BANGKOK
hapy2rtire

Laptop/tech in Thailand

42 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dont cut your ties to the USA. The weather is simply nasty in the summer. 

Good move coming in the nastytime though. Get a taste of it right from the get go. I did that when I moved to Alaska. Pulled up to the border at -50 F.

ow, that sounds tough!!  Then -50 F to 90's F. You do like extremes, haha. 

3 hours ago, hapy2rtire said:

So thoughts on antivirus software?

With windows 10 I'm told it has protection already, I only have windows 7 and use Avast free antivirus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

With windows 10 I'm told it has protection already, I only have windows 7 and use Avast free antivirus. 

I thought all the windows had Windows Defender?  I use Bitdefender because it has the most up to date anti virus stuff.  Bitdefender Wins 2018 Awards from World’s Top 2 Independent Testing Firms.   https://www.bitdefender.com/news/bitdefender-wins-2018-awards-from-worlds-top-2-independent-testing-firms-3639.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I thought all the windows had Windows Defender? 

Maybe !! ...OP bought his US so legit but my windows 7 came with my laptop I bought in Thailand which is a copy by all account and one of the top/best whatever free antivirus is Avast which my friend put on for me he knows about computers I have little knowledge of computers.

I have no problems at all.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

...OP bought his US so legit but my windows 7 came with my laptop I bought in Thailand

That IMO is a huge misconception. If it doesn't actually state that the computer comes with OEM Windows installed, then any installed operating systems would need proof of purchase regardless of where you are in the world. To me anyway.

As someone mentioned earlier, the internet is the internet, it is a global entity. Operating systems are available everywhere, both legal and not-so-legal, activation software (freely) available if you know where to look for it. One should never assume that because you purchased the computer in a so called 1st world country that everything is legit unless it has been proven that 100% of computer techs in 100% of computer shops are above board.