BANGKOK 19 April 2019 03:32
Fat Prophet

Mobile Wifi Router

I have a holiday home that gets used a few days each month. I am looking for a good/economical wifi option. I have seen a mobile hotspot router on Lazada that will directly accept a sim card. I can get a 6 mbps plan, which is cost effective. Does anyone use this setup in their home? Is the wifi signal strong and reasonably fast? Can you recommend a mobile router? Thanks for any help/guidance. FP

we bought a 'D' Link at Tech City (3,500 Baht) that works with a AIS SIM.  600 Bhat per month for the sim and gives us unlimited download and high speed.  never regretted it. We do our internet stuff off it, including streaming movies and of course, it fits in the pocket so goes everywhere with us. Great bit of kit. . 

• Like 1

Agree. We drive around Thailand for two weeks covering Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia borders. Used a mobile WiFi hotspot (AIS) for connectivity throughout the drive. Excellent service except for some very remote areas north of Chiang Mai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not just do it with your phone?  Go to settings - tethering and Mobile hotspot.

because it's expensive? 

19 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I have a true-pocket portable wifi (same size as the old blackberry phone)  I got 4G cost about 3500 baht.  Now top-up annually for 3,900 baht 4G unlimited downloads.  Just moved house so did not bother installing broadband.  Beauty of is I can take it anywhere in Thailand knowing I have my own secure wifi.

Hope this helps.

Yep, great in the car to keep the kids quiet as they watch movies. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

because it's expensive? 

I'm guessing he means with a change of SIM....

I paid 600 baht for a cell phone with tethering capability. Came with a Sim. Top up anywhere. Easy to carry around, super cheap data plans, tether my lappy at will to my own secure network.

Plus I can call with it, surf internet, use GPS, alarm clock, mp3 player.

Far more capability than a dedicated hotspot device.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Why is it expensive ? the OP is talking about the same thing, internet via sim card then a device to share it wifi. a phone will do the same thing as a pocket wifi router. I use an old phone with a broken screen for just that purpose.

Unless you have unlimited package on your mobile it is very expensive on 'pay as you go'.  A D link sim with an unlimited package is 600 Bhat per month with AIS. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Unless you have unlimited package on your mobile it is very expensive on 'pay as you go'.  A D link sim with an unlimited package is 600 Bhat per month with AIS. 

Everyone here quotes 'unlimited' without being specific. How about a screenshot of the actual plan?

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not just do it with your phone?  Go to settings - tethering and Mobile hotspot.

I have been doing that, but it is very slow and one of my computers will not recognize the hotspot. I was thinking of getting 1 fast sim (6 Mbps) and installing it in a router that would get better coverage for the entire house. I am looking at a TP Link AR400; it gets very good reviews, but it is not cheap (B4,000 on Lazada). This is better, I think, than installing faster sims in everyone's phones. But the latter is certainly an option. Thanks. 

• Like 1