“Unpredictable, messy” is how the March-24 election is seen by academics

rooster59

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

14 hours ago, Dooball said:

Rumor is that ballot boxes are being opened to "sort" the votes in a neatly manner. Aren't those boxes supposed to be sealed until the official count??? ????

the other word for Rumors is Fake News

15 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Unpredictable ? BS from the academics. Outcome already decided.

these are the very folks who almost never bring up decentralization of the schools, which was underway just as this whole series of events began.  as a "kohn tung chat" [foreigner] of course it's not really my business except that it does stop me cold from being a long term bull on Thailand, investment wise and it is the first and last thing public policy wise that I ever think of for this country, aside from preparing to mitigate Climate related things such as preparing for any chance of a more pervasive ENSO, and equalizing the health care schemes they have.... which would complement decentralization of the schools just fine. 

On 3/17/2019 at 2:23 AM, nickstav said:

"If your vote really mattered, they wouldn't let you do it".....Mark Twain.

Well they allowed the British people in 2016 to vote on whether they wanted to remain in the E.U. And they voted No, in the largest turnout to a British election. Then they ignored their vote. 

22 hours ago, harada said:

I can recall a line from the movie Pearl Harbour when, after bombing Pearl Harbour a Japanese officer said "I'm afraid we may have awoken a sleeping dragon" this may well be the case here.

"Isoroku Yamamoto regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor by forces of Imperial Japan. ... I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

2 hours ago, Thairealist said:

Well they allowed the British people in 2016 to vote on whether they wanted to remain in the E.U. And they voted No, in the largest turnout to a British election. Then they ignored their vote. 

It wasn't the largest turnout by a long chalk. And they never asked them how to leave.

When the Wife went to vote. Her area was Number one. They told her no you are in the wrong area. You want number two. She went to number two area to be told, no you should be voting in Area one. But it’s ok you can vote here. Do spoiled votes not get counted. Think what you like. Also she asked about the plastic unsealed boxes. Think from Big C. She was told. They are strong. Her answer was yes but can be swapped easily. We left sharpish.

In Singapore voters have to show their ID. They are then given a voting slip which has a bar code that is linked and therefore traceable to their ID. So you can guess who the government, police, army and most people who don’t want any comebacks vote for. Nothing is secret when it comes to politics and money. 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, MaxLee said:

You mean, Ultra corrupt with a lot of hidden agendas, cheating, corruption, vote buying, stalking and brown envelopes behind the scenes.

And what, pray tell, is "unpredictable" about any of this?

On 3/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, Tongjaw said:

In Singapore voters have to show their ID. They are then given a voting slip which has a bar code that is linked and therefore traceable to their ID. So you can guess who the government, police, army and most people who don’t want any comebacks vote for. Nothing is secret when it comes to politics and money. 

are you comparing Thailand to Singapore? it's like comparing apples to oranges, can't do

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

are you comparing Thailand to Singapore? it's like comparing apples to oranges, can't do

I’m stating that nothing is clear and fair in politics. Do you really think Singaporean government workers, business owners, police officers and army are going to vote for an new party when they know the government has information on who they vote for.  I lived and worked in Singaporean so have many Singaporean friends. Singapore to me is a great country but to locals they just call the PAP political party in power the Pay And Pay party. 

Archived