General Prem among 900,000 to cast early votes tomorrow

rooster59

General Prem among 900,000 to cast early votes tomorrow

Prem-Tinsulanon.jpg

Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda will be among some 900,000 early voters in Bangkok to cast their general election ballots tomorrow. About two million people registered as early voters nation-wide.

The first public appearance of the ageing statesman, after several months of hospital visits, will dispel speculation that he was seriously ill.  He will cast this ballot at a polling booth inside Sukhothai School tomorrow morning at about 9 am.

Meanwhile, a large number of troops, including conscripts, will be trucked to polling stations to vote tomorrow in Bangkok, Lop Buri, Prachin Buri and Sa Kaeo provinces.  Election officials have made preparations to avoid chaos or public confusion that may arise from such mass movement of military personnel.Army Commander-in-Chief General Apirat Kongsompong will vote on March 24th.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/general-prem-among-900000-to-cast-early-votes-tomorrow/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-17

10 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda will be among some 900,000 early voters in Bangkok to cast their general election ballots tomorrow.

Out of interest I wonder what qualifies him for early voting?

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Out of interest I wonder what qualifies him for early voting?

As far as I know everyone could have applied for today's early vote.

No justification needed.

It has been made clear that those who applied for early voting and miss it will not be allowed next Sunday.

Guess for the honorable Privy Councilor Prem no application needed and every exception possible :whistling:

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile, a large number of troops, including conscripts, will be trucked to polling stations to vote tomorrow in Bangkok, Lop Buri, Prachin Buri and Sa Kaeo provinces.

And adding conscripts in the statement itself is a thumbs back at whomever thinks that their indoctrination by force into the military will ever stop. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

As far as I know everyone could have applied for today's early vote.

Just to note the anomalous decision by a previous Constitutional Court regarding the February 2014 election.

The Constitutional Court judges ruled in a 6 to 3 vote on Friday that the election was unconstitutional because voting failed to take place on the same day around the country.

As a result the Court annulled the election (Yingluck predicted to win).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-protest/thailand-in-limbo-after-election-annulled-economy-suffering-idUSBREA2K05520140321

7 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Just to note the anomalous decision by a previous Constitutional Court regarding the February 2014 election.

So if they don't fancy the election results they can repeat this :whistling:

"bogus election in Thailand" was a headline I saw this morning.

I call it a farce.

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Where can one find English language information on the election? Parties? Manifestos?

Frankly, your best bet is to work your way through the online back issues of The Nation or Bangkok Post. Otherwise it's the thumbnail sketches you will have found on here.

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Frankly, your best bet is to work your way through the online back issues of The Nation or Bangkok Post. Otherwise it's the thumbnail sketches you will have found on here.

Thanks for replying!

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Thanks for replying!

Not at all - we both know we share a keen interest in politics!

????????

We might even be in nearby, or the same camps on this one!

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And adding conscripts in the statement itself is a thumbs back at whomever thinks that their indoctrination by force into the military will ever stop. 

Happening by me   too, truck  loads blocking the roads to vote  for Prayut no doubt, absolutely  SHAMEFUL.

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Happening by me   too, truck  loads blocking the roads to vote  for Prayut no doubt, absolutely  SHAMEFUL.

Where are you located? Why do you say no doubt? All Thai people have to vote in their home registered place, unless there is a special clause that allows military people to vote where they are stationed. But I would figure that would be an absentee ballot.

But if that is the case, then they are allowed to vote anonymous. But just hypothetically, the scary thing on that could be the votes could probably be seen and if they don't have the majority in the Junta's favor after 5000 military soldiers vote, then I would think all holy hell would come back and kick them. Example: 5000 military soldiers vote at one poling place, then after quickly counted by EC and then after intel given to Junta, 4,700 votes not for Junta and 300 for. What do we all think would happen to those soldiers? I don't for one second think no problem as it would probably be considered as an act of treason. 

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Where are you located? Why do you say no doubt? All Thai people have to vote in their home registered place, unless there is a special clause that allows military people to vote where they are stationed. But I would figure that would be an absentee ballot.

But if that is the case, then they are allowed to vote anonymous. But just hypothetically, the scary thing on that could be the votes could probably be seen and if they don't have the majority in the Junta's favor after 5000 military soldiers vote, then I would think all holy hell would come back and kick them. Example: 5000 military soldiers vote at one poling place, then after quickly counted by EC and then after intel given to Junta, 4,700 votes not for Junta and 300 for. What do we all think would happen to those soldiers? I don't for one second think no problem as it would probably be considered as an act of treason. 

Don't disagree, but for goodness' sake, it's a 3rd-world country in a 3rd-world region with 3rd-wold populations. The average Thai is not smart because he/she has been educated by teachers who are also under-educated and not smart themselves. Blind leading the blind. The average Thai is merely (and treated as such) fuel to make the rich richer, that's all. And the population has been indoctrinated for decades to be compliant and downtrodden.

What did you expect from them? Thinking before voting? Free and fair elections? Equality of opportunity? Anything that isn't 3rd-world standard? The whole culture and society is geared towards making the people who really run the country richer - and that's all. The whole point of P{rayuth is not to make Thailand better, or a developed country, or to make Thai a lingua france, the whole point of Prayuth is to prevent anything important from changing. God forbid the sucker fish should have to put their hands in their overflowing pockets or admit they're the same as the peasants or have toilets in their homes and have to use them. Nononono.

Wakey Wakey.

Archived