Mobile Wifi Router

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find all the companies have unlimited but its at a very slow speed 1mps etc, higher speed is not usually unlimited.

I think i know exactly how they all work, so quoting 'unlimited' without parameters is wholly pointless.

New SIMs don't have truly unlimited data. So a lot of the advice here is completely misleading.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Helping how? Mentioning 600 baht for 'unlimited' but with no actual parameters? So what is the point of mentioning 600 baht at all? How is it 'helpful'?

It isn't.

Bored with this now. 

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

That's odd. How do they block mobile data usage? Sounds like nonsense.

It's certainly possible. My mother has a Telstra modem (Australia) with a data SIM in it and it's locked to the modem, won't work in her iPhone

1 minute ago, Fat Prophet said:

CAT has a "Promotion" through the end of this month on wifi data plans -- 1 Mbps is B1,200 per year. This is what I and my 2 daughters presently use and it is fine for e-mail and Youtube. The gf uses a weekly plan on AIS (not sure what it is). 4 Mbps is B2,500 per year and the 6 Mbps is B1800 for 6 months. I think that the permanent, whole house option with 6 Mbps is better, regardless of whether I upgrade to higher speeds on the phones when the current plans expire next month. I would not go above 4 Mbps on the phones unless I was doing the phone hotspot option. 

Can anyone suggest a tv over internet solution -- I also need to arrange for tv as there is presently no cable tv in the house. Thanks.

Only using existing SIMs registered before the 1st of Feb.

New SIM, not possible.

What is a wifi data plan??? I'm guessing you mean mobile data. The CAT plans can be bettered by LINE mobile, location permitting.

8 minutes ago, JamJar said:

More 'unlimited data' nonsense. Are you referring to 'capped speed' plans?

Every data plan in the world has a limit of data use before the speed is capped. This is common knowledge.

There is an endless array of options of how much data, at what speed, with which provider, ect.

With all the energy you are putting into being argumentative you could have googled and found a dozen plans already.

2 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Every data plan in the world has a limit of data use before the speed is capped. This is common knowledge.

There is an endless array of options of how much data, at what speed, with which provider, ect.

With all the energy you are putting into being argumentative you could have googled and found a dozen plans already.

Stop posting nonsense. Your knowledge is limited and you are posting it as fact when it is not.

I'm posting because I know and am refuting the nonsense that is being posted, including yours.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm just back from Indonesia where I used a 4G LTE portable router for movies, browsing, better reception, alternative network coverage and power bank.

Do we have 4G LTE here?

Of course...

But unless you have a SIM registered before the 1st of Feb, you might be out of luck for when it comes to some of the truly unlimited data packages.

13 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

It's certainly possible. My mother has a Telstra modem (Australia) with a data SIM in it and it's locked to the modem, won't work in her iPhone

Apparently some here think that is nonsense. so thanks for giving us another example. They clearly got out of the wrong side of the bed today, or maybe everyday.

45 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

because it's expensive? 

ais super wifi
3bb wifi unlimited

or
AIS net extreme 4G internet package

or phone

4G Max Speed package Monthly fee 688 Baht, Voice 300mins, Internet total of 20GB, including 4G/3G internet 16GB and 4G Internet 4GB (to stop afterward), and Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi. Exceed:Voice 1.50B./min, SMS 3B., MMS 4B., Net 99B./GB, 12 Bills.

Package for every need and many more besides the above

10 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Only using existing SIMs registered before the 1st of Feb.

New SIM, not possible.

What is a wifi data plan??? I'm guessing you mean mobile data. The CAT plans can be bettered by LINE mobile, location permitting.

I have 2 CAT sims that are 1 year old. So, if this is a limitation, I can easily switch my CAT data sim to the router and upgrade the speed, and get a new sim for my phone. 

I hope that "wifi data plan" is obvious; should be. I was not aware that Line offers a wifi/mobile data plan. Happy with CAT, but I will check on Line before making the decision to upgrade. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Stop posting nonsense. Your knowledge is limited and you are posting it as fact when it is not.

I'm posting because I know and am refuting the nonsense that is being posted, including yours.

You've offered nothing of value to this thread, it sounds like you are having a bad day and just wanna yell at people. It's mildly amusing but nothing more.

Fact: all data plans cap speed at some point, even unlimited ones.

Fact: unlimited and speed cap are 2 different things.

Fact: I have unlimited data. Yes, truly unlimited. Not that the high speed is unlimited, refer to the previous fact if still confused.

Fact: You will attract more flies with honey than vinager. Coming on here ranting and raving, dismissing everything others post, is for a minute mildly amusing but nothing more. It's like watching a little kid throw a tantrum at the store because he wants candy. Sure, I will watch bemused for a second, entertained how others react, but I'm not about to go run and find the spoiled kid some candy.

Hope that makes sense...

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Apparently some here think that is nonsense. so thanks for giving us another example.  

It is. They just need to enter the correct APN and connection details.

I've been advising on these matters for very many years and unlocking USB modems for free for at least ten years...so I think I might know of what I write.

6 minutes ago, Happystance said:

You've offered nothing of value to this thread, it sounds like you are having a bad day and just wanna yell at people. It's mildly amusing but nothing more.

Fact: I have unlimited data. Yes, truly unlimited. Not that the high speed is unlimited, refer to the previous fact if still confused.

Fact: You will attract more flies with honey than vinager. Coming on here ranting and raving, dismissing everything others post, is for a minute mildly amusing but nothing more. It's like watching a little kid throw a tantrum at the store because he wants candy. Sure, I will watch bemused for a second, entertained how others react, but I'm not about to go run and find the spoiled kid some candy.

Hope that makes sense...

Sunday is just not a good day for some people. ????

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

I've been advising on these matters for very many years and unlocking USB modems for free for at least ten years...so I think I might know of what I write.

Huh. I would have never guessed you know of "what you write" given the little "advising" you've what you've actually posted in this thread. 

Perhaps the trouble is in the delivery...

The term wifi data plan refers to having acces to the companies (dtac, AIS etc) wifi hotspots in shopping malls etc. it can be great if your condo etc is in range of the carrier wifi on shopping centres, beaches etc.

9 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

I have 2 CAT sims that are 1 year old. So, if this is a limitation, I can easily switch my CAT data sim to the router and upgrade the speed, and get a new sim for my phone. 

I hope that "wifi data plan" is obvious; should be. I was not aware that Line offers a wifi/mobile data plan. Happy with CAT, but I will check on Line before making the decision to upgrade. Thanks.

CAT doesn't appear to have the current limitations of AIS/DTAC/Truemove H, so look a good choice if having a good signal at your location.

WiFi plan is something quite different. http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/wifi/entry/3597?ln=en

LINE mobile plans aren't speed capped, so a different proposition. if 6 Mbps is enough for you, then CAT is best.

I use a 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) for streaming on my TV in Thailand.

To maybe draw a line under all this, if it works for you, then all is good.  I have no idea of speeds, limitations, the price of bread and milk, but I know what works for me.  I switch on my computer and watch a movie.  It doesn't buffer, it doesn't stop unexpectedly and my wife can also watch her mad Thai soaps at the same time.  Good enough for me.  I don't need to know the technical details, just does it work and how much does it cost. End of argument, at least as far as I am concurred. 

10 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Hope that makes sense...

Unfortunately most of your post is wrong. 

There are many here that have capped speed plans that are truly unlimited in data. In fact the OP has linked to such.

Whereas the plans to which you are likely referring have a certain amount of data at high speed. When that is depleted, it slows down to a crawl, but you still have a connection.

People still refer to these plans as unlimited.

In addition there are full speed plans that are truly unlimited. Full speed and no slowdown. But they are not 600 baht, but 1605 baht.

So, you don't appear to have any idea of what you are going on about. No wonder that Pilotman has hitched his horse to your wagon.....not a clue.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

To maybe draw a line under all this, if it works for you, then all is good.  I have no idea of speeds, limitations, the price of bread and milk, but I know what works for me.  I switch on my computer and watch a movie.  It doesn't buffer, it doesn't stop unexpectedly and my wife can also watch her mad Thai soaps at the same time.  Good enough for me.  I don't need to know the technical details, just does it work and how much does it cost. End of argument, at least as far as I am concurred. 

That's fine. But then don't claim it is unlimited if you don't know.

There is no argument. It's about posting facts, not conjecture.

600 baht a month is a lot. 

5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

CAT doesn't appear to have the current limitations of AIS/DTAC/Truemove H, so look a good choice if having a good signal at your location.

WiFi plan is something quite different. http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/wifi/entry/3597?ln=en

LINE mobile plans aren't speed capped, so a different proposition. if 6 Mbps is enough for you, then CAT is best.

I use a 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) for streaming on my TV in Thailand.

Thanks. I am not sure if 6 Mbps is adequate, but it is all that CAT offers (at least in their broadly available brochures). I checked on the internet and most sites say that 5 Mbps is sufficient for "normal" internet requirements, so I am assuming that 6 Mbps is "ok".  I have a combined cable tv and internet package in my other house from Banglamung Cable and TV, which is acceptable. CAT does offer wired internet access in the area of my beach house, but not cable tv.  I am guessing it is triple the price per month of the 6 Mbps option.  

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Thanks. You and I think alike, but I do know the price of bread and milk. This house gets 4 or 5 nights a month use, so I am more economy conscious that usual. But the internet does need to work adequately or the tendency is to stay at the other house. To avoid having to go back and search your replies, can you summarise your internet/wifi setup in your home. Thanks a lot.  

45 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Show us the data limit of this plan before the speed is capped(you mean throttled anyway) ; http://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=90_แพ็กเกจเสริม-my-เน็ตเพลิน-1,-4,-6-Mbps

...since you claim it is 'common knowledge.

Too much misinformation.

13 minutes ago, JamJar said:

That's fine. But then don't claim it is unlimited if you don't know.

There is no argument. It's about posting facts, not conjecture.

600 baht a month is a lot. 

Will you never give up. What part of I don't care don't you understand?  

5 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Thanks. You and I think alike, but I do know the price of bread and milk. This house gets 4 or 5 nights a month use, so I am more economy conscious that usual. But the internet does need to work adequately or the tendency is to stay at the other house. To avoid having to go back and search your replies, can you summarise your internet/wifi setup in your home. Thanks a lot.  

You are better off describing your home, as Pilotman's place may be quite different.

A router is useful if you intend to transfer files within your network or if you have many rooms/floors. Otherwise a MiFi might suffice.

7 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Certainly, main supplier, TOT fibre, 500 Baht per month.  We also have a mobile 'D' Link with AIS  that my wife and the kids use extensively when they are out and about, 600 Baht per month.   

Archived