have been totally brainwashed into thinking they have democracy.

All of Asia is going this way. One party states everywhere in SE Asia.

Anyway, at least the 7eleven has started selling Leo again, so I can now have my belated Saturday night.

Happy St Pats Day ya <deleted>!

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

I have a friend who is a private high school teacher. She came to meet me recently in her "Scout uniform".

Beautiful white uniform, jacket and smart skirt and a chest full of medals. Looked like a Rear Admiral.

27 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I have a friend who is a private high school teacher. She came to meet me recently in her "Scout uniform".

Beautiful white uniform, jacket and smart skirt and a chest full of medals. Looked like a Rear Admiral.

Just reading this is a big turn on. All in white. Chest full of medals. Yum yum.

45 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Mmm. My second favourite uniform.

First favourite is French maid.

46 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

The boxes will be collected by the EC and kept till next Sunday. Real cause for worries. Why don’t they count the votes after early poll closed today. Very very fishy. 

We have a solider friend who comes in and helps around the home.On Friday he had to go and cast his vote . My wife asked him who He is voting for .. He just looked at her ..There are over 300,000 soldiers in this country ...  easy votes???

Archived